Start by marking “Lightning Tower / Dark King” as Want to Read:
Lightning Tower / Dark King

Lightning Tower / Dark King (The Horus Heresy Audio Drama)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  437 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
This booklet contains 2 short stories by two of the Black Library’s most popular authors, The Lightning Tower by Dan Abnett and The Dark King by Graham McNeill.
softback, 32 pages
Published October 2007 by Black Library

To ask other readers questions about Lightning Tower / Dark King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lightning Tower / Dark King

Ebster Davis
Jul 05, 2011 Ebster Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good both for those of us who love hereics and for those emperialist scum. Set in a secular futuristic society, this audio story is about two genetically enhanced superhuman warrior brothers/clones: Konrad Curze (the heretic) and Rogal Dorn (the loyalist).

In the first story Curze (AKA "The Dark King") gets in a fight with primarch brother (Rogal Dorn) breaks out of prison pretty awesomely, and joins Horus' Heresy.

The second story "The Lightning Tower" is a bit slower; Rogal Dorn returns to Terra
Dylan Murphy
This is my first venture into Black Library Audio Dramas, and I must say, I am most pleased with them! The music and sound effects are amazing, and since I was reading the scripts alongside listening to the audio, I could really feel like I was there!

The Dark King:
The Dark King is about Konrad Curze, one of the primarchs I have been most interested in since my introduction to Warhammer 40000 and the Horus Heresy, and I must say that it was amazing to finally read/listen to a story with him as t
Matt
Jun 16, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first audio-book from the H.H. series that I have listened to, and from the beginning "The Dark King" had me on the edge of my seat. Danny Webb delivers the narrative with a deep, powerful voice you would expect of a Primarch, and the excellent use of sound effects really makes you feel you are listening to a movie soundtrack.
Dan Abnett's writing crackles with the energy of a power-sword, and provides genuine insights into the minds of the Primarchs Dorn and Kurze. Even before the h
Tom
Oct 03, 2012 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
These stories focus on two of the Primarchs; the noble & stern Rogal Dorn and the damaged & bitter Konrad Curze. With Dorn having little screen time in the series thus far (he's turned up in a number of book but usually just to prod the plot along for another protagonist) and Curze having almost none it was a good for them to have their own tales even if they were just short stories. I look forward to seeing more of the characters later in the series (especially Curze).
Lex
It's Primarch vs. Primarch as the story of the growing hatred between Konrad Curze, of the Night Lords, and Rogal Dorn of the Imperial Fists are told in these two books. I like how the stark contrast of the two Primarchs are easily conveyed, and how Dorn's thoughts clearly flesh out his personality. Suffice it to say, Dan Abnett is still in the zone when he writes these short installments.
Steve
My first experience with an audiobook. Overall, very pleasant. The reading was very clear and easy to follow, the story wasn't very deep, but certainly engaging enough to be interesting, and the overall time spent listening to this was very worth it. The reader's voice was a perfect quality for this, and the work he did on individual characters' voices was well worth it.
Adrian Ayala
Oct 20, 2012 Adrian Ayala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two short stories that take place just prior to book 8 of the Horus Heresy. I know...I know I said I was done with HH for awhile, but they were short sooooo yeah.

And Dan Abnett wrote the first one, and I love his writing.

Great reads and I would say that though they are not a must, they do offer small glimmers of what is currently going on else where in the epic.
Mike Shepherd
This short audiobook served to whet my appetite to hear/read more about the terrorising Night Lords chapter and their primarch Konrad Curze (I see there are few non-Heresy books about them) and also made me see Rogal Dorn and his Imperial Fists as less boring than I had suspected.

Enjoyable and well read by Danny Webb - next audiobook Ravens Flight
Scooter
Aug 11, 2011 Scooter rated it it was ok
Another audio novel, once again finding time to appreciate it was a bit hard, but I did find myself looking forward to hearing the next section when I had to leave it. Still, this format doesn't hold a candle to actual printed words...
Keamy Loken
Sep 29, 2011 Keamy Loken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the narrator...Rogal Dorn will forever have a british accent in my head:) Cruz I never want to meet him up a dark ally.
Steven van Hasselt
Curze is basically space-batman. Would love to read more about him and his chapter
Patt
Jul 04, 2013 Patt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than most audiobooks not bad stories...
David
Feb 23, 2013 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
outstanding!!
Michio Wallace
Michio Wallace is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2016
Jason Szilagyi
Jason Szilagyi rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Dean Goosen
Dean Goosen rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Andrew Offen
Andrew Offen rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Michael Tite
Michael Tite rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Arabella
Arabella rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Yuki-Aurelian Chan
Yuki-Aurelian Chan rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
David Brits
David Brits rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
DerCreep
DerCreep rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Deryck Arnold
Deryck Arnold rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Eric
Eric rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Ashley Arvidson
Ashley Arvidson marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Nicholas Sacco
Nicholas Sacco rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Lyulph
Lyulph rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
  • Angel Exterminatus
  • Brotherhood of the Storm
  • Galaxy in Flames
  • The Horus Heresy: Collected Visions

The Horus Heresy (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Horus Rising (The Horus Heresy, #1)
  • False Gods