The Elevator

The Elevator

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  604 ratings  ·  72 reviews
In the path of a devastating hurricane, three very different women find themselves trapped in an elevator of a high-rise office building. All three are concealing shattering secrets, unaware that they all center on the same man. The betrayed wife, eager for confrontation, with rage in her heart and a gun in her pocket . . . The determined mistress, finally ready to tell he...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Mira Books (first published July 1st 2007)

Elaine
No somnolence here...

Angela Hunt has some real talent in this and the Fairlawn series. She can grab the reader's interest without letting up. She brings the characters to life without sleep-inducing detail.

Because this story takes off from page 1 and doesn't slow down, schedule your time so you don't have to put it aside.

Three women from different backgrounds get stuck in an elevator of a high rise building during an approaching hurricane. One has a lover and wants a commitment from him. She w...more
Melissa
I think this book was trying to be some sort of emotional "thriller" but it was only half-baked to me. The real problem with this book is that she didn't make me care about any of the characters, I started liking one only to find out that they were uber-crazy and then I had no real care if they lived or died in The Elevator. Also it was marked 'Christian-fiction" in the library and it felt like she through that in at the very end. People decide to try to live better lives. A sentence or two at t...more
Virginia
Three women who have never met before are stuck in an elevator during a devastating hurricaine that is pounding Tampa, Florida. They all have secrets -- and it turns out they all center on the same man.

I enjoyed this. I immediately connected with the characters, and the author's portrayal of their pasts and their conflicts kept me fascinated. Few secrets, since the reader knows from the back cover how they're all connected, but the writing is so good that I kept reading to see how they discovere...more
Pam
I haven't read many christian novels lately, but my boss led me to read this one. I always have enjoyed Angela Hunt's books. Now, my boss likes books where all ends well and didn't like what happened to one of the main characters in the end. However, I was okay with it. We all make choices, wrong or right. That's just part of life. Wrong choice-bad ending. This was one of those stories that portrays that not every person makes the right choice. It is a novel with deep meaning and yet, it was a l...more
Katie Kenig
Fabulous, couldn't put it down book full of action. Three women are stuck in an elevator... Sounds boring, doesn't it? Consider that one might be a murderer, or maybe even more than one, that there is a hurricane raging outside and no one to rescue them, that one man has a chance to save them, maybe, if he can survive the storm and get to them in time, and that their lives are, quite literally, hanging in a very precarious balance. Kept me up all night!
Anne
Three women stuck in an elevator during a raging hurricane. All with secrets, one a possible killer, one the mistress of a man, the third a thief. Well put together story and recommended.
Dailycheapreads
This book is fun ride that goes straight to the top.

The Elevator is set in Tampa Bay, where a hurricane is approaching. The story take place almost entirely within the span of one day. Three women are all racing against the hurricane and become trapped in an elevator together in a downtown building.

Gina is determined to confront her cheating husband. Michelle prepares to deliver an ultimatum to her feet-dragging boyfriend. And Isabel, the housekeeper, is hiding from the authorities. It’s easy to...more
Missbooklover
Valerie
Wow. I admit I was surprised at this story. It was good though. Took me a little while to get into because of the way the POV jumps from one character to another. I think it was a realistic plot. I was able to empathize and relate with each of the characters (except Parker, of course lol). The first discussion question was 'Will you ever be able to ride in an elevator without thinking of this story?' For me, the answer is definitely no! As I was thinking about this story, I did agree at first wi...more
Shellys♥ Journal
I finally got to this one after it languished in my book bag for about 6 weeks. I read it in a day. It was a compelling story - 3 women trapped in a sky rise elevator as a hurricane bore down on this coastal city. It's interesting to watch them evolve and change in the hours as they wait for their rescue and for fate to unfold the story of why each of them are in the elevator.

The faith component is downplayed for the most part although lies underneath the plot.

I like it, but didn't LOVE it. Lit...more
Carrie
Every book I read by this author is totally different. I am enjoying every one. This book was centered around an elevator during a hurricane. Three women found themselves trapped due to the weather and the resulting power outage. I thought it was very insteresting. She of course gave you back ground on every character, so you understood why they made the choices they made. It was very interesting, but I may never go in an elevator again ( just kidding ).
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog...

