Start by marking “The Final Passage” as Want to Read:
The Final Passage

The Final Passage

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  7 reviews
As nineteen-year-old Leila surveys her island home from the ship that will carry her, her husband, and baby to England, she contemplates the Caribbean life of the 1950s that is chaotic, hand-to-mouth, and offers no way but out.
Published October 31st 1995 by Vintage (first published February 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Final Passage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Final Passage

Alex
I would like to make it clear that I thought this book was well written. I enjoyed the imagery as well as Phillips' narrative style. I also enjoyed Bradeth and Millie and was sad that I did not get to spend more time with them. I gave this book two stars only because it left me feeling depressed. While I sympathized with Leila's situation (distant mother, absent husband, foreign land) I could not help but wish she would have tried a little more to stand up for herself. Granted, this is set in th ...more
Rob
Phillips does a great job capturing the dashed hopes and powerlessness felt by the main characters as they leave their impoverished island home and journey to England in search of a better life. The grass is not always greener and poverty in a place you know may be easier to endure.
Marina
I really don't like Phillips' writing style in general, but he has an amazing way of describing scenery. I felt the heat of the island and the isolation of London. I did not like any of the characters, except for the minor ones, but still. This was for English.
Tyler
This was the first novel so far in my 20th Century Brit Lit course which I've really enjoyed. It's beautifully, yet sadly, written.
I have to write a paper on it now, otherwise I'd add more to the review!
Trish Lata Gooljarsingh
Sep 04, 2011 Trish Lata Gooljarsingh is currently reading it
This is the second book from Caryl Phillips that I am reading and I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying this writer. He reminds me a bit of Naipaul with his cutting sense of humor.

Lazarus P Badpenny Esq
I discover myself to be in a minority who find this book loathsome: unconvincing characters, undeveloped motives, half-hearted attempts at stream-of-consciousness, sloppy metaphors.
Christina
Very well-written, but just so bleak. I kept wanting to shake several of the characters, they are just so human, so completely flawed.
justyna
justyna marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Terry Everett
Terry Everett marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Jesi
Jesi marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Hala
Hala marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Lizzie
Lizzie added it
Mar 15, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
S Lettman
S Lettman marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Caryl Phillips was born in St.Kitts and came to Britain at the age of four months. He grew up in Leeds, and studied English Literature at Oxford University.

He began writing for the theatre and his plays include Strange Fruit (1980), Where There is Darkness (1982) and The Shelter (1983). He won the BBC Giles Cooper Award for Best Radio Play of the year with The Wasted Years (1984). He has written
More about Caryl Phillips...
Crossing the River A Distant Shore Cambridge The Nature of Blood In the Falling Snow