Start by marking “How to Work a Room: The Ultimate Guide to Savvy Socializing In Person and Online” as Want to Read:

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  269 ratings  ·  39 reviews
More than 38,000 copies of this networking classic have been sold in two audio editions. Now Susan Roane's invaluable advice is available on CD

You enter a crowded room. For a moment every eye is on you. And a little voice inside you cries, "HELP!" If this has ever happened to you, you're not alone! Walking into a room full of people you don't know can be very uncomfortable
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published September 1st 2004 by Macmillan Audio (first published September 1989)

To ask other readers questions about How to Work a Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Work a Room

John
Disclaimer: I met Susan RoAne on a Southwest Flight from SFO to LA on December 30, 2013 enroute to the 2014 Rose Bowl game in Pasadena between Stanford and Michigan State. Susan and I spoke for the duration of the flight about Stanford University, its football team and the exploits of her grandson Shayne Stov (who was a key leader on the Stanford defensive team).

I am a third generation Stanford graduate (Class of '76). Near the end of the flight, Susan informed me she was an author of business
Rob Slaven
I started reading a book in the vicinity of this day. It's completely out of character as it's called, "How to work a Room." Yeah, yeah. Get back on your chair. After 50 pages I'd gleaned a couple of useful facts. By 100 pages I was just about ready to tear the book in half just to guarantee that one copy of this bullshit out of the millions available would not poison another impressionable mind. Anyway, let's start with the good and useful things I was told. Yes, I know, they're obvious but I'm ...more
Peggy Payne Paustenbach
as a pathologically shy somebody who needs to learn to work a room....the majority of this book is just basic common sense and some platitudes..don't get drunk, do research, read newspapers, have a sense of humor, pay attention to the handshake, don't dress like a slut at business events, be nice...etc, etc.

There were useful "nuggets" thrown in various chapters: in terms of personality...reminders to always be a "host" (active participant)in a room, rather than a "guest" (someone passive)...tips
Paul Bard
Turns out that the negative reviews were not accurate for this book in one way.

If you've read "How to make friends and influence people" you know it gives basic advice in a simple format. But is that a basis for criticism.

Likewise, critics of this book are missing both the point and the message of the book.

The point of this book is to give the precise simple instructions on social success in business contexts.

The message of this book is that a light, humorous, gracious attitude, combined with a
Julie
Second time reading this. While some parts seem repetitive or obvious there is a lot of really great ideas and info in this book for anyone looking to be more comfortable in a room full of strangers or mostly strangers.
Erin
I am usually anti-self-help books, but this was the title I chose for the required reading portion of a class on politics and networking that I took. There is nothing I hate more than walking into a room full of people I don't know. Thought this might help. Picked up a few pointers. Mostly, don't cling desperately to the only person you know in a room (my usual tactic.) Move around, mingle and be yourself. Remember, everyone else hates it as much as you do. (So why do we do this to ourselves?) A ...more
Amanda
I found this book while browsing through available e-book titles on the library's website. With the popularity of e-readers and a limited selection of e-books, sometimes you have take what you can get. This one was immediately available and I'm always game for a short book with helpful tips on how to navigate life easier.

The premise of How To Work A Room is to give the reader tips to overcome negative feelings that may arrive when you are faced with meeting a group of new people. Susan RoAne fo
Beth
I thought I’d really like this book — I needed to figure out how to be socially graceful — not the life of the party, necessarily, but likeable enough that I can score some friends.

I think the book does help with that. A few ideas mentioned in the first fifty pages really inspired me, such as:

