Start by marking “The OK Book” as Want to Read:
The OK Book

The OK Book

In this clever and literal play on words, OK is turned on its side, upside down, and right side up to show that being OK can really be quite great. Whether OK personifies an OK skipper, an OK climber, an OK lightning bug catcher, or an OK whatever there is to experience, ok is an OK place to be. And being OK just may lead to the discovery of what makes one great.

With spare
Published April 24th 2007 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The OK Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The OK Book

Kathryn
Nov 08, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I give this one five stars for the idea and three stars for the execution. The concept is really fun as the character is shaped like "OK" and it tells how it is "ok" at many things, like swinging in a tree, doing handstands, etc. so we see the OK doing these things--hard to describe, but great concept! However, I found myself getting a little bored once the novelty wore off as there really wasn't much "special" about the illustrations or the text. The ending has a nice message, though.
The Styling Librarian
The OK Book by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld – Oh, this was such a cute idea for a book. I love when these two book creators work together. Here’s a lovely exploration of what is “ok”. Appreciate the simple reflection on how not being fantastic at something is just fine.
Apr 12, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
In these high-pressure times, I LOVE the message of this book: it's OK to just be okay at things, especially for a child who's learning and experimenting. The child-like illustrations (stick person) are a perfect fit, and there are just the right number of examples. Each picture shows the child trying something ("I'm an ok pancake flipper") and shows the evidence that s/he's missed the mark a bit (pancake on the head not on the plate). Kids will relate but I'd REALLY like to put this in the hand ...more
Jeanette
Mar 29, 2012 Jeanette rated it really liked it
My kids like Amy Krouse Rosenthal books so I figured this one would be a hit. Oh my goodness! I don't think my 3 year old has ever laughed so much while I read a book. And she's a happy, giggly little girl.
Rosenthal is really good at original ideas for picture books. Hers are definitely not your usual kids books just re-written and re-illustrated. This one is all about a little stick figure that is "ok" at lots of things. (The stick figure is shaped like the letters OK.) Cute and fun but I hone
Sherry
Apr 18, 2015 Sherry rated it it was amazing
What? It's okay not to be perfect & the best at things? To just be ok? Absolutely! Clever book.
Beyond the Pages
Dec 03, 2015 Beyond the Pages rated it really liked it
Great use of OILS. Very creative!
Cleo White
Nov 30, 2015 Cleo White added it
Shelves: wow-books
In a society where people strive to great at just about everything, it was refreshing to read a book about being just ok! In this book, OK is the main character. He tells the tale of how he is ok at lots of things. The story is enhanced by the creatively simplistic pictures of OK doing various things (playing soccer, singing, etc.). In the story, you can tell that OK is ok with being average things. But, he ends the story with the hope of one day being great at somethings and enjoying the advent ...more
Annette
Feb 05, 2009 Annette rated it it was amazing
This was super cute book. The "OK" guy (turn the letters OK on their side and they look like a stick man) is OK at a lot of stuff. One day he says he will be excellent at something and until that day he is having fun finding out what he will be excellent at. Loved the message. Cute idea -- OK guy. Left me smiling.
Kerri
May 22, 2010 Kerri rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy Amy Krouse Rosenthal. I love her fascination with word play and how she incorporates that into her books. Fun book especially when you pay close attention to the illustrations. My kids loved the "I'm an OK sharer" page. Silly yet profound picture book.
Ms Threlkeld
Dec 26, 2014 Ms Threlkeld rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ironically, this story is just ok, although the last page elevated it to 3 stars. Good for talking to kids about a fixed vs. growth mindset and for reassuring them that they don't have to be experts at everything they try or enjoy.
Danielle
Aug 12, 2012 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Brilliant concept and execution.
Plus, it's ok to be ok. There's time to become excellent at something.
Drew Graham
Apr 01, 2016 Drew Graham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Sometimes when you're young (and even when you're older) you're just okay (or, OK) at some things, and that's just fine.

This Amy Krouse Rosenthal, I'm telling you, has had nothing but hits at our house. This book was clever, and even though it was a little beyond The Boy (2.75) just yet, he still really liked the visuals and I thought they were pretty clever myself. After a while it was hard to unsee OK, if you know what I mean. I think the message is appropriate and important for people of just
Linda
Apr 26, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I happened across this picture book the same afternoon I’d finished reading “The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother” for a book group. So my thoughts may be a bit biased because of this. “The OK Book” is the antithesis of “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.” In true American fashion, this book celebrates mediocrity. With simple (clever) line drawings, this picture book child shows (s)he’s ok at skipping, climbing, diving, hiding, sharing, pancake flipping, etc… and concludes “One day, I’ll grow up to ...more
Traci Bold
Sep 22, 2016 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly simple picture book. There's nothing wrong with being just okay. Everyone has something they are good at and may not find out what that is until way later in life so enjoy everything for now for the sake of enjoying it and trying it out. By doing so, you may find your niché.

