Dreamseller

Dreamseller

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  485 ratings  ·  51 reviews

"Skate, drugs, and rock n roll!" -Kat Von D, LA Ink

Skateboarding used to be my life. When I was fourteen years old, I was discovered by Bucky Lasek and Tony Hawk and was on my way to turning pro. I toured the country, signed autographs, and had my photo in skate magazines. Then I got hooked on heroin and threw it all away.

Soon I was living in an abandoned garage and beggi

Published October 1st 2008 by Citadel

Kaitlin Panwise
Brilliant, if you're not keen on reading because it takes ages to get into a book then read this because by the 18th page he's getting a blowjob from a middle-aged man so he can get money for drugs.
Christaaahh

Right off the bat Novak talks about how he let his nasty dick get sucked by some pervy dude just to score $40 to get some shitty drugs and damn I was hooked. Quick and easy which I am sure is exactly how Novak would be in the sack if he was even interesting in actually having intercourse like a normal human being. This dude talks about his junkie days so hard that you can physically smell how putrid his balls and socks must be. This book can be read in a day and it was a score of my list o’ read...more
Oscar Finnemore
Book review- Dreamseller

Author - Brandon Novak

Genre- autobiography

The auto biography is all about a famous skateboarder and tv start that threw it all away for drugs. Mainly heroin.

When brandon novak was about 14 years of age, he got his first sponsor from Powell skateboards and was progressing fast in his career. He was even going on tours with the greatest skateboards like tony hawk. He was also in a number of tv shows and movies like jackass, viva la bam, haggard and even a radio show. One da...more
Matthew Hatley
I thought the book we was really good, enjoyed the authors style and couldnt put it down, i would recommend this book if you can relate with the situations described in this book, and if you are inspired in reading about how people overcome the obstacles in their lives. I think its very inspirational to read about people being capable of great things overcoming on what seems at the time a mountain in our life that is really only a small hill. And no matter what give up or put your head down and...more
Regan
Like the other few books I've reviewed over the past week, this book was 'okay' as well. Granted, I did like it more than the other memoirs, i.e. 'With or Without You' and 'A Million Little Pieces' and that was mainly down to the fact that it wasn't merely centered on the recovery process and things actually happened.

What I liked:

The overall story was great. I found it very interesting and the story was what kept me turning the pages, unlike the blandness of 'A Million Little Pieces'.

I liked ho...more
Amy
"Entertaining, shocking, crazy, unimaginable." This book was everything that Bam said it was and more. It was heartbreaking, brutally honest and very powerful. If you want to get inside the mind of a junkie and really understand the disease of addiction, then read this book. It's an easy read that doesn't disappoint and you won't regret picking it up.

The saddest thing about Novak's situation is that he had everything. Money, fame, talent, a promising skateboarding career... and he threw it all a...more
Amber Burdine
China Sloan
10/30/12
O&W 5th block
Mr. Bales
DREAMSELLER
The title of my book is Dreamseller. The author of Dreamseller is Brandon Novak. This book is a biography about Brandon Novak himself. It’s about his life as a kid, adult, skateboarder, friend, and addict. It goes from the highlights of his life to the very lowest he’s ever been. It’s a book that confronts you about what life can turn into and the struggles you can face. It’s an emotional rollercoaster of a book.

Brandon Novak is the main...more
Desiree Norwood
I read Dreamseller over 2 years ago, because I was very much into Bam Margera and his lifestyle. I watched all of his movies, t.v. shows, and I have even listened to every last radio show that he has ever recorded through out the years. I grew up a Jackass fan at a young age (being the tomboy-princess that I was)therefore I was very much involved in the characters from the show/movies.

I was listening to Bam's old radio shows and realized that they began mentioning Brandon Novak writing a book ab...more
Serena
I've read stories like this a million times, and for some reason they never get old. Each story is a separate life and deserves a brand new slate for their own personal experiences. I try my hardest not to compare and contrast but the style of writing was so elementary, I wasn't really in the moment with the addict. It was more of a type of book I would read to convince myself to never do heroin, which is not a new message and literature is all about new messages. It was interesting to discover...more
Frankiey
great stories stories, scams, and revelations from junkieland which are too often stifled by very un-junkie like expositional dialogue presumably inserted by co-(and by co I mean probably actual) author.
Tuesday
Being a big fan of the Jackass boys, anything to do with them as individuals and CKY, I was really excited when I found out this book was to be released depicting things that happened during Brandon Novak's life as a drug addict.
I was however slightly disappointed with this book due to how much he glamorized the idea of heroin and how he constantly considers himself to be a hero because he's came out of it okay. There were several points in this book where it is as though he has exaggerated a st...more
Lacie Walters
I like books like this.

I'll admit that I'm a Jackass fan and that I picked up the book because I wanted to know what happened to Novak and his relationship with the other Jackasses. I honestly couldn't put this book down. I'm not glorifying his choices and I know that the lifestyle depicted is not easy or desirable, but I have to say that it is interesting to know how the other half live (if you can call it that). It's endearing to read all the things he went thru and how he was able to pull thr...more
Tobie Thomas
I first read this book in high school when I was irrevocably in love with Bam Margera. I loved every second of it and have read it countless times since. I always had a soft spot for Novak and I'm thrilled Bam took him under his wing.