1. 88% of the population considers themselves “shy,” so you are likely doing people a favor by talking to them (they are not brave enough to initiate conversation!)
2. Not sure how to start a conversation?
Keshov Sharma
Palle Svensson
I read it after a great interview with her and was really enthusiastic to read it.
It started of great, but after a while I realized that it wasn't more then common sense advice throughout the book. I would had want her to really dig deeper into the subject.
Steven
Dec 23, 2009 Steven rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
Recommended to Steven by: Jon
Carre Gardner
Uh...I guess I didn't realize that there are people in the world who need to be taught to take an interest in others and make conversation with them in a social setting. Isn't that something that you just do, if you like people? RoAne (this can't be her real surname, can it?) breaks it down for us in painful detail, but I don't think you can actually teach someone how to be charming, how to be interesting, and how to take a genuine interest in someone else. Either you're that kind of person, or ...more
Meghan
Fabulous, fabulous, FABULOUS! Even if you THINK you're the most social person in the world and don't need to learn anything about socializing; think again and take a look at this book. I needed some help overcoming some of my anxiety about meeting new people and I figured I'd learn a tip or two about breaking the ice from "How to Work a Room" - I never thought I would be re-learning everything I thought I knew about socializing as an adult! RoAne provides tips, tricks and insights that will help ...more
Heather
Good book which talks about more than networking, but about connecting with others in a professional manner. Good practical advice (most common sense), but it sinks in deeper each time you hear/read it.
Note, that there are several versions of this book so make sure to read the most update version or you'll be distracted by some of the dated materials (e.g., the section on electronic etiquette).
Richard
I want my children to read this book. There are so many skills addressed that make a real difference in how we connect with those around us. By following her advise, we may become more profitable in our business pursuits, but I think the greater value is in the relationships and interpersonal transactions we will enjoy connecting with others. She demonstrates there is no need to ever be "alone."
Frank Dodd
Stuff we should have known - but may not have known. Why didn't our parents tell us how to do this? Or maybe why don't they teach this in school. Really should be a basic college class or maybe a high school class.
Great summary's and quick hint guides in each chapter. Could use a little more humor or story telling. But Susan did much better than most when building this type of book.
Alexandra Bowen
Very great points. If you are a professional, you most likely knew about 50%, but the other 50% was informative and it is always good to go over building blocks and revisit ideas.
Carl
Terrible book. I thought it would be something about networking but it's full of the most obvious advice ever. My favorite was "don't be shy, if you're afraid to talk to someone just assume they feel the same way and will be happy you approach them." This might be useful for 13 year old boys.
Richard
I listed to this on CD. Nothing surprising...everyone is uncomfortable at a social gathering, so just go up and introduce yourself...There was an interesting section on email etiquette - actually talking about how "framming" your friends is rude.
Josh
This book was well-written with a lot of practical tips. Each chapter has a concise summary at the end which makes it easy to scan the book for tips and then decide which sections you want to explore further.
Thomas
It has it's good parts, but unfortunately, even with its "updates" it reads out-dated and obviously has parts that are no longer topical. Perhaps skim through for the useful info.
Tina Mesuria
This is a great networking book. I have reccomended this book to multiple co-workers and friends. The book gives a lot of common sense advice but it is still worth a quick read.
Jacque
Great basic book for teens to young adults on initiating connections for both social and business purposes. I have a 1988 edition, not listed on good reads. Want my teens to read it.
Chris Cohen
Easy read. Mostly common-sense material, but some gold nuggets (e.g., discussion on making proper introductions, name tag placement).
Mary
I read this book when I was working on a development project. In it I found helpful strategies for making connections as well as developing and maintaining relationships.
Sara Ashley
Aug 25, 2009 Sara Ashley is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am always picking this book up & reading chapters from it for inspiration. Definitely a book that I will continue to read every time I need a little pep talk.
Shimba
A lot of the book is common sense (which surprisingly many lack!). Easy read, I enjoyed it although I am a med student and the book is more business centred.
Lesley
There are a number of good tips in this book, nothing new much, but the reminders are always good, right?
Anna
Easy read. Rather business focused. I was reading an older edition too so a bit out of date.
SmarterLilac
Ever wondered how the public relations wizards do it? There are some terrific tips in here.
How to network 1 4 Jul 11, 2008 08:47AM
  • See Jane Lead: 99 Ways for Women to Take Charge at Work
  • Make Your Contacts Count: Networking Know-How for Business and Career Success
  • The Fine Art of Small Talk: How to Start a Conversation, Keep It Going, Build Networking Skills--and Leave a Positive Impression!
  • Reinventing Your Life: The Breakthrough Program to End Negative Behavior...and Feel Great Again
  • People Skills
  • The 29% Solution: 52 Weekly Networking Success Strategies
  • Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman: What Men Know About Success that Women Need to Learn
  • Pitch Like a Girl: Get Respect, Get Noticed, Get What You Want
  • Brag!: The Art of Tooting Your Own Horn without Blowing It
  • Fire in the Soul: A New Psychology of Spiritual optimism
  • The Art of Woo: Using Strategic Persuasion to Sell Your Ideas
  • Hacking Your Education: Escape Lectures, Save Thousands, and Hustle Your Way to a Brighter Future
  • Hardball for Women
  • The Articulate Executive: Learn to Look, ACT, and Sound Like a Leader
  • The Pursuit of Wow!: Every Person's Guide to Topsy-Turvy Times
  • A Million Bucks by 30: How to Overcome a Crap Job, Stingy Parents, and a Useless Degree to Become a Millionaire Before (or After) Turning Thirty
  • Less Is More: An Anthology of Ancient & Modern Voices Raised in Praise of Simplicity
  • The Go-Getter Girl's Guide: Get What You Want in Work and Life (and Look Great While You're at It)
What Do I Say Next?: Talking Your Way to Business and Social Success How to Create Your Own Luck: The "You Never Know" Approach to Networking, Taking Chances, and Opening Yourself to Opportunity Face to Face: How to Reclaim the Personal Touch in a Digital World The Secrets of Savvy Networking: How to Make the Best Connections for Business and Personal Success How to Work a Room: The Ultimate Guide to Savvy Socializing In Person and Online