Yet again Angela Hunt does not fail to captivate. She can take a seemingly fragile premise and turn it into a captivating book. At certain points I could not pull myself away from the book because I couldn't wait to find out what happened next and how things would be resolved. She even surprised me with a twist at the end. I won't say anything about it because that wouldn't be fair for those who have yet to read the book.
Kimberly
This book centers around 3 women who get trapped in an elevator. Gina is a wife who just found proof that her husband was cheating on her, so she came to his work to confront him. The second woman, Michelle, just so happens to be the guy's mistress. Then there's Isabel, a cleaning lady with a shady past and a guilty conscience. Need more drama? Their city is under evacuation due to an approaching hurricane, leaving them little hope for a rescue.
Eileen Rife
Three women stuck in an elevator, all with a vested interest in one man who happens to be on the top floor of an office complex in Tampa, FL. The unthinkable happens when a hurricane hits, trapping the women and taking them on the ride of their lives as slowly, but surely each divulges her story. Murder. Romance. Intrigue. All delivered with a gripping message that Hunt delivers with skill and precision.
Patt
Wow! What a ride. You can't lay this book down when you get about half way in. Three women are trapped in an elevator in a Tampa skyscraper while a hurricane approaches the area. They don't realize how intertwined their lives are until they are trapped together. One man comes to try to rescue them, and what happens next keeps you on the edge of your seat. Fast paced, exciting, and really worth reading.
Autumn
I liked this book, this was my first reading by this author. I will say for it to be a Christian book, I would have thought that God, Christ or even church was referenced much sooner & more. Gina's character was something else, she was very selfish and cared only about her family & their reputation. I will read another book by the author to see if she is true to Christian writer.
Ruth
Jul 05, 2008 Ruth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Ruth by: library
This book was spell bounding from the beginning! I could not put it down! Read it in 1 day. Thank goodness it was a 4 day weekend! Stayed up untill 1 AM to finish it! You never know who you may come in contact with and how directly they may be involved in your circumstances. A must read.

Definately reading more of Angela Hunt writings. Next one In Debt.
Lauren
Fast paced and full of conflict, The Elevator is the uniquely woven stories of three completely different women. I wish I could have given it 4 or 5 stars, but certain events (rather,the lack of an event) were pretty disappointing. The end just didn't deliver for me, or come across as completely realistic. But all in all, not bad for a one time read.
Tiffany
May 14, 2008 Tiffany rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone looking for a fun, fast read
Recommended to Tiffany by: I found it in the library
I didn't think you could write a whole book about three totally different women trapped in a downtown, high-rise, elevator during a Florida hurricane, but Angela Hunt did just that and very eloquently. It was a pretty wild ride. I finished it rather quickly as it kept me reading and awake at night, instead of putting me to sleep. I enjoyed it thoroughly!
Barbara
I loved this book. It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time I read it. It was exciting.
I sent the Author a email and told her this book would make a good movie. She wrote me back and said it had been accepted by the Lifeline channel and hopefully would be on in the near future. I sure hope it is.
Margaret
This book illustrates how our choices affect our lives in interesting ways. To stay on the elevator or get off. The apparently safe choice may not be the safe choice. Lots of tension and suspense from a Christian author who makes each book a different, interesting read.
Brenda
This author was new to me. Overall the story was worth reading, but in the middle the story dragged and became hard to read. It did not hold my attention in the middle. I did learn a little bit about hurricanes and human nature by reading this book.
D.H.
I will never be able to get in an elevator again without thinking about this book. A hurricane is coming to Tampa and 3 women who do not know each other but have one thing in common get trapped in an elevator during the storm. Great and thought provoking.
Michelle
Jan 01, 2008 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Hmmm...not sure, really...fiction fans?
I haven't read an Angela Hunt book since Uncharted (which I LOVED), and this one didn't disappoint. She has a really unique style, and her take on Christian fiction is great. I didn't like this one AS MUCH as Uncharted, but it was a good one nonetheless.
Becky
This was a very interesting take on a story. Felt connected with the characters. Felt like I was going through this horrible, scary journey with them. Ending felt a little slow but still somewhat satisfying. Overall it was a goodread!
I always enjoy Hunt as she picks unique story lines for each of her books. As usual, the book took a twist and each character (although overwhelming to keep everyone straight in the first chapter) had her own story to tell.
Mara
Aug 09, 2008 Mara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Mara by: Angela Hunt website
EVERY woman should read this book. Angela Hunt is fabulous at telling a story as if the people lived next door to you. This story shows God's mercy with out being "preachy" or giving a sappy ending. Loved it.
Janet Lloyd
One of the things I like about books of Hunts that I have read is they are not full of vulgar language that is not necessary to the story.I just wish every author would realize not everyone in the US uses the f-word.
Michele
This is a character study of 3 women that meet under unusual circumstances but their lives are already intertwined. It delves into the choices we make and how it affects our lives. Nice writing.
Ti-Leigh Telford
This is one of those books that if someone asked me how it was, I would say, "It was okay." But somehow I read it as fast as I could to see what would happen. I think that means it was pretty good.
  • The Trial
  • Boo Who
  • Healing Waters (Sullivan Crisp, #2)
  • Crimson Eve (Kanner Lake Series #3)
  • The Great Divide
  • Presumption of Guilt (Sun Coast Chronicles, #4)
  • Sisterchicks Go Brit! (Sisterchicks, #7)
  • Halos
  • The Believer (Shaker Series, #2)
  • Try Dying
Christy-Award winner Angela Hunt writes for readers who have learned to expect the unexpected in novels from this versatile author. With over three million copies of her books sold worldwide, she is the best-selling author of more than 100 works ranging from picture books (The Tale of Three Trees) to novels.

Now that her two children have reached their twenties, Angie and her husband live in Florid...more
More about Angela Elwell Hunt...
The Tale of Three Trees The Note Doesn't She Look Natural (The Fairlawn Series #1) The Debt The Novelist