Start by marking “The OK Book” as Want to Read:
The OK Book

The OK Book

In this clever and literal play on words, OK is turned on its side, upside down, and right side up to show that being OK can really be quite great. Whether OK personifies an OK skipper, an OK climber, an OK lightning bug catcher, or an OK whatever there is to experience, ok is an OK place to be. And being OK just may lead to the discovery of what makes one great.

With spare
Published April 24th 2007 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The OK Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The OK Book

Kathryn
Nov 08, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I give this one five stars for the idea and three stars for the execution. The concept is really fun as the character is shaped like "OK" and it tells how it is "ok" at many things, like swinging in a tree, doing handstands, etc. so we see the OK doing these things--hard to describe, but great concept! However, I found myself getting a little bored once the novelty wore off as there really wasn't much "special" about the illustrations or the text. The ending has a nice message, though.
The Styling Librarian
The OK Book by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld – Oh, this was such a cute idea for a book. I love when these two book creators work together. Here’s a lovely exploration of what is “ok”. Appreciate the simple reflection on how not being fantastic at something is just fine.
Apr 12, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
In these high-pressure times, I LOVE the message of this book: it's OK to just be okay at things, especially for a child who's learning and experimenting. The child-like illustrations (stick person) are a perfect fit, and there are just the right number of examples. Each picture shows the child trying something ("I'm an ok pancake flipper") and shows the evidence that s/he's missed the mark a bit (pancake on the head not on the plate). Kids will relate but I'd REALLY like to put this in the hand ...more
Jeanette
Oct 07, 2010 Jeanette rated it really liked it
My kids like Amy Krouse Rosenthal books so I figured this one would be a hit. Oh my goodness! I don't think my 3 year old has ever laughed so much while I read a book. And she's a happy, giggly little girl.
Rosenthal is really good at original ideas for picture books. Hers are definitely not your usual kids books just re-written and re-illustrated. This one is all about a little stick figure that is "ok" at lots of things. (The stick figure is shaped like the letters OK.) Cute and fun but I hone
Annette
Feb 05, 2009 Annette rated it it was amazing
This was super cute book. The "OK" guy (turn the letters OK on their side and they look like a stick man) is OK at a lot of stuff. One day he says he will be excellent at something and until that day he is having fun finding out what he will be excellent at. Loved the message. Cute idea -- OK guy. Left me smiling.
Kerri
May 22, 2010 Kerri rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy Amy Krouse Rosenthal. I love her fascination with word play and how she incorporates that into her books. Fun book especially when you pay close attention to the illustrations. My kids loved the "I'm an OK sharer" page. Silly yet profound picture book.
Ms Threlkeld
Dec 26, 2014 Ms Threlkeld rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ironically, this story is just ok, although the last page elevated it to 3 stars. Good for talking to kids about a fixed vs. growth mindset and for reassuring them that they don't have to be experts at everything they try or enjoy.
Danielle
Aug 12, 2012 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Brilliant concept and execution.
Plus, it's ok to be ok. There's time to become excellent at something.
Beyond the Pages
Dec 03, 2015 Beyond the Pages rated it really liked it
Great use of OILS. Very creative!
Sherry
Apr 18, 2015 Sherry rated it it was amazing
What? It's okay not to be perfect & the best at things? To just be ok? Absolutely! Clever book.
NayDoubleU
Nov 17, 2016 NayDoubleU rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-kids
enjoyed this book with my 7 year 2nd grade niece. it was easier for her to read thanks to the pictures.
Shari
Dec 21, 2016 Shari rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
Great little mentor text. Writers can reflect on what areas in which they are OK. Invite them to draw, too, just Amy's line drawings as a model.
Rommel Sison
6-year-old daughter:
5-year-old daughter: 4 stars
Briana
Mar 17, 2017 Briana rated it it was ok
A simple book that uses the shape of ok to illustrate a bunch of different things. Not super advanced, fairly simple.
Cleo White
Nov 17, 2015 Cleo White added it
Shelves: wow-books
In a society where people strive to great at just about everything, it was refreshing to read a book about being just ok! In this book, OK is the main character. He tells the tale of how he is ok at lots of things. The story is enhanced by the creatively simplistic pictures of OK doing various things (playing soccer, singing, etc.). In the story, you can tell that OK is ok with being average things. But, he ends the story with the hope of one day being great at somethings and enjoying the advent ...more
Kate
Jan 22, 2017 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preschool, preknotes
Loved this one, and loved it more because of how much my pre-K students — and first graders walking through our library time — loved it. The letters "OK" turn on their side to make a stick figure who's unafraid to try out different activities. In the same vein as I Can Be Anything! and others like it, this book lays out lots of options for the future and encourages kids to find their passion. What I love about this book in particular is how much it emphasizes that you might not be the best at so ...more
Linda
Apr 26, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I happened across this picture book the same afternoon I’d finished reading “The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother” for a book group. So my thoughts may be a bit biased because of this. “The OK Book” is the antithesis of “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.” In true American fashion, this book celebrates mediocrity. With simple (clever) line drawings, this picture book child shows (s)he’s ok at skipping, climbing, diving, hiding, sharing, pancake flipping, etc… and concludes “One day, I’ll grow up to ...more
Dawn
This book is very simply but the message it sends is a good one. My kids and students often feel they always have to be good at everything. In reality, we are ok at a lot of things and when we're young we need to realize that the fun is in trying all sorts of things. I can't juggle, I haven't figured out how to flip a pancake without feeding the dog, I'm at the mercy of the hill while sledding, and many more realizations that as an adult, I'm still only okay (or awful) at some of these things. B ...more
Ina
Dec 11, 2013 Ina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-reads
The main character in this book is a stick figure that is formed when you turn OK on it's side, which my story time audience thought was pretty cool. Our hero likes to try many different things…and it turns out he is OK at a lot of very diverse activities. I like the message that this book sends, that it is OK to be OK at things and try lots of things as long as one enjoys the journey. Most kids can identify with being OK at things. This book also reminds them that they will grow up "to be reall ...more
Drew Graham
Mar 24, 2016 Drew Graham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Sometimes when you're young (and even when you're older) you're just okay (or, OK) at some things, and that's just fine.

