Start by marking “Beneath A Blood Red Moon (Vampire #1)” as Want to Read:
Beneath A Blood Red Moon (Vampire #1)

Beneath A Blood Red Moon (Vampire #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,118 ratings  ·  46 reviews
A tale that sweeps the reader from the antebellum South to contemporary New Orleans, the dark, sensuous world of love and immortality of the beauty and the beast whom some call vampire...

Maggie Montgomery, the owner of Magdalena's an elegant New Orleans boutique, gasped when she learned about the mysterious beheading of a local street person, and the trail of blood that le
Published October 1st 1999 by Zebra (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Beneath A Blood Red Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beneath A Blood Red Moon

'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerDark Lover by J.R. WardInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Best Adult Vampire Books
184th out of 1,180 books — 6,618 voters
Dark Lover by J.R. WardLover Awakened by J.R. WardLover Eternal by J.R. WardLover Unbound by J.R. WardLover Revealed by J.R. Ward
Paranormal reads
347th out of 817 books — 556 voters

More lists with this book...

Holly
Oct 11, 2009 Holly rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal/vampire romance
I have conflicted feelings about this book. First off, I'm a huge fan of Heather Graham/Shannon Drake (SD is Heather's pseudonym). And there were several aspects to this book that I really liked; I thought the historical flashbacks were the best part of the story. I also loved the character of Lucian who is the main focus of the next book in the series When Darkness Falls. However, the things that I found irritating about the story began to pile up towards the end of the book. HG/SD is known to ...more
Carrie
This book has been in my book case for YEARS!!!! Just never gotten around to reading it, like so many of my other books, especially the older ones. You know how it is, a new book comes out and you want to read them.

It is very easy to tell that this book was written in the 90s. Not that this is a bad thing, it's the type of vampire novel that gotten me into the PNR. Something that I really liked was how both Countess Elizabeth Báthory and Jack the Ripper were both mentioned(both who I am very fa
Gina
Shannah was right (thank you, Shannah!) about this book. The characters were interesting, and you could feel the static between them, the sparks dragging you right into the story. Drake's descriptions brought you right there, as if watching it all from the sidelines. The action was terrific, some scenes emotional. The plot was interesting, even if you knew who and what was going on, it was how the story got the climax and ended that kept you riveted. I've already got the next three books in the ...more
Jan
The first of Shannon Drake's vampire books, it takes place in New Orleans of the present and the past. There are good vampires hunting the bad vampires and lots of romance. This was the first vampire romance that I ever read and I have to say that it is one of the best. I am not so much a romance reader as a mystery and paranormal reader, so maybe that is why this book had so much appeal. I have read it several times.
Laura the Highland Hussy
I think once I realized this book was from 1999, my opinion became a little less harsh. I've noticed that the best paranormal romances are much more recent. Maybe we're all more vampire-tolerant, and pro-werewolf now :)
I liked the glimpses into the past of Magdalena's life, but I didn't like the way the author made it so ambiguous that Maggie was Magdalena...especially when it was obvious that she was.
I'm not a huge fan of murder/mysteries, so that being a huge aspect of the book kinda turned
Zuzana
Review in czech language.

Dlouho předtím, než se roztrhl pytel s paranormálními romancemi, přišla Shannon Drake, autorka známá především svými historickými romancemi, s prvním dílem romantické upíří série stručně nazvané Upíři. První díl zavádí čtenáře do současného New Orleans, kde se množí případy vražd až příliš podobné stylu Jacka Rozparovače.

Sean Canady coby zasloužilý policista a bývalý voják už ve službě viděl a zažil hodně nepříjemných věcí. Brutální vraždy prostitutky a pasáka ovšem zamá
Jaime
This was good for a little while, but it quickly turned into one of those "let’s throw everything plus the kitchen sink in here" stories. I was good with it when it was just murdering vampires tied into a hot and heavy love story, but then we have tie-ins to Jack the Ripper and the Civil War and by the time we got to the reincarnation I was done with it. I actually gave it up about 75% of the way through, pretty much unheard of with me. And have I mentioned that these vampires follow almost NONE ...more
Faye Hollidaye
Great book! It's a suspenseful, romantic, historical, detective-type vampire murder mystery. There are so many elements to this book that it's a bit hard to describe, but it's wonderful. It's not incredibly predictable, but comfortably so, and so intriguing that I couldn't put it down. I highly recommend if you like complex, well-written novels about eternal love.
Gypsie Holley
Ooohhh nice! I like that it was present day vampires but also read Maggie's past. How she came to be and what brought her to be the vampire she was now. I like the soul connection with her man, Sean. I loved Lucian. Why does the heroine always have more than one man in love with her?

No quotes.

Karolyn Howard
A great vampire story, done befoe vampires became "over done". Interesting take on vampire history and lore. Very likeable characters and the start of a great series.
Petra Sýkorová
Shannon Drake je známá díky svým historickým romancím, které si oblíbily čtenářky po celém světě. Její knihy se pravidelně umisťují na žebříčcích bestsellerů ve Spojených státech i v řadě evropských zemích. Shannon Drake je ve skutečnosti pseudonym Heather Graham, která se narodila i vyrostla na Floridě, kde získala vysokoškolský titul na University of South Florida s hlavním zaměřením na divadlo.

