The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)

The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  2,853 ratings  ·  64 reviews
When Judge Armando Acosta is indicted on charges of soliciting a prostitute, attorney Paul Madriani is forced to take up the case. But when new developments lead to the death of Acosta's arresting officer, Madriani wonders if the judge is involved. Has he unwittingly pick up a client who may send him to an early grave? The Judge is all-out thrilling entertainment.
Published May 1st 2001 by Jove (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Judge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Judge

Cathy DuPont
Duh to me. I read this last year and forgot to enter it, I guess. That put me one book closer to reaching my goal. All I need to do is find a couple of more I forgot to enter and I get the big award for meeting my goal. Big Award. I want my big award.
Crystal Davis-coan
From my previous list- audiobook
Dale
Strong plot + annoying writing habits = 4 stars

The Judge is my second Martini book (the first as an audiobook) and I am almost embarrassed to say that I really liked it. I didn't realize that I was such a literary elitist (especially if you looked at the stuff I've reviewed) but deep-down inside I guess that there are just some books that I want to hate simply because everyone else likes them.

Well, there's a reason why Martini's books have been perennial best-sellers - they're entertaining leg...more
Chad
This was my first Steve Martini book, I have to admit, it was a little difficult to get past the stupid name of the author. It feels too much like a gimmick. Of course, now I'm hoping that Martini is a pen name and not the author's real name.

Anyway, the book is good, but not great. I was reading a Michael Connelly Lincoln Lawyer book at the same time and it was easy to see who the better author (Connelly, in case you've never read his stuff). But this book was good and although I had determined...more
Stephen
Armando Acosta is a judge disliked by nearly everyone-- especially the corrupt police officers who are the subject of a grand jury investigation conducted by Acosta. Acosta is arrested on a phony charge of solicitation and is suspended from the bench. However, when the decoy in the arrest turns up dead, it looks as though Acosta will be vacating the bench permanently.

Acosta enlists the help of one of his least favorite attorneys, Paul Madriani, to help him beat the murder charge. In defending t...more
Judith
A good book, but not a great one. The ending was simplistic, and over in a second. There has been so much buildup to the ending, and I was severely disappointed. The plot was good, and the book was interesting, but it just died at the end.
Chris
Apr 19, 2014 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: guilt/GR
Shelves: steve-martini, ill
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

Plot synopsis:

Shenanigans in the police union have attracted the attention of an abrasive judge. He is leading a grand jury investigation into the union's finances when he is arrested for prostitution and later murder.

Paul Madriani is dragged into the case as the judge's defense attorney as a favor to a friend a...more
Neville
A story about Judge Armando Acosta and his implication in the murder of Brittany Hall. Paul Madriani is asked to defend Acosta, which he finds difficult due to the fact that they do not like each other. He starts to believe that the Judge is not guilty of the crime and that corrupt police and the union may be involved.

The author keeps you interested in the story from cover to cover and I look forward to reading another of his books.
Ann
almost a five, great trial book, definitely a page turner.
John
Sep 13, 2007 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: legal thriller fans
Steve Martini is one of the best legal thriller writers. His protagonist, Paul Madriani, is in my opinion his most interesting (and certainly his most successful) character. And The Judge is (also in my opinion) the most successful novel in the series.

There is a scene in The Judge (that I will describe only as the 'Cable TV Man Scene') that is so brilliantly written, so tense and beautifully unfolding, that should you not have read Martini and should you read this one scene, you will be a fan f...more
Kellie
(#4 in the Paul Madriani series) Another great courtroom drama. Another surprising and slightly disappointing ending. The judge Madriani has become to hate (Acosta) has been charged with solicitation…and then murder. Paul ends up defending the judge against the same DA who fired his lover, Lenore. There are courtroom scenes that tend to drag a little but I love how the author pulls out the element of surprise when Madiani is presenting evidence. Will be interesting to see what happens next.
Ray
Not as clean as a Tourot or Grisham, but still entertaining. To me, Grisham develops a story line beautifully, and you don't have to suspend reality, with the story line being carefully constructed and developed, all very believable. In the Judge, there were a few, albeit very few, times where I felt myself feeling, "well that's not very likely". But those times weren't enough to interfere with the story, and it was still an enjoyable legal thriller.

Gabriel Kingsom
Aburrido, predeciblemente intrascendente.
Bill
Who is corrupt, a judge accused of soliciting a prostitute and murdering her or the police department? Attorney Paul Madriani is hired to represent the judge. We do not discover who done it until the last few pages. In the meantime Steve Martini keeps us in doubt with his unique action, page turning style.