The reason this book doesn't get 5 stars is a personal disgust. Novak wrote this book, had a good thing going, was heroin free. . . then now him and Bam are both very obviously on drugs of some sort. Look them up, the "band" they're in. You can't watch them and not...more
Alice Smith
The whole way through this I had to keep reminding myself that it was all real, as for a non-drug-user it's sometimes so hard to believe that someone could get into that state, and go through all that. The style of the book makes it clear that the writer isn't familiar with writing, but it's generally good, and occasionally there are sentences and paragraphs that hold some sort of unexpected beauty.
A must read for any Novak fan, and for anyone who wants an insight into the unsettling mind of a d...more
Stephanie
Jan 28, 2009 Stephanie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone... you have to read this book.
Wow.

Novak, and everyone around him, has been through a lot, all because of heroin. Drugs can destroy things faster than anything else ever could.

I hope that Novak can get his stuff together and become a positive role model for all out there who think it is hopeless to escape the pit that drugs and alcohol can suck you in to.

I totally recommend this book to anyone and everyone that wants to read something that is non-fiction and wants something they can't put down.
Scott
This book was written one of the members of the Jackass/Bam Margera crowd. It chronicled his heroin addiction and recovery process. It was a surprisingly good book, which you can see by the star ratings that everyone has given it. He's honest about all of the family and friends that he let down while being an addict. Its a good book that I'd recommend to anyone. By the way, this was the 500th book that I've finished since I started keeping track as a freshman in high school.
Bailey
This book was phenomenal. Never once, did it glamorize or beautify drug addiction. Never once, did it downplay the seriousness of addiction. And never once, did it hold anything back.

A great read. An amazing look into the world of a homeless junkie who'd fallen from the top of the world, his celebrity status, and his dreams of being a skateboarder.

I couldn't bring myself to put this book down. And the epilogue was bone chilling. I recommend to all.
Evan Farah
A good addiction memoir of one of the most promising up and coming skaters degraded to total junkie.

The book mainly focuses on his final breaking point on the streets which causes him to reform for good with a new profound sense of commitment and realization not recognized before.

Chronicling almost a weekend or week of his life, each time it seems like his situation or desperation couldn't get any crazier it goes up another level.
Becky
This book was an easy read and was funny (sadly) in some ways - the stories of things he did, the lies he told were humorous but still so very sad at the same time. A little disappointed with the end and things I have read about the author online. Not sure if I liked it or not but drug addiction is definitely a never ending struggle.
Tiana
Read this in one sitting. Graphic as hell, but enthralling. I could actually hear Novak narrating the book, which was impressive. The epilogue was such a downer note to end the book on, though. Call me crazy, I wanted a happy-ish ending (although I knew it wasn't to be seeing as he's in jail currently...)

A crazy ride into the life, "death" and resurrection of the former skateboarder known as Brandon Novak. His tale really illuminates the reader into his nightmares and dreams. I truly hope that one day he can make it out alive and truly look back on this life.....I guess we'll have to wait and see. Really well written!
Glenda
While I had never heard of Brandon Novak I really enjoyed his story. I found his telling to be heartfelt and honest. He wasn't looking for sympathy, he just wanted to tell his story as it happened to show others how drugs can and will take absolutely everything away from you, no matter who you are.
Crafty PHAM
I don't read every often, if at all. I am a huge fan of Jackass, Viva La Bam, and etc. This book suprised me on how good it was. Novak's depict of his lifestyle and struggle was ace. It was as if I was living in his shoes for the 4 days I read the book. I definitely recommend this book!
Greg Cox
Truly amazing! This book should be on every bookshelf in every sober living facility. I'm super happy to have found and read this book and sincere thank yous and should go out to Brandon Novak and everyone else involved for bringing this story/journey to light.
Kristine
I was a bit skeptical to read a book written by a member of Jackass, but this one actually had substance and provided an uninhibited glimpse into the world of a drug addict. Very powerful and very well written.
Matthew Alexander
Fantastic, really lets you into the mind of someone who has fallen to the lowest of the low. Also this book shows how drugs and young people becoming famous can have disastrous consequence.
Kara Adkins
What a tragic story about a pro-skater throwing it all away for smack...I can not fanthom what this dude went through.
Awesome book. It was a very easy read. I read it in one night.
Chelsea
A very honest and frightening memoir about Brandon Novak. I didn't know about him previous to reading this book. But my heart goes out to him and I hope one day, he will get clean.
Stephan
Read this book in a day. Novak went through a lot of horrible things in his life. Shame that his talent/career burned to the need for drugs. I recommend this book to everyone.
Alex
This book is really good. It's definantly one of the better books iv'e read in a long time. If you like biograpghies and thoese types of books i highly recomendthis boook
  • Professional Idiot: A Memoir
  • Leaving Dirty Jersey: A Crystal Meth Memoir
  • Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption
  • Pill Head: The Secret Life of a Painkiller Addict
  • Dandy in the Underworld: An Unauthorized Autobiography
  • Portrait of an Addict as a Young Man: A Memoir
  • Rolling Away: My Agony with Ecstasy
  • Save Me from Myself: How I Found God, Quit Korn, Kicked Drugs, and Lived to Tell My Story
  • The Third Sunrise: A Memoir of Madness
  • Wide Awake: A Memoir of Insomnia
  • Gone to the Crazies: A Memoir
  • The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction
  • Swimming Underground: My Years in the Warhol Factory
  • Blue Genes: A Memoir of Loss and Survival
  • Angelhead: My Brother's Descent into Madness
  • Everything I Never Wanted to Be: A Memoir of Alcoholism and Addiction, Faith and Family, Hope and Humor
  • The Lost Years: Surviving a Mother and Daughter's Worst Nightmare
  • One More Theory about Happiness: A Memoir

“I was a dreamseller, a medium through which my loved ones could project what they wanted to believe, what they dared to dream—that I would be well. I sold them a dream, something that never existed in the first place, their own idealistic vision of me.” 0 likes