3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  48 reviews
TURTLE IS SO excited by the book about penguins that his dad reads him at bedtime that he decides he wants to be a penguin. So the next morning, he creates a penguin costume, grabs his book, and heads for the schoolbus. His kindergarten classmates are thrilled. They all want to be penguins too! Turtle shows his book to his teacher, and all day long he and his classmates do...more
Published August 12th 2008 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Turtle's Penguin Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turtle's Penguin Day

Candice
Apr 01, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she's older
Shelves: picture-books
A very cute story about a child's (or in this case a turtle's) imagination. Father Turtle reads a book about penguins to Little Turtle. When Little Turtle falls asleep he dreams he is a penguin. The next morning he wants to dress as a penguin and act like a penguin. Fortunately, he has a supportive teacher (Ms. Dog - aren't dogs great?) and friends. Soon all the other animals in the class are having a ball acting like penguins. Even at bedtime, Little Turtle is still pretending he is a penguin....more
Alice
3.75 I wasn't sure I was going to like this book. I am all for imagination and dress up but when people (like Skippy Jon Jones) what to be something they aren't and never can be...that bothers me...but this book isn't like that.

It all starts out when dad (Father Turtle) reads a book about penguins. To little turtle and he runs with it!

I like that the whole class joins in on the penguin day...and what I like even more is at the end....we move on to Monkey Day! Why can't I give is a 5, I like...more
Amy Musser
After Little Turtle’s father reads him a bedtime story about penguins, Little Turtle falls asleep and dreams that he’s a penguin. The next morning he decides to be a penguin for the day, so he waddles into a pair of red slippers and drapes an old black coat over his head and arms. At school his classmates are intrigued, so Little Turtle points out all the reasons he loves penguins. “We want to be penguins too!” And so Little Turtle and his friends have a penguin day at school, full of waddling,...more
jacky
Jun 29, 2010 jacky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool, primary school
Recommended to jacky by: LPL Children's staff
A turtle and penguins? Being that these are two of my favorite animals, I had to check this out when I saw it on the recommended picture books list for the library summer reading program. The story was too old for Natalie at this time, but I still read it aloud to her. I liked how there wasn't too much text (It sometimes bothers me when a picture books has tons of text). I also liked how the story had a nice predictable structure. It followed the course of 24 hours, there were groups of three th...more
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Story and IIlustrations By Valeri Gorbachev
Grade Levels: App. 1-3
DRA/Lexile Measure/GLE: n/a
Reviewed By Aaron Carter

Turtle's Penguin Day is about a turtle who wants to become a penguin after his feather read him a book about the creatures, and then subsequently dreamed about them. The next morning Little Turtle dresses and moves to mimic a penguin, which continues into the school day. His fellow students likewise want to become penguins, so the teacher makes it "penguin day."...more
Melissa
If you're a puffin and you know it, flap your wings (flap, flap)
If you're a puffin and you know it, flap your wings
If you're a puffin and you know it and you really want to show it
If you're a puffin and you know it, flap your wings

Other verses:
...waddle your feet (waddle, waddle)
...bite a fish (bite, bite)

A penguin, when he goes somewhere waddle from side to side
Will walk or swim; here's why: waddle first, then swim
Although he has two bird-like wings, hold up two fingers
He simply cannot fly!...more
Kaethe
We love penguins, so this was a big hit with us all. Also probably good to introduce kids to the idea of a school day.
Alicia Scully
With a title like this, how could I not love this book? Little Turtle's father reads him a book about penguins so the next day for school he decides to be a penguin. The other students look his costume and his teacher is very interested in the book on penguins that Little Turtle brought to school. The whole class decides to have a penguin day which is just a lot of fun. The book has a small section at the end with facts on penguins for children who want to learn more. Gorbachev captures the desi...more
Arminzerella
Elizabeth Bergin
Little Turtle becomes very interested in penguins after his father reads him a book about them. At school, Little Turtle dresses up as a penguin and gets his whole class involved. Its illustrations and characters appeal to younger children, especially those interested in animals. The book includes a list of facts about penguins, which opens the door for teaching about penguins and other Antarctic creatures. Children will enjoy the illustrations and easy-to-follow story, and may even want to wadd...more
Brenda
Read this to Pre-K and Kindergarten today and it was a success! It's about a little turtle that likes to pretend he that he's a penguin. At the end of the book, there are some interesting facts about penguins. After we read the book, we waddled and did a penguin dance. We had a great time!
Ami
ACK!!! So cute. I'm dying of cuteness. I can't wait to show this to my class.
Jason Slayton
I would recommend this to people looking for books about turtles pretending to be penguins.
Kris
All preschoolers should be so lucky as to have parents and a teacher like Little Turtle does. One night, Father Turtle read a book about penguins to Little Turtle. So the next day, Little Turtle dresses like a penguin, and at school, they read more about penguins, and play penguin games and do a penguin dance, and all the little ones dream penguin dreams during nap time. And the next night, Father Turtle reads Little Turtle a book about monkeys....
Susan
I love picture books that really get kids and how they think and act...and this charmer is one of those. Especially nice is the grownups portrayed as loving and supportive parents and teachers who just go along with the whole penguin day thing (ah, if only the world was so kind...note to cranky old dude in store speaking out of turn to my son, take notes). Anyhoo, the librarian in me appreciated the bonus penguin facts in the back.
Jackie
While reading a bedtime story to little Turtle, Father turtle unknowingly creates a desire in little Turtle to become a penguin. At school the next day, Ms. Dog goes along with little turtle's imaginative play and the class has penguin storytime and learns all sorts of interesting facts about these birds. Wonder what will happen when Father Turtle reads a monkey story the next night?

