Start by marking “Your One Year Old: The Fun Loving, Fussy 12 To 24 Month Old” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Your One Year Old: The...

Louise Bates Ames

Your One Year Old: The Fun Loving, Fussy 12 To 24 Month Old

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  321 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
The child from twelve to twenty-four months of age is a joy to have around - some of the time, that is. This child is growing at an incredible rate, learning to walk, learning to touch, learning to love, and learning to say "No!" for the first time. All of this can be quite a handful for the new parent.

In this first book in the series from the renowned Gesell Institute, wh

Published (first published May 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Your One Year Old, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your One Year Old

Christa
Nov 16, 2010 Christa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: babies-work
This book gives a good overview of what one-year-olds are like, but I didn't learn anything I didn't know already (except that in the 80's people were way more sexist and they hit their kids a lot more). Entertaining, short, and probably useful for someone who hasn't been around a one-year-old before. My favorite things about the book are the index entry "'Up, up.' See Being picked up and carried, child's desire for" and the excerpt: "Supplementing such books as those rather ludicrous ones menti ...more
Tina Prevatte
I started reading this book when Louisa was in the midst of a particularly demanding period that involved lots of frustrated grunting at us and the occasional tantrum. At first it provided great insight and perspective on what can be expected from a one year old developmentally, and how to deal with them. I particularly liked the explanation of how children go through alternating periods of emotional equilibrium and disequilibrium, largely attributable to developmental changes they are dealing w ...more
Jah H.
Now that we have another kiddo, I'm rereading the series, as well as continuing on by year with my older child. I've seen with the first three books that's so much of the observations about child behavior and development is spot on, despite the fact that these books are pretty old!