Author Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrator Tom Lichtenheld combine brilliance between words and artwork. A #mustread for every youngster. Published by Harper Collins.

#PB #selfimage #OK #sweet
Jalen
Oct 02, 2014 Jalen rated it it was amazing
I love the messgae conveyed in this book. It allows children to learn that you can try many different things in life whether it's sports,cooking, or even cleaning your room, you don't have to be a perfectionist at everything in life sometimes it is ok to just simply be OK. My favorite part of this book is how the word OK is portrayed as a little stick figure through out the story it is a neat yet simple book with a BIG message.
Maureen Ann
Apr 26, 2016 Maureen Ann rated it really liked it
I bought this book for a doctor friend. We had been having a discussion about how it is fine to do new things, even if we do not think we are going to be the best at them. (In addition to being a prude, I also happen to be a bit of a perfectionist!) I enjoyed the book so much that I purchased copies for three other families and my own house. Sometimes it is just fine to accept OK, and not have to be the best.
Phillip Lemons
Apr 25, 2016 Phillip Lemons rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-books
A clever book using the word ok to illustrate a stick person while explaining that there are a lot of things were are ok at and that is normal. Eventually we will discover what our special talent is. This is a great message for my boy who wants to be an expert on everything. It's good to be the best one can be, but it's important to find one's true strength.
Alice
Jun 17, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it
Is OK a word... or is it OKAY, or O.K. Read this article if you dare

I always thought it was the civil war zero killed or OK. It was an OK day!

This books is cute about trying everything and being OK at it and one day you will be great at 1 or 2 things!
Libby
Nov 07, 2014 Libby rated it really liked it
I like this because I can see that my 6-year-old son already puts a lot of pressure on himself to do things perfectly on his first try and this stresses that as a kid, you are learning about lots of things and it's ok to be just ok and not the best! My son loves that the boy is just "OK" turned sideways. very clever :)
Maggie Burgess
Jan 17, 2015 Maggie Burgess rated it really liked it
Definitely need to add this one to my classroom collection. It's ok to be ok at things while you're still learning and figuring out what your great thing is going to be. Kids truly feel a lot of pressure and anxiety these days- I can think of some students I'd love to share this book with.
Sara
Aug 30, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
Kids definitely need to be encouraged to take risks and not give if they are not perfect at everything. I chucked at the "I'm an ok sharer" page. I will not spoil it for you if you haven't read it. There is a sandwich involved.
Liz Todd
Aug 16, 2015 Liz Todd rated it it was amazing
I'll never start a school year without this book again. It's ok to make mistakes! It's ok to just be OK at something new! We can practice and get better. I love this. Kinders loved learning how to read and write "OK" guy.
Christine Haag
This will be so cute to read in my classroom some day! It shows that it is okay to just be okay. Someday, we will find what we're passionate and talented at, but don't be afraid to try something!
Phoenix
May 06, 2014 Phoenix rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Another fun and great book from Rosenthal! Simple text and simple illustrations. Phoenix loves repositioning the book to see the body. We've practiced writing OK different ways too.
Jason
Jul 08, 2016 Jason rated it it was ok
I love the concept, but it goes on waaaay too long to the point of being irritating. I wanted something else to happen. I enjoyed the illustrations and the ending though.
Miranda
Oct 23, 2015 Miranda rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I thought it was great wen they added the positive reenforcement when they said at the end that maybe he will be good some day instead of just ok.
Rebecca
Nov 09, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful, creative, effective story about being OK. Who knew there was a little person lurking there. It should help all of us, but especially children value being OK, not always needing to go for the great or the best.
Gary Anderson
May 05, 2015 Gary Anderson rated it really liked it
Truth: "One day, I'll grow up to be really excellent at something. I don't know what it is yet ... but I sure am having fun figuring it out."
Candida
Nov 11, 2015 Candida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay to be okay

A book about just being okay and being happy about it. Explore and be happy being you! Good reading fun
Emma
Nov 10, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it
He was funny because he was okay at something but he wasn't really okay he was bad. The end wasn't the end... It was just the beginning.
  • Courage

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal is.
She divides her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal is a person who likes to make things.
Some things she likes to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something out
More about Amy Krouse Rosenthal...