The Attorney (Paul Madriani, #5)

The Attorney (Paul Madriani #5)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,885 ratings  ·  93 reviews
"Riveting . . . a suspenseful tale, right up to the satisfying climax," wrote Publishers Weekly in praise of The Judge. "Legal thrillers don't get much better than this." Kirkus Reviews hailed Undue Influence as "the courtroom novel of the year." Now Martini delivers Paul Madriani's most challenging case yet: one pitting a drug-addicted mother against her daughter's newly...more
Published January 1st 2001 by Jove (first published January 2000)

Poirot by Agatha ChristieThe Simeon Chamber by Steve MartiniThe Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienPoirot by Agatha ChristieGaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers
UTILITY LIST for quickly adding BOOK SERIES
21st out of 197 books — 13 voters
Déjà Dead by Kathy ReichsThe Bone Collector by Jeffery DeaverPostmortem by Patricia CornwellBare Bones by Kathy ReichsThe Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen
Forensic Fiction
64th out of 83 books — 81 voters

More lists with this book...

Tea Jovanović
Nije Grišam ali piše dobre "legal" trilere... :) Vredan je pažnje ljubitelja tog žanra...
Jerry
Slow to get going, long wait til surprise ending; fair drama...

This is our third Martini -- er, the author's books that is. We enjoyed "Simeon Chamber" (his first outing), but felt the "List" was too dry and set too sluggish a pace for our taste. We tried the "Attorney" to see if the defense attorney Paul Madriani series, which now has some half dozen entries, might be more entertaining. Alas, a rather mundane plot gets us off to a lackluster start -- Jonah Hale's granddaughter Amanda, of whom...more
Sandie
In this, the fifth book of Martini's Paul Madriani series, Paul has moved to San Diego to be near his new love, Susan McKay. Susan is the head of the county's Child Protective Services agency, and they met at a conference about children's rights. Now they are pitted together in a case that will strain their relationship.

One of Paul's old clients, Jonah Hale, comes to him for help. Since the first time Paul helped him, Jonah has won a lottery and is now newly rich. He and his wife continue to liv...more
Maurean
Martini pens a very suspensful legal thriller! This book had me riveted to the pages.

The case: A CA state lottery winner has gained custody of his granddaughter when the childs mother, his daughter, is imprisoned on drug-smuggling charges. Upon her release, she elicits the aid of a vigilante group called Vanishing Victims in order to steal the child back. Because it is a 'kidnapping' by a parent, the state offers no aid in getting the child returned. When the head of the organization is found de...more
Dan
Another Martini book, another great read. Had a hard time putting this one down. Started it one day, finished it the next, including staying up until 2:00 or so reading (I had made the mistake of napping earlier in the evening and wasn’t too sleepy; I sure was today at work though). I knew who the killer was right from the get-go, but it doesn’t really matter because it’s still fun to see how it all plays out and how the killer manipulates things. Hopefully the library will have some more Martin...more
Momm
I enjoy the Paul Madriani mysteries. This time a murder is connected to a "vigilante" who abducts children from their supposedly abusive guardian/parent and hides them, usually in Mexico. The grandparents have legal custody because their daughter/mother has a drug addiction problem. It all gets mixed up with Mexican drug cartel operatives.
Jennifer Junker
This is the fourth book about the lawyer Madriani that I've read and I just love how real the characters seem. They have very human attitudes and problems and feelings. The courtroom scenes seem extremely realistic, and the stories keep me up late!
Stephanie
For some reason, I am a sucker for the protagonist in this - Paul Madriani. I sort of wondered where this one was going, but followed it as it went and enjoyed the trip to San Diego in my mind...I'd recommend this one.
Glenda
The clue to who done it came early in the story. That being said, I think the story was still full of action and well written, and, if you missed the early clue you may have been surprised by who done it.
Tom
Recently finished this title. I've enjoyed other Martini novels before and enjoyed this as well. It was not my favorite of the series but still I'm glad I took time for this book.
Dale
Abridged
Published by Simon & Schuster in 2000
Read by Chris Meloni
Duration: 4 hours, 41 minutes

I am a relative newcomer to the works of Steve Martini, this being my third book, the second one as an audiobook.

As a listener, I can tell that Martini's craft has improved quite a bit - my first experience with a Martini audiobook (The Judge) only accentuated Martini's overuse of the simile (he moved like a cat, etc.) - it was so obvious that I began a running count of how many times I heard them!...more
Kellie
Dindy
I found this to be a very annoying book-- I listened to it on audio, and it did hold my interest enough, but I was frustrated at the stupid mistakes made by attorney Paul Madriani and his girlfriend, Susan.

Sleuthing attorney Paul Madriani is surprised when a client from his past, Jonah, contacts him to enlist his help in the return of his granddaughter, who has been kidnapped by her cokehead mother, Jessica, with the help of a fanatical activist Zolanda Suade.

Suade and Jessica are prepared to p...more
Jackie Simons
Read 5/00
Kristen
Well, I had this one figured out about halfway through. It was the first Martini book that I did have figured out before the end, though. Maybe I've read enough that I'm getting used to his style now or something. I don't know. It was still a very good read, though.