Who did it stretches credibility but it is in the realm of possibility. The Judge is a good and compelling read.
Debbie
I think this might have been my first Steve Martini book. In fact,this was actually the first book I read in years that started my passion for reading. I can't remember the last book I read before this (not including college). My husband picked it out for me at the library while he was there with our children. I couldn't put it down. Steve's writing is very easy to read and follow. They are all very suspenseful.
Lisa
I'm a big mystery fan and will try any author once. Martini is one I've seen on the shelves but not tried until I got a hold of it in audio form read by Stanley Tucci. I love Tucci so I gave it a try and it was good. A quick listen, but moved along well, nothing like a Scott Turow though, not nearly as gripping. Just filled the time, although Tucci did his magic which made it probably better than if I'd read it.
Dan
Well after finishing this book I only have one book left in the Madriani series. This one was ok, not my favorite in the series, but not bad at all. I had absolutely zero clue on who the real killer was. And in my defense, even after it was revealed it wasn’t one of those, “oh yeah, of course!” things. I really don’t think there was much there to lead you to believe the killer was who it was.
Maurean
Another Paul Madriani courtroom caper; this one centering around a judge who is involved in a grand jury case against some of the city's police force when he is charged with soliciting prostitution in a vice sting. When the undercover police woman is found dead, the judge looks to be the most likely suspect.

For these kinds of legal dramas, I think Martini does it best.
Peter
Another good novel from this author. Good story, pacing, situations, etc. Outcome was pretty well hidden (until the end of story). Book description didn't provide any hints (although it was accurate).

Aurora library.
Steve
Paul Madriani represents a judge accused of killing a witness who framed him in a prostitution sting. There were many twists and turns in this primarily courtroom based drama. This was my first Steve Martini book. After finishing it, I will certainly be looking for more in the future.
Rebecca
My 2nd Steve Martini novel. Liked it, but was a little off-put that the killer turned out to be someone whose only connection at all seemed thrown in. There's also some consistency issues with Paul Madriani and his daughter (as compared to the 1st novel I read "Double Tap")
Diane
Aug 26, 2009 Diane rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lynn and Linda
This is the second book I have read from this author, it took me a little longer to get into it than I did with 'The Jury" which I read first but I enjoyed it. The author had been a lawyer, so it is interesting to read about how evidence can be manipulated by clever lawyers.
Upstatemamma
I enjoyed this book way more than I thought I would. The story developed the entire book. Never was there a moment where it become somewhat monotonous. Everything you saw coming was somehow still exciting or at least interesting. The ending was a surprise.
Denise Whelan
This book was so good! Defending the judge you so dislike is just so fun to read about!!! Steve Martini wrote an incredibly fantastic book that I could not put down! Paul Madriani shines in this book, as he usually does!
Brent
Another good story with an unexpected twist. Sometimes I wish there wasn't such a twist at the end so I could feel like I helped solve the case. I guess that's why I am not a lawyer. I'm enjoying this series.
This is a good book to teach people about the way that the courtroom and lawyers think and work. I found it very informative and interesting. I would've never figured out the ending. It's so not who you think it is!!!
Glenda
Still rating it a 4 but I have to say he did better with this book with 'who done it' not being reveled until the end. There were still a couple of scenes that were a bit overly obvious. I'll read another.
Pa
Jun 29, 2010 Pa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in courtroom drama/mystery
Though perhaps closer to a 4.5, I gave this book a 5. A strong mystery/courtroom drama tale with some interesting plot twists and a strong cast of characters. Considerably above average for this genre.
Shirley
Probably just me but as much as I usually like Martini's books, I couldn't get involved with this until the very end. A true surprise ending! If not for the twist at the end, I would have rated this a 3
John
Very suspenseful. I kind of hate the way Martini writes all his books in the first person, present tense, but I'm getting used to it. He really packs a lot of info into every word he writes.
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • Reversible Errors (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #6)
  • The Final Judgment
  • The Associate
  • True Justice (Butch Karp, #12)
  • The Juror
  • Perfect Justice (Ben Kencaid, #4)
Steve Martini, a former lawyer, writes legal thrillers and mysteries. His "Paul Madriani" books are bestsellers.
More about Steve Martini...
The List Prime Witness (Paul Madriani, #2) The Rule Of Nine (Paul Madriani, #11) Compelling Evidence (Paul Madriani, #1) The Jury (Paul Madriani, #6)