Start by marking “Yoga Mind and Body” as Want to Read:
Yoga Mind and Body

Yoga Mind and Body

Develop your mental and physical potential, take control of the stress and tension of everyday living, and learn to nourish your mind and body with Yoga Mind & Body. Vetted by the expert staff of the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Center, this guide stresses the five points of exercise, breathing, meditation, diet, and relaxation for improved health and happiness. In addition ...more
Published April 21st 2008 by DK (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Yoga Mind and Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga Mind and Body

Mar 20, 2010 WR rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mind-body
Very simple and insightful book for anyone interested in Yoga. I liked this book particularly because it lists the beneficial aspects beside every pose. This book continues to change my life each and every day. I highly recommend it!
Aug 17, 2008 Sandrine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a pity I haven't discovered this book in the beginning of my yoga practice, the main postures and breathing techniques are described in details, with the help of many pictures, the common faults and the possible variations. The philosophy of yoga is pretty well explained without getting too much into details, so it is ideal for somebody who wants to discover yoga and is also a useful reference book when getting more experienced.
Azar Hoseininejad
May 01, 2012 Azar Hoseininejad rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga-meditation

اَئوم، اُم. والاترین و آرمانی ترین مانترا می باشد
ام شبدارهمن یا صوتی که جهان را می آفریند، نام باستانی برای تئوری «صدای انفجار بلند» دانشمندان امروزی می باشد. ام همه صداها، همه ارتعاشات و همه مانتراها است.
May 07, 2007 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book touches on many traditional aspects of yogic practice. If you want to know more about the cleansing rituals and fasting, this is a good book to accompany you on a path with an experienced teacher.
Apr 22, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, yoga
This is a very thorough overview of yoga, including basic postures and their benefits, yogic philosophy, and diet. It is a great text to refer back to from time to time, as I often do.
Aug 27, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book in the Eyewitness series that lays out the basics of the teachings I gathered from my time at the Sivananda Ashram in Grass Valley, CA. I love this style of yoga.
May 26, 2016 Lulla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always find DK books a great source of information for starters.

Secondly, I enjoy the pictures of this book as a real guide. If you practice yoga like I do, you can get tons of different versions and names of things, however, I take this as gospel from this book.

It's broken down and I like that. Just like in the classes you can build yourself up to it once you have mastered the first steps. I like that approach.

I found this to be one of the best yoga books, I've read so far! It easy to read,
Jan 17, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have moved onto my next new pursuits- guitar and yoga. Reading this as an introduction, the whole philosophy is very intriguing.
Fred Mephisto
Jan 03, 2008 Fred Mephisto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't believe you could do better than this book for a practical introduction to hatha yoga. I refer to it often for years.
Nona Williams
Oct 20, 2013 Nona Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful for my hatha yoga practice.
Feb 12, 2009 Kris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a killer workout
Shelves: self
This might be my new yoga book.
I was looking for some new poses and some new variations and this book had me cracking up. First, because they have a male model who just looks ridiculous in his sweatpants (the female looks awesome in her blue leotard). Second, because the pose variations are ridiculously hard! I laughed sadistically thinking about all the pain I was going to put L'Anita (my yoga partner) and I through. We've been trying some of them and we can't even do many of the basic poses! S
Jun 21, 2015 Shrilaxmi rated it liked it
Great book for beginners as well as more advanced practitioners of yoga. It helps you with each step and gives you the exact process to be followed.
Nov 20, 2010 Karina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, non-fiction
I think this was a birthday gift. I've learned some of the new interesting poses, but this is a rather challenging book. There's a lot of stuff I just can't do.

Addendum: If I recall correctly, there's a section on food, and a bit about yogic philosophy, and stuff about breathing (this is the "Mind" part that's referred to in the title I suppose). All of which I paid very little attention to, because I'm merely interested in the exercises themselves: I have my beliefs and I like them just fine.
Tamsin Ramone
Jul 24, 2015 Tamsin Ramone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a basic overview on yoga it's very practical and informative.
This is kind of a weird yoga book. I love books with pictures, and this one has a lot, but the tone of it is very new age-y and a bit on the preachy side. There are some good illustrations of poses and a nice discussion of meditation in the back, but there are some parts of the book (like the section on diet) that I could do without.
Lisa Houlihan
The primary model looks like Audrey Hepburn, but only superficially in features and fringe. The lack of expression in her eyes -- opposite Audrey -- scared me, especially compounded by what the HELL is she doing to her abdomen?
This is a good book to people interested in yoga. I like it overall. The recipes are a nice touch.
Debi Yazbeck
Feb 04, 2013 Debi Yazbeck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rachel marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
Kelly Jean
Kelly Jean rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2016
Sarah Kyle
Sarah Kyle rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Tayler marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2016
Matt marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
Ngonidzashe marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Sue Andreas
Sue Andreas rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Sophie added it
Sep 25, 2016
William Weir
William Weir rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Jan Fulnek
Jan Fulnek marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
  • The Invisible Force: 365 Ways to Apply the Power of Intention to Your Life
  • Sweat Your Prayers
  • Kripalu Yoga: A Guide to Practice On and Off the Mat
  • Juiceman's Power of Juicing
  • Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief
  • Mudras - Yoga in Your Hands
  • Complete Guide to Sewing
  • France
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • The Secret Language of Destiny