Start by marking “In Transit” as Want to Read:
In Transit

In Transit

Published September 5th 1989 by Penguin Canada (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about In Transit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Transit

J.
Feb 05, 2015 J. rated it really liked it

Seedy Madrid
Mavis Gallant's collection of short fiction makes its calm and careful approach to the world very slowly in the first few stories. Often enough it is a case of losing the way, of disorientation, of trying to map the situation at hand.
I was not by any means in first youth, and I could not say that the shape of my life was a mystery. But I felt I had done all I could with free will, and that circumstances, the imponderables, should now take a hand. I was giving them every opportunity.
Donna
Apr 09, 2016 Donna rated it it was amazing
Have finally read some Mavis Gallant. This is one of my duties as a Protestant Quebecker and it certainly wasn't an onerous one. I will be back for more.
Some reviews express frustration about finding a way in to some of the stories. I understand that. I think part of my delight is that I always have a way in because I know the code. But maybe she shouldn't have written in code.
I enjoyed the moments of few words. She leaves out enough for monkeys to assemble War and Peace on typewriters. She wh
Emanuella
Jan 17, 2008 Emanuella rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I heard about Mavis Gallant from The New Yorker, Selected Shorts another literati magazine. I'd never heard of her before but I thought, "Well, she must be the writer's writer." The French Canadian left her husband and her career as a journalist to move to France to pursue fiction writing. She lives in France still.

She has always pursued autonomy and privacy. She hasn't remarried and she has arranged her life so she could be a writer. I admire that. "Only independence matters."

I'm not a big fan
Julie
Apr 06, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
I read this 20 years ago and when Gallant passed, I wanted to revisit her writing. My opinion of her, over the course of reading this collection of short stories, went from 1-2 stars initially to 4+ stars by the end of the book. I was ready to put it down and give up after the first 3-4 stories because I found her style coldly descriptive, analytical, and lacking in heart. But I was trapped on a plane with nothing else to read, so I kept going. I began to find her characters more intriguing as p ...more
Feb 16, 2015 Sarah marked it as rejected
Every issue of the New Yorker includes a piece of short fiction that is invariably elegant and compelling. The story, whatever it might be, pulls you along and pulls you along until the very end, where it dumps you off and peaces the hell out, leaving you angry and shouting, "Is that it?!"

Mavis Gallant was much beloved of the New Yorker.
Dani (The Pluviophile Reader)
For the full review, visit The Pluviophile Reader: http://wp.me/p3VFNP-6k

3/5 stars.
Read from July 22 to August 13, 2014.
Paperback, 199 pages.

Mavis Gallant was highly recommended to me from a good friend of mine and I finally took the time to follow-up in this recommendation. Mavis is a talented writer but I don't think her writing it for everybody.

While born in Canada, Mavis actually spent most of her life in France, which is extremely apparent in this collection of stories. Her writing felt ver
David W.
Feb 19, 2015 David W. rated it it was ok
I know I should like this book but found it very frustrating
Short stories - found that they did not have good endings
and sometimes wondered what the hell the story was actually about
stopped reading it.
Paige
Mavis Gallant writes graceful, psychologically astute short stories (many of them here deal with English/U.S./Canadian expatriates living in Europe). She ranks right up there with my other favorite Canadian fiction writers - Margaret Atwood, Carol Shields, Alice Munro and Robertson Davies.
Cindy
Aug 20, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it
At first I couldn't get into the stories. So slow, what's this about? So I set it aside for a few months and found I was missing her writing. Good reading :)
Jan 12, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
My last attempt at a short story book.
Coralie Salvail
Coralie Salvail marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Puja
Puja marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Danica
Danica rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Smarkman
Smarkman marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Ninny HasAnInny
Ninny HasAnInny rated it liked it
May 29, 2016
Emma Bayley
Emma Bayley marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Elaina
Elaina marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Phoebe Mogharei
Phoebe Mogharei marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Ismael
Ismael added it
Apr 29, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Deb
Deb added it
Mar 06, 2016
Igihozo Nadia
Igihozo Nadia marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Sami Mardini
Sami Mardini marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Trent
Trent added it
Dec 30, 2015
Kelly P.
Kelly P. rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Canadian journalist and fiction writer. In her twenties, Gallant worked as a reporter for the Montreal Standard. She left journalism in 1950 to pursue fiction writing. To that end, always needing autonomy and privacy, she moved to France.

In 1981, Gallant was honoured by her native country and made an Officer of the Order of Canada for her contribution to literature. That same year she also receive
More about Mavis Gallant...

“Converts have it soft," said Mary. "They come to it late, without ever having had the Devil under the bed. They sail in and admire the stained-glass windows. All the dirty work has been done.” 5 likes