I really like the character of Paul Madriani. Actually, I like Harry Hinds a lot, too. I think they make a good team, and I like the snark between the two. In some ways, it reminds me of the snark between Bones and Spock. =) I wish H...more
Colette
First book I have read from this author and I'm pretty sure I will be reading more!! Attorney Paul Mardriani is defending an elderly man accused of killing a woman that is suspected of assisting in the disappearance of his grand daughter. The search for her continues as his trial progresses. The state presents a very good case and Paul is wondering if his client really is guilty since all the evidence is pointing towards him. Lots of action and an ending I certainly didn't see coming!!!!!
Marsha
In this novel, the author was detailed-oriented, covering all his basis. My favorite scenes were those that took place in the courtroom. The court scenes moved swiftly due to lots of dialogue. The attorney Paul Madriani's client Jonah Hale is accused of murdering a woman named Zo Suade, who helped Hale's drug-addicted daughter Jennifer disappear with his granddaughter, Amanda. All leads show him guilty, but is he?

The author Steve Martini was a practicing California attorney before writing fictio...more
Nancy Rogan
I am not really sure why this book didn't rate very high with me, but I can only call it average. There was much too much description of places and things for me. I can get the picture if the author says an area was bustling with activity. I don't need to know all the different kinds of people who are bustling and what they are all doing. On the other hand the mystery was intriguing and I have to say the ending was a total surprise to me - even though I didn't LIKE the ending and I felt a lot wa...more
Brian
Annie
Feb 20, 2010 Annie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Annie by: annie.oswald@gmail.com
The story line flowed well but the story line itself was weak. I struggled throughout the book to try to put together the attorney's defense (and so did the attorney). If you like Martini this is not one of his best but you need to read it to add it to the list of Martini books you've read.

P.S. I'll miss Dick Francis. My mother introduced me to Dick Francis novels when I was a teenager. He passed away this week and it feels like another link to my mother is gone. Thanks Mr. Francis for many many...more
Marleen
Being a fan of Chris Meloni, (the actor), I purchased this Audio book (from Audible.com) mainly because he’s narrating this one. This is my first encounter with this author, Steve Martini, and, although I wasn’t all that impressed by the story, it wasn’t so bad either. Overall it was a nice listening experience. Chris Meloni does a good job as a narrator. It deserves a three stars rating, also because that little twist in events at the end was pretty good. I had my suspicions about “you-know-who...more
JoAnn Ainsworth
Trial dragged on too long, but the ending closed so rapidly I was let down. I liked the storyline and the ending twist.
Erin Carey
Probably my least favorite thing about these types of books is that I'm always aware that it's never the person it's set up to be so I spend most of the book looking for the slight clues which will lead me to the true killer. This book was no different. While I enjoyed the book, I felt the most excitement happened in the last 10 pages. However, Martini seems to throw it all out so fast it loses some of the effect. Overall, it was an enjoyable courtroom read that for the most part, kept me guessi...more
Joan Horkey
Great reading! Plenty of twists in the plot. Very satisfying.
Joanne
I expected to like this author better...this book was a Mystery Guild Main Selection as well as a Literary Guild and Doubleday book club selection.
Lots of legal technicality goes on and on...then there's suddenly some action near the end of the book, everthing races along...and at the end you find out someone yoiu never think of does the crime. It's definitely a surprise ending...but a drag getting there.
J. Ewbank
This book by Martini is a wonderful story about a gifted lawyer and one of the toughest cases he could have. Will not tell you about the story itself because others will do that. If you like myster and susense you will enjoy this story. The characters are belivabl and the plot is one that keeps you turning the pages.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Ism" and "Wesley's Wars"
Susan
Attorney Paul Madriani has moved his practice to San Diego and soon finds one of his former clients has moved there, too and won the lottery - literally. But the newly rich client has lost his granddaughter and suspects she was kidnapped by a woman who specializes in doing whatever is needed to get women and children away from men. Madriani gets right in the middle. It's a good beach book.
Jen
A nice little twist at the end wrapped up a standard courtroom drama with some interesting international intrigue. One quibble...the author spent pages and pages and pages on one conversation between the prosecutor and a witness, but months passed with a few words. A little confusing. And the narrator of this one was annoying. All of the "bad" characters had whiny intonations.
Carrol
The book was also given to me as a "favorite". I had not read any other books by this author. I did enjoy it - at times I wished it moved a bit faster, but the ending really did catch me by surprise. If you like "legal thrillers", I would suggest you try this. At some point, I intend to try another of his books. He appears to be a pretty prolific writer.
Tammy Tierney
Sep 10, 2007 Tammy Tierney rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everyone
I love Steve Martini! He delivers Paul Madriani's most challenging case I've read so far. One that pits a drug addicted mother against her newly rich father in a child custody battle for her daughter. It leads to criminal accustations, covert operations and finally to murder. This one was a page turner that I had a hard time putting down!
  • The Associate
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • Move to Strike
  • Conviction (Christopher Paget, #4)
  • Personal Injuries (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #5)
  • Primary Justice (Ben Kencaid, #1)
  • Suspicion of Guilt
  • Reversible Error
  • Moment of Truth (Rosato & Associates, #5)
  • Abuse Of Power
  • When Darkness Falls (Jack Swyteck, #6)
Steve Martini, a former lawyer, writes legal thrillers and mysteries. His "Paul Madriani" books are bestsellers.
More about Steve Martini...
The List Prime Witness (Paul Madriani, #2) The Rule Of Nine (Paul Madriani, #11) The Judge (Paul Madriani #4) Guardian of Lies (Paul Madriani, #10)