How to Kill a Dragon: Aspects of Indo-European Poetics

How to Kill a Dragon: Aspects of Indo-European Poetics

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In How to Kill a Dragon Calvert Watkins follows the continuum of poetic formulae in Indo-European languages, from Old Hittite to medieval Irish. He uses the comparative method to reconstruct traditional poetic formulae of considerable complexity that stretch as far back as the original common language. Thus, Watkins reveals the antiquity and tenacity of the Indo-European p...more
Published May 17th 2001 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about How to Kill a Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Kill a Dragon

K.V. Johansen
I found this a fascinating read. I don't have the background to follow all his arguments, and certainly lack the quantity of languages to do so, thus having to take his discussion of Hittite cognates, for instance, on trust, but all in all it was very thought-provoking. I'd like to go back and read some parts of it again, with a Greek dictionary on hand, when I have time.
Aleksandra
For a classicist, interested in literature and mythology, but not specializing in linguistics, it was a difficult and very demanding read. Watkins' work is dense and multi-layered, it required of me a long and careful reading process and a lot of attention, but it was definitely worth it.
Diana
This has the most arresting title I've ever seen on a linguistics book. It's well worth the read as the author explicates ancient poetic language, showing how it derives from Proto-Indo-European.
Maya
Please see my review at Celtic Scholar
Alfred
Nov 02, 2008 Alfred rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alfred by: schemathings@gmail.com
An overly academic, for my purposes, analysis of Indo-European storytelling, including the structure and content.
Ben
Apr 14, 2012 Ben marked it as to-read
Shelves: melrose-years
Very dense. Not for light reading. May need to come back to it...
Jim Bisso
A masterwork from one of the last of the Indo-European philologists.
Renée
This is a masterwork but sometimes for someone only vaguely familiar with metrics quite difficult to get through. I must admit I skipped some chapters (I hate that I wasn't taught Greek!) in order to advance more than 1 or 2 pages per 30 minutes ;-)
Professor Watkins is of course a genius in his field and it is a pity that there doe not exist a Nobel prize in this category.
Safak
Safak added it
Sep 11, 2014
Evan
Evan is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2014
Al
Al added it
Aug 21, 2014
Leo Dunsker
Leo Dunsker marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Itai Farhi
Itai Farhi marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Miss.n
Miss.n marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Zakir Hussein
Zakir Hussein marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Artur Matos
Artur Matos marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Schlurpi
Schlurpi is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2014
Dilek Murgul
Dilek Murgul marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Lively Raffaledes
Lively Raffaledes is currently reading it
Feb 27, 2014
Kevin Wilby
Kevin Wilby marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Julia Larson
Julia Larson marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots The Indo-European Origins of the Celtic Verb Studies in Memory of Warren Cowgill (1929-1985): Papers from the Fourth East Coast Indo-European Conference Cornell University, June 6-9, 1985 Studies In Memory Of Warren Cowgill, 1929 1985: Papers From The Fourth East Coast Indo European Conference, Cornell University, June 6 9, 1985 On Philology