This Amy Krouse Rosenthal, I'm telling you, has had nothing but hits at our house. This book was clever, and even though it was a little beyond The Boy (2.75) just yet, he still really liked the visuals and I thought they were pretty clever myself. After a while it was hard to unsee OK, if you know what I mean. I think the message is appropriate and important for people of just
Laura G
Oct 01, 2015 Laura G rated it really liked it
Simple story about trying all kinds of different things on the way to figuring out what one is really good at. The character is simple stick figure shaped like an OK. The illustrations are intriguing for that reason--they illustrate the text but also form an OK in all different positions--but they get a bit repetitive. Would be good to incorporate this book when talking to kids about fixed/growth mindset, including how one gets from "OK" to "excellent". This was Amy Krouse Rosenthal & Tom Li ...more
Bethany
Oct 07, 2011 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
I read this book in my kindergarten practicum class. It is a good read, especially for young readers. It's illustrations are simple and direct. It teaches students how it is alright to be just "ok" at something. Everybody is not the fastest or the smartest, and that is okay. The point it makes at the end of the book, is that even though you may be "ok" at something now, you will find something and get better at it as you get older. I think that is an important lesson for all students to learn.
Roberta Snyder
Oct 24, 2012 Roberta Snyder rated it liked it
A good book about growing up and trying things out. I enjoyed this book because,it is so important to give young children a voice about their self-esteem. This book is well written and easy for young children to understand and enjoy. The text I found most powerful is the hope for the future, that you can be anything you want to be when you grow up. This is a very needed and powerful message that young children need to hear over and over. Just beautiful. The message that it's okay to try differen ...more
Sandi
Apr 16, 2012 Sandi rated it it was amazing
While the stick graphics and brief sentences appear to be geared toward children, I think the message that "it's OK to be OK" at things you try applies to ALL ages. As adults, we are sometimes afraid to try new things because we will make mistakes and not be perfect. As Rosenthal teaches, we should strive to have a good time trying new things we are interested in.

Little ones will definitely enjoy and understand the minimal but clear graphics. This will be a great book to read with my grandchild
Peacegal
May 03, 2011 Peacegal rated it it was ok
Surprise? The OK Book was, in fact, just OK.

Proffering the very 21st-century-child message that you don’t have to be a superstar at everything you do (you can be “just OK”), the book was nevertheless forgettable, and the cheapo illustrations (the word “Ok” drawn as a stick figure) felt like a cop-out.

(Veg*n parents note: The text includes a line about being an “Ok fisher.” However, a fish is not shown on the character’s line, but rather a boot.)
Heidi-Marie
Not the most fabulous book as far as hilarity. But I couldn't stop smiling that the stick figure spelled OK--and did so on every page. :-) I also like that there is a great message in this book--especially as I'm a person who is "ok" at most things. That made me very happy. I would like to see if children pick up on the message easily.

Not the best storytime choice, but a nice lap-read and read-alone.

So exicted to meet author AND illustrator in a few days!
Elizabeth S
Jun 17, 2013 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-picture, e-short
Awesome book, cute, clever, and fun. And teaches a great lesson as well. We spend so much time these days teaching kids that they are wonderful and great. Then they run into something where they aren't the best, and they wonder what went wrong. This book helps them see that being "OK" at something doesn't mean you aren't special, unique, and loved. Most of us will have something we are great at, but most things we are okay at. And that is the way it should be.
Traci Bold
Sep 16, 2016 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly simple picture book. There's nothing wrong with being just okay. Everyone has something they are good at and may not find out what that is until way later in life so enjoy everything for now for the sake of enjoying it and trying it out. By doing so, you may find your niché.

Author Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrator Tom Lichtenheld combine brilliance between words and artwork. A #mustread for every youngster. Published by Harper Collins.

#PB #selfimage #OK #sweet
Becca
Apr 08, 2011 Becca rated it really liked it
The OK book is a little "dude" OK that is a person like character. OK does a lot of things in many ways and is represented on each page in a different way. OK is successful and strives to do even more! OK is inspirational and funny. OK likes to be active and entertained. OK is great for young children to read, second grade and below. Preschoolers would love to have OK read to them, and spot OK on each page as a fun game!
Maureen Ann
Apr 26, 2016 Maureen Ann rated it really liked it
I bought this book for a doctor friend. We had been having a discussion about how it is fine to do new things, even if we do not think we are going to be the best at them. (In addition to being a prude, I also happen to be a bit of a perfectionist!) I enjoyed the book so much that I purchased copies for three other families and my own house. Sometimes it is just fine to accept OK, and not have to be the best.
  • Courage
  • Kali's Song
  • My Cold Plum Lemon Pie Bluesy Mood
  • My Name Is Not Isabella

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was.
She divided her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was a person who liked to make things.
Some things she liked to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something o
More about Amy Krouse Rosenthal...