Po vysoké škole si vyzkoušela divadelní jeviště, módní molo i servírování v baru. Potom se vdala a p
Jessorella
I didn't finish this book… and I feel ashamed to say it! But, frankly, when a book just isn't grabbing me even though I'm a good few chapters into it, I have to let it go. I used to slog through books that I found hard or not particularly enjoyable, simply because I felt guilty for abandoning them. But now I have too many books waiting to be read and too little time to read them, so I'm afraid I parted with this book before the halfway point.

The premise of the book is interesting, weaving togeth
Heather
I am still in the process of reading this book. I am having a little bit of concentration issues due to the fact that it bounces frequently to the past without really indicating that it is where the author wants you to go. I am also a little disgusted with the spelling and punctuation, but I am not sure if it is the result of my reader or if this is how it is with the paper back; through out the book there are 7's in place of I's, he instead of the etc. If you have a paper copy of this book can ...more
Emily
It seems that every vampire novelization changes the rules of vampirism just a bit to fit their purposes. This series is no different, but here it seems to work. Police officer Sean Canady has to solve the murders of several New Orleans prostitutes that are eerily similar to the killings of Jack the Ripper. Clues lead straight to Maggie Montgomery whose family has been entwined with Sean’s for generations. Is Maggie a murderess or is she being set up? Or is she maybe something else all together? ...more
Nicole
Micky Parise
Not a big fan of Vampire novels, but this one was really enjoyable. Great plot, great characters and a really good read. Recommend highly.
Diana
Vampires past and present back in forth between time. Sean the cop who falls for a woman who resembles her Grandmother of the past. Lucien the Vamp who helps her adjust to being.. and the bad guy who is he??? Read and found all the love, revenge and the friends you are so glad tio have.

Its an older book but its really good. This books jumps back in forth from past to present. Make sure you read them they actually help to understand Maggie..

Good reading
Aparna
A highly so-so book. I did have some difficulty trying to finish the book. More of a 'god-i-got-to-finish-this' sorta deal.

Though it was too long and winding and she kind of lost me in the middle.
If you have read enough Vampire-romance novels you can kind of figure out where shes going with the next chapter. So find yourself getting bored from time to time, or skipping paras. :)
Wendy
Read May 2006

This was a good read. It bounces back and forth between time periods which adds an interesting twist to the book.

A true love that last more than one lifetime. A vampire who is not evil, but good. A battle that has lated a century culminating in modern day New Orleans. All in all an interesting read and I will look for more of Shannon Drake's books.
I really enjoyed this story. The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is the lack of proofreading. The inconsistencies and errors bothered me. Had the book gone through more editing, I would have given it five stars. Despite the problems here and there, the overall plot was sound and moved along well. I will definitely continue to read the series.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Never heard of this author before, but I enjoyed this novel. Maggie has had an incredible life. I like how she goes away to Europe every 20 or so years and comes back as her 'daughter'. The reincarnation twist of this story is neat. Sean comes back over a century later as his namesake! Murder, mystery, passion, revenge, and vampires. Great read!!
Draven
I'm picky with my vampire novels, being a devoted Anne Rice fan, but I'm a sucker for anything set in New Orleans and I felt confident in Shannon Drake/Heather Graham's ability to pull it off. I was right to do so! This was a great read, both as a romance and murder mystery.
Emily
Read this one years ago but it is one of my favorite vampire stories. Maggie Montgomery is not all she appears to be, when a murder happens close to her boutique it brings in Police officer Sean Canady, who has an unexpected tie with the owner.

Heather
The version I had from iBooks was appallingly edited, mistakes everywhere which kind of made the story harder to enjoy as mistakes jarred the flow of the story. The story itself wasn't bad, if a little too predictable.
Cindy Martz
I was impressed with this book it was a a little hard to get into at first but then after it got around the 3rd chapter I had hard time putting it down. It is a book well worth reading if you are a vampire book fan
Lauren
Vampires, New Orleans, and Jack the Ripper! Who couldn't love this book?!?! The story was amazing and Maggie has to one of my favorite characters of all time, I just love her spunky personality.
Sharal Hunter
This was an OK story. I would have liked to have known why the villain was doing what he was doing, more on his background, etc. The tie-in to Jack the Ripper was interesting.
Lisa B
I've read this book countless times and enjoy it each time I do. It's a great beginning to a wonderful series and if you like Vampire Romance... this is a truly fun series.
Tricia
This was a good book i really like how they kept you wondering if Maggie was a vampire. the book is more graphic than i like but i did make it through.
Kaye
I am over half way through this book and to my surprise I am really enjoying it. Has anyone read the entire series? If so - what did you think?
EPUB 1 9 Oct 19, 2011 09:51AM
  • Kiss of Darkness (Alliance Vampires, #7)
  • Kiss Me Forever / Love Me Forever (Forever Vampires #1-2)
  • Passionate Thirst (Candace Steele Vampire Killer #1)
  • After Midnight (Cabot, #1)
  • Keeper of the King (Ethical Vampires #1)
  • Born In Twilight (Wings in the Night, #5)
  • Sea Lord (Children of the Sea, #3)
Heather Graham Pozzessere
aka Heather Graham, Shannon Drake

Heather Graham was born on March 15, 1953 and grew up in Dade County, Florida, and attended the University of South Florida at Tampa, majoring in theater arts and touring Europe and parts of Asia and Africa as part of her studies. After college, she acted in dinner theaters, modeled, waitressed, and tended bar. She married Hershey Dennis Po
More about Shannon Drake...
When Darkness Falls (Vampire #2) Realm Of Shadows (Vampire, #4) Deep Midnight (Vampire #3) Wicked (Regency Trilogy, #1) The Awakening (Vampire, #5)