Start by marking “Dryden's Aeneid: The English Virgil” as Want to Read:
Dryden's Aeneid: The English Virgil

Dryden's Aeneid: The English Virgil

This book demonstrates how Dryden made Virgil's Aeneid available in an English idiom that would reflect and appeal to English tastes and values over a long period of time.
Published January 1st 1991 by University of Delaware Press

To ask other readers questions about Dryden's Aeneid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dryden's Aeneid

Benjamin
Jul 14, 2014 Benjamin rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
I read my first review of this poem and thought it sounded a bit pedantic. So I offer here a more candid reflection for my own entertainment as well as that of the reader. Enjoy.

I picked up this book and decided to read it because it was part of a set of Harvard Classics inherited from my father. It also sounds impressive to say, "Yes. Yes, I have read Virgil." Let's face it: the vast majority of us are not well-read, so when someone bandies about the name Virgil or Aeneid we nod our heads knowi
Steve Hemmeke
Jun 15, 2014 Steve Hemmeke rated it liked it
Virgil’s Aeneid viewed cynically is propaganda. He was legitimizing the government of Caesar Augustus, following the defeat of Marc Antony at Actium.

Virgil appeals to the gods whenever Aeneas or his men do something questionable, like kill a man on his homeland over an animal hunt, or attack and take over land that isn't theirs. Oh, the gods helped them? Then it must be okay. The irony is, this is a counterfeit of the time when this happened legitimately, when God gave Israel the promised land.
Samuel
Jun 01, 2015 Samuel added it
Shelves: cyberpunk
The heroic couplets are beautiful in and of themselves, but there was a gap in my mind between their beauty and the comparative harshness of modern spoken English. Of course, this says nothing about the integrity (which is stunning) of Dryden's translation; all I mean to say is that even though this is a landmark English poem, it will take some work to get all the way through. I believe I started it in March of 2014 and finished around the turn of 2015, dropping in and out of it from time to ...more
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2012
James Roy Blair Anderson
James Roy Blair Anderson rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2013
Aitch
Aitch rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2014
Vance
Vance rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2014
Anatole David
Anatole David rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Nicolas
Nicolas rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Ian Nazarehth
Ian Nazarehth rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Greg Ridge
Greg Ridge rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2014
Inna
Inna marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2010
Jason Reese
Jason Reese marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2013
Willliam
Willliam marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Catherine Hoffmann
Catherine Hoffmann marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Stephen Hart
Stephen Hart marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Edward Brown
Edward Brown is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2016
Kimberly Black
Kimberly Black is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2016
Richard Young
Richard Young marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016