Yoga Mind & Body

Yoga Mind & Body

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Develop your mental and physical potential, take control of the stress and tension of everyday living, and learn to nourish your mind and body with Yoga Mind & Body. Vetted by the expert staff of the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Center, this guide stresses the five points of exercise, breathing, meditation, diet, and relaxation for improved health and happiness. In addition...more
Published April 1st 2008 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published 1996)

WR
Very simple and insightful book for anyone interested in Yoga. I liked this book particularly because it lists the beneficial aspects beside every pose. This book continues to change my life each and every day. I highly recommend it!
Fred Mephisto
I don't believe you could do better than this book for a practical introduction to hatha yoga. I refer to it often for years.
Sandrine
It is a pity I haven't discovered this book in the beginning of my yoga practice, the main postures and breathing techniques are described in details, with the help of many pictures, the common faults and the possible variations. The philosophy of yoga is pretty well explained without getting too much into details, so it is ideal for somebody who wants to discover yoga and is also a useful reference book when getting more experienced.
Azar Hoseininejad

ام

اَئوم، اُم. والاترین و آرمانی ترین مانترا می باشد
ام شبدارهمن یا صوتی که جهان را می آفریند، نام باستانی برای تئوری «صدای انفجار بلند» دانشمندان امروزی می باشد. ام همه صداها، همه ارتعاشات و همه مانتراها است.
Heather
This book touches on many traditional aspects of yogic practice. If you want to know more about the cleansing rituals and fasting, this is a good book to accompany you on a path with an experienced teacher.
Amanda
This is a very thorough overview of yoga, including basic postures and their benefits, yogic philosophy, and diet. It is a great text to refer back to from time to time, as I often do.
Amy
This is a beautiful book in the Eyewitness series that lays out the basics of the teachings I gathered from my time at the Sivananda Ashram in Grass Valley, CA. I love this style of yoga.
Jamie
I have moved onto my next new pursuits- guitar and yoga. Reading this as an introduction, the whole philosophy is very intriguing.
Nona Williams
Very helpful for my hatha yoga practice.
Kris
Feb 12, 2009 Kris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a killer workout
Shelves: self
This might be my new yoga book.
I was looking for some new poses and some new variations and this book had me cracking up. First, because they have a male model who just looks ridiculous in his sweatpants (the female looks awesome in her blue leotard). Second, because the pose variations are ridiculously hard! I laughed sadistically thinking about all the pain I was going to put L'Anita (my yoga partner) and I through. We've been trying some of them and we can't even do many of the basic poses! S...more
Karina
I think this was a birthday gift. I've learned some of the new interesting poses, but this is a rather challenging book. There's a lot of stuff I just can't do.

Addendum: If I recall correctly, there's a section on food, and a bit about yogic philosophy, and stuff about breathing (this is the "Mind" part that's referred to in the title I suppose). All of which I paid very little attention to, because I'm merely interested in the exercises themselves: I have my beliefs and I like them just fine.
Caroline
This is kind of a weird yoga book. I love books with pictures, and this one has a lot, but the tone of it is very new age-y and a bit on the preachy side. There are some good illustrations of poses and a nice discussion of meditation in the back, but there are some parts of the book (like the section on diet) that I could do without.
Lisa Houlihan
The primary model looks like Audrey Hepburn, but only superficially in features and fringe. The lack of expression in her eyes -- opposite Audrey -- scared me, especially compounded by what the HELL is she doing to her abdomen?
Saleris
This is a good book to people interested in yoga. I like it overall. The recipes are a nice touch.
Debi Yazbeck
Meli Ospina
Meli Ospina marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Kowshicka Sivachelvam
Kowshicka Sivachelvam marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Nicole Ortega
Nicole Ortega marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Troll Bobic
Troll Bobic marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Chantal Rawlings
Chantal Rawlings is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2014
Barbara Bolzoni
Barbara Bolzoni marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Dylan
Dylan marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Rebekah Corbett
Rebekah Corbett marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Meera
Meera added it
Mar 06, 2014
Yoga: Your Home Practice Companion The Yoga Cookbook: Vegetarian Food for Body and Mind Sivananda Companion to Yoga The Sivananda Companion to Meditation : How to Master the Mind and Achieve Transcendence Sivananda Beginner's Guide to Yoga