Start by marking “The Jersey Devil” as Want to Read:
The Jersey Devil

The Jersey Devil

The Jersey Devil, the best selling book on New Jersey's infamous Jersey Devil (over 50,000 in print) is now a major motion picture: 13th Child: Legend of the Jersey Devil starring Cliff Robertson, Lesley-Anne Down and Robert Guillaume. This is the book that inspired the movie Complete with photographs.
Published October 1st 1987 by Middle Atlantic Press (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Jersey Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jersey Devil

Donna
Jan 06, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having moved down to south jersey from Bergen County...I figured it's time to get into the lore of the state. This is my first book on the Jersey Devil or Leeds Devil. A very quick read, with photos and illustrations. There are a few tales of the "devil's" origination. I'm still tickled it was a subjecy for The X Files television show.

Driving down here on NJ's back roads, with none of the streetlights that I'm used to from up North, I wouldn't doubt something could, maybe still exist..... It is
Robert
Feb 23, 2014 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: folklore, new-jersey
I picked this up sometime during the last decade or so as my interest in the Pine Barrens exploded. For some reason, I didn't get to reading it until today.

While the Jersey Devil is legendary here in South Jersey, my knowledge of the legend is minimal. I recall seeing a very good movie (on film) when I was in elementary school in the 1970s. Mother Leed gave birth on a dar and stormy evening.

This book did not provide the kind of details I hoped it would. Rather, it basically just chronicled sight
Brian
Jan 11, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it
Interesting read...being that I remember driving through The Pine Barrens of New Jersey (the "home" of The Jersey Devil) when I was a child going to Barnegat, NJ to visit my Grandma Tyndall. While "The X-Files" had the NJ Devil being a "cavewoman", the NJ Devil may be any number of creatures!! The best part of this book were the newspaper cartoons depicting the NJ Devil as a clownish creature wearing a hat and holding a balloon! Word of caution: don't get lost in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey i ...more
Jonette
Nov 07, 2013 Jonette rated it liked it
Having grown up in suburban New Jersey, we had always heard the legend of "The Jersey Devil" by word of mouth. That legend was always repeated and extra scary while away at camp. This book actually documents the various accounts and sightings. A must read for those from Jersey who have heard the legend and question it's origins.
Elisha (lishie)
Aug 06, 2012 Elisha (lishie) rated it liked it
On a small road trip with my sister, we passed through the Pine Barrens in South NJ. My hubby brought up the story of the Jersey Devil, which neither my sister or I knew (being from Florida, not NJ). It made for a great old-time car conversation! When we returned home, my hubby found a copy of this book he had from childhood. And it was a fun, creepy read for vacation!
Andrew
Aug 25, 2012 Andrew rated it liked it
This book mainly dealt with the folklore of the Jersey Devil, the early sightings of the creature, and the incredibly active week in January, 1909. A few post-1909 sightings are mentioned, too. The Jersey Devil was always one of my favorite of the cryptids, although I really think that it's more mass hysteria than cryptid. Nonetheless interesting.
Lyle Deixler
Mar 18, 2013 Lyle Deixler rated it really liked it
A great account and history of the legend of the Jersey Devil. There's also some really interesting facts about New Jersey's infamous Pine Barrens region.
Jim
Nov 26, 2007 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: real-ass-shit
This was good. My friends and I swear we heard the Jersey Devil when we were kids. Though now I'm pretty sure it was just cats in the woods making loud passionate Kittah sex.
Alex Aloise
This was sitting on my shelf for close to 20 years before I finally got around to reading it. Wish I could say it was worth the wait...
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
After seeing an episode of the X-Files in which the Jersey Devil was featured, I just had to read this book. I hadn't realized that New Jersey had so much wilderness. Eerie.
Emily Louise
Emily Louise rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2013
S. M.
S. M. rated it it was ok
Oct 03, 2016
Mckinley
Aug 13, 2016 Mckinley rated it liked it
After camp at Mt. Misery in 6th grade... had to read about this.
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2016
Carol Ann
Carol Ann rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Richard
He is totally real
Ray
Ray rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Jonathan Brill
Jonathan Brill rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2015
James Willis
James Willis rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Signor Mambrino
Signor Mambrino rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2011
Alex Whiteland
Alex Whiteland rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2014
Adriana
Adriana rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Justin Bruno
Justin Bruno rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2012
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2013
Shant
Shant rated it it was ok
May 21, 2016
Noran Miss Pumkin
Noran Miss Pumkin rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2008
Dave
Dave rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2008