Start by marking “The Marathon Method: The 16-Week Training Program that Prepares You to Finish a Full or Half Marathon at Your Best Time” as Want to Read:

Get Ready to Run!A complete guide to training for a half or full marathon in sixteen weeks, this book follows the format of Tom's previous book The 12-Week Triathlete with simply the best advice on how to run your fastest race while staying injury-free. Whether you are a first-time marathoner, trying to set a new "PR" or looking to qualify for Boston, this book is for you. ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Fair Winds Press

To ask other readers questions about The Marathon Method, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marathon Method

David Clark
Oct 07, 2014 David Clark rated it really liked it
Great book to get started with marathons, but it's getting a little outdated with respect to some of the technology that is out there. But training-wise, injuries, rest, and schedules are all really helpful.
Thelawgoddess Turner
Nov 05, 2009 Thelawgoddess Turner rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone training (or even thinking about training) for a marathon.
I was well into my training when I read this, so I didn't use it to help set up my program. What I did use it for was many of the other great helpful hints it provided -- like making sure you've tried everything you might use in the marathon (including your clothing and fuel). It also helped answer some very basic questions -- like what if I need to pee during the race? It's an easy, informative read, and the author offers some great anecdotes from his own personal experiences.
Suzanna Ney
Oct 23, 2015 Suzanna Ney rated it it was amazing
Awesome Book! May never make a marathon but lots of encouraging words and great advise and tips for skills improvement.
Antonio Farias
Mar 03, 2013 Antonio Farias rated it really liked it
Solid compilation of practical advice on all aspects of distance training. Only glitch in the plans offered - you have to read chapter 5 carefully in order to really make sense of the training plans otherwise you'll miss core workouts and tempo, speed, and slow balance to the training cycle. Since I have a gym membership, I've modified the weights part to nautilus machines.
Jen
Jun 25, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
The advice is practical, but most of it I have heard before from running friends, internet articles and other sources. I used the intermediate training plan for a half-marathon this June, and I found the plan to be effective for my level of fitness. I am now starting the marathon plan for a race in October. I guess I'll report back and let you know if I finished!
Lowell
Oct 07, 2010 Lowell rated it really liked it
I used this book to prepare for the 2009 Baltimore Marathon. A clear, simple, detailed guide in how to effectively train for a marathon. He provides training schedules (exercises / running) for beginning, intermediate, and advanced runners. A year later, I still reference this book to improve my running.
Jenifer
Nov 29, 2008 Jenifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running
This is a wonderful guide for anyone planning to run a half or full marathon! Mr. Holland gives tips for training, injury prevention, what to expect, what to do on race day, etc. He addresses all areas of a big race, and does so with authority and experience. Highly recommended for runners!
Dana Stow
Jul 07, 2012 Dana Stow rated it it was amazing

Great book for anyone who is a beginning runner. Tom Holland isn't at all intimidating, and he gives you easy to follow exercises, stretches, and diet plans to help prepare you for your first race. Great resource for someone who is just getting into running.
Paul
Sep 20, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: running
Interesting book on running a marathon or half marathon. I am considering running both in the future. He has some very good tips and includes some training programs to help prepare runners for the long mileage and endurance required.
Rouzbeh
Oct 14, 2008 Rouzbeh rated it liked it
Recommends it for: First time marathon runners
I read this book and I ran my first marathon this year. It was useful. I found the running schedule for beginners very practical. I wish he had had more details in some parts of the books specifically when he was talking about diet.
Kathy
Jul 31, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The "I won't provide any evidence, but you should just trust me anyway" attitude is kind of off-putting, but it's an easy read and does give the sense of having just picked the brain of an experienced runner.
Susan
Feb 04, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
If you are planning to run a marathon for the first time, I highly recommend this book. It is not as inspirational, but extremely practical with great advice and tips!
Alison
Mar 25, 2013 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good reference for aspiring marathoners who don't have access to a personal trainer or marathon group. Exercise/stretch photos and training plans very useful.
Sonia
Oct 25, 2008 Sonia rated it it was amazing
This book is great for runners with 0-tons of experience.

OK so I do NOT have the time to do this but I am valiantly trying.
Denver
Dec 21, 2011 Denver rated it it was ok
Hard to believe this book is for triathletes. Seems far too remedial for that level of competition.
Lindsay
Apr 09, 2013 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-read
Great training guide, and very motivating.
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
mary klemm
mary klemm rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Bennor Mccarthy
Bennor Mccarthy rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Roger
Roger marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Ernest Sneed
Ernest Sneed rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
David
David rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Pamlalaland VB
Pamlalaland VB rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2016
Tima
Tima marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Daniel Ryan
Daniel Ryan rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2016
Jowana
Jowana marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Tom Holland is a renowned Exercise Physiologist and Certified Sports Nutritionist. An elite athlete himself, Holland has completed over 60 marathons and ultramarathons as well as 21 Ironman triathlons around the world. He holds a Master's Degree in Exercise Science and Sport Psychology and has been certified by the CISSN, ACSM, NSCA-CSCS, NASM, ACE, and AFAA. He is the author of The Marathon Metho ...more
More about Tom Holland...