Used for "Penguin Party" storytime-July, 2010.
Amy Stipp
Cute story of a young turtle who has just learned about penguins. He goes to school dressed like a penguin and his classmates love that! They too act like penguins. In music they march like penguins and they played like penguins play at recess.
In the back of the book there is a section of penguin facts that would be nice to include for a read aloud.
I would recommend this for students pre K-2!
Samantha Penrose
This book is adorable!
The illustrations are charming, and appealing for both adults and children.
The author did a wonderful job of showing the sweet, innocent, imaginative nature of pre-school aged children.
As Turtle and his classmates pretend to be penguins, your child will pick up factual information about penguin behaviors, and perhaps be inspired to join in the fun!
Emmeline Guest
I adored this story ... really, is there anything sweeter than a turtle who dresses up like a penguin in his grandfather's over-sized black jacket all because is father read him a book about penguins the night before?

I think not.

A wonderful story, accompanied by cute illustrations, about reading and imagination.
Heidi
Due to my obsession with turtles and my friend Seth's even greater obsession with penguins, I could not pass this up when the title stood out to me from the shelves. And it was very cute! Pictures, story, idea, all of it--downright cute. But then, that's the thing I've got with turtles (pictures and toys of them anyhow).
Susan
0-7. Cute story about a turtle whose parents read him a book about penguins, and in turn turtle wants to be a penguin. He dresses up at school and shares penguin stories to his classmates...then everyone wants to dress up as penguins. In the end, dad reads him a story about another animal that turtle now wants to mimic.
Denise
Little turtle is no different than most children who love pretending he/she is someone or something else. Parents will recognize this game and the illustrations are sure to put a smile on your face. There are also penguin facts to share with your little ones in the back of the book.
Edna
It must be true to understand another's way of life is to walk in their shoes and that's what Little Turtle decides to do. He creates a costume, takes the bus and heads for school only to enrapture his classroom and teacher into learning more about penguins! Delightful!
Hayli Wrigley
This is a very fun book. There are a lot of activities that could be done with it. It has factual information about penguins in the back. It would be fun to have the class act as penguins do like the class in the book. (Maybe not going down the slide on their stomachs though!)
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
Very cute! I like the cover design with the penguin motif of black and white. The illustrations are very appealing and the little story of a school day with everyone acting like penguins might even spark some cool classroom activities for some teachers.
Beth Chandler
Adorable story of a turtle who becomes fascinated with penguins after his dad reads him a story about them.

Cute for storytelling!

Penguins are our "city animal" so this is great for our own Penguin events!
Angie
So adorable. The little turtle gets inspired by a book his dad reads him and his entire class gets in on the fun.

LOVE the illustrations. The oversized tuxedo jacket on the little turtle is the best.
Tricia
story about a turtle who readsa penguin book and then takes his penguin persona to school with him the next day,which all enjoy. the next night he reads a book about monkeys...
Tricia
I enjoyed this book as much as my kids. A must read for any preschool penguin fan. Adorable illustrations and a great story about pretending and the joy of learning.
Mandy Hoffman
Little Turtle enjoys a story that his father reads and then spends the next day pretending to be a penguin. A delightfully fun and wholesome story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Monkey And Me
  • Spring Is Here
  • On the Farm
  • Bob and Otto
  • Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?
  • A Funny Little Bird
  • Timothy and the Strong Pajamas
  • Here Comes Jack Frost
  • Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog
Emigrated to the US from Ukraine in 1991, along with his wife and two children. Currently lives in Brooklyn
More about Valeri Gorbachev...
How to Be Friends with a Dragon Christopher Counting Shhh! Red Red Red Dragon Is Coming!