---

A bit outdated for my taste. I find it particularly difficult to relate to the letters from parents asking for advice. That said, there are parts I could keep in addition to the parts that aren't relevant for me. I
Khadijah
Lovely to read about the qualities and habits that my son displays everyday. A very good book to read when the stresses of motherhood start pulling you down!
Bookchick
Mar 31, 2011 Bookchick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I loved this whole series and found the books' developmental model to be so true in regard to children's periods of equilibrium and disequilibrium (periods of calm and adjustment versus periods of agitation and conflict).
Danielle
May 22, 2014 Danielle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, 2014
I knew this book was written in the 80s when I started it, but it was recommended highly on one of the parenting blogs I like. Unfortunately, most of it is drastically out of date. If you have zero experience with one year-olds and can read with a critical eye, it has some helpful, general information, but most of the science is very out of date, and obviously cultural norms have changed. I don't think it's completely useless, as it does provide a good overview of what's normal for kids at 12, 1 ...more
Pamela Hubbard
Oct 24, 2015 Pamela Hubbard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great, back-to-basics book about the development of a one-year-old. It's not a parenting book, per se, but it just gives insight into what is happening in the brain and body of your child and how that might manifest. I have read TONS of parenting books, and not one of those books flat-out told me that 15-21 months would be hell (which is what we are going through)...so it was reassuring to read this book and know that we are on track and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
Krista
Jun 06, 2016 Krista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first few chapters of this book are wonderful. Very helpful and insightful about the transition from babyhood to toddlerhood. I have read it and found it helpful for each of my three children. The second half of the book, is less helpful and bordering on odd. (Personality testing based on body shape, for example).
Jamie Holcomb
Mostly a book designed to encourage parents going through the roughly fifteen- to twenty-one-month fussy phase, at its worst around eighteen months. Plenty of funny stories and good information about what can reasonably expected of this age group, and more importantly, what can’t—like potty training or “minding.”
Keith Peters
Feb 04, 2016 Keith Peters rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, parenting
The book was uninspiring, but uneventful until it took a left turn into woo-land around chapter 8 when it start spouting unscientific nonsense. I don't know if the book held reasonable theories when it was published, but much of the information in chapters 8 and 9 is widely considered discredited now.
Lisa
Jan 20, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I'm glad I read this book. It does show its age in places (there's a warning about not leaving your cigarette where your one-year-old can reach it!), but most of it is basic information about child development and strategies for coping with where your one-year-old is developmentally. It's short and concise, with less repetition than is common in parenting books, so it was a quick read for me. One of the most useful points for me was the point that 1-year-olds need a lot of gross motor activity; ...more
Tiffany
Aug 12, 2014 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents, Grandparents, Early Childhood Educators
Amazingly thorough and clear book! Loved the detail about the life with a 1-year old. I've been told the entire series is phenomenal and a MUST-READ for every parent--and after reading this first one, I'm convinced!
Amy Kannel
Sep 26, 2012 Amy Kannel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, own
This one is a lot more helpful than the four-year-old edition. Part “what to expect,” part “your kid is totally normal,” it’s a quick read on developmental stages and helps you put your toddler’s behavior in perspective. Generally speaking, I think Christian parents are a little too quick to label everything a one-year-old does as “defiance” and “rebelliousness” and “disobedient sin.” While I do believe children are afflicted with the same sinful nature that plagues us all, I think it would do u ...more
Aug 09, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I thought it would just be dated in a "the kids in the pictures are dressed sooooo 80s" kind of way, but then I got to the section about how your child's body type predicts his or her personality. Bwuh? So then I didn't really trust anything else the book said.
Paul
Oct 15, 2013 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
In some ways this text is by now decidedly outdated and revealing of just how far we have come in our parenting views. Most notably the authors casually mention a toddler picking up a cigarette and give advice on how to keep your toddlers from playing with ash trays. I also found the idea that there are only three body types and these physical body types serve as a predictor of temperament to be more than a little off. That said there is practical wisdom for parents of young children. Quick read ...more
Lori
Jul 01, 2014 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been about 30 years since I read this book. The entire series was extremely helpful in raising our children. Given how outdated some reviews say this is perhaps I should go back and revisit this series, but what I remember is a set of books with amazingly accurate info on developmental stages and very sound general principles for giving effective discipline based on informed expectations. Many things have changed in these years, but I would guess that the solid foundations of these works wi ...more
Elizabeth Bober
Pretty good with a nice perspective on the abilities and interests of toddlers in the 12-15-and 18-month range. I'll probably re-read it as my youngest grows. It was clearly written a generation ago and some of the references are amusing and out of date. Toddlers love going for ash trays! Keep them in playpens! Plus a strange interlude in which the author suggests that personalities are pre-determined by body type. Whaaa? What strange phrenology-esque suggestions. That bit almost made me lose fa ...more
Tracy Dowds
Jan 03, 2014 Tracy Dowds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is some old school mumbo jumbo in this book, but it greatly articulates early toddler behaviors. It captures the essence of the motor driven, curious one year old and offers simple suggestions. My favorite piece of advice: learn now how to respond to tantrums with equanimity . Take your own emotions down and learn to be present for your child's feelings.
Ellee
Overall, an interesting book. The chapter about personality "systems" is a little outdated, I thought, but interesting to see where child psychology has come from since I was born. The letters from real parents were also interesting and though the frequency of "smacking" was a little alarming, most parents seemed exasperated by its inefficiency and were looking for other ways to deal with their toddlers - a plus. Overall, I'd recommend this book and am planning to read the next one about 2 year- ...more
Ben
Apr 10, 2014 Ben rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I fortunately checked this out from the library instead of buying a copy as this is quite dated and badly organized (children seem to vary much more in development time frames than this book implies as far as I can tell so organizing based on such short time periods makes things confusing). The only value to me was the laughs I got from "Stories From Real Life" section full of non-PC concerns about mamma's boys become homosexuals and backhanding children to prevent them from biting or spitting.
Jul 14, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Terribly out of date, possibly even for its publication date of 1983. The beginning of the book is much better than the end. It starts breaking down around the mesomorph/ectomorph theories (widely discredited and just awful) and the advice letters are painful to read (heteronormative, gendernormative, in favor of corporal punishment, the list goes on).
Hillary
Dec 18, 2008 Hillary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very specific, honest and informative guide to the behavior of a one to two year-old. The tone is more informative than instructive, which is a huge relief in a parenting book. Next to shelves of authors telling you how to parent, this book stands out as one that simply helps validate your experience and share what you are in for. It's also concise and doesn't repeat itself for the sake of making a thicker binding, the way a lot of this genre do. Great primer on your little person.
Sharoneaton
Jul 23, 2014 Sharoneaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
This book is a bit dated (showing its age through anecdotes and references throughout the book) however the insight the author offers into a child's motivation, interests and development is fascinating! I did skip over the last 1/3 of the book, as it includes mainly letters from parents asking the author questions (back when it was originally published). Overall,I found the information very insightful and helpful in understanding my child at this age!
Ginger Clausen
Oct 13, 2012 Ginger Clausen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best series of books for parenting children aged 1-8! These books have helped me countless times in raising my four kids! The books show the stages of learning that chidren go through so you can understand why your child is behaving the way they are- what they are learning and how that affects their behavior. Kids are pretty predictable as they go through the basic stages such as self awareness and attachment to parents, learning, etc.
Hannah
Aug 07, 2012 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, health
Nice little overview of life with one-year-olds. It was a good reminder that a lot of the frustrations of this age are prominent because they can't yet communicate what they want to, but are old enough to want to communicate more specifically than the cries of the first year of their life. Overall, it was just helpful to hear that "yes, this is normal," and to recognize that the most difficult times are often the times of biggest growth!
Jen
Insightful and helpful, but desperately in need of an update. This series came highly recommended, based on the three year old book, but I picked up this one since this is the agree I'm tracking at the moment. I skimmed a lot, but it was helpful to see a professional explanation for some things I've been noticing. I will have to check out the four year old book soon, since that child is causing me more headaches at the moment. ;)
Kristin
Aug 01, 2010 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good guide to what is going on developmentally with your child and what is normal behavior. It's a little dated (was written a year before I was even born) so the pics are fun. Some of the letters at the end are humorous at best. I wouldn't reach to this book for parenting/discipline advice (which it really doesn't give much of anyway) but it's a good companion to my other gentle discipline books.
Sara
Jan 19, 2009 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I like this whole series. They are rather dated in many ways - 70s and 80s pics and parenting techniques. But they are great for understanding developmental phases of each age. The authors seem to really advocate a fairly relaxed parenting style recognizing that many difficulties with children come from their developmental capabilities. As they grow, so will their ability to cooperate :)
Theresia
May 05, 2016 Theresia is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shannon
Apr 06, 2009 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice summary of development during the second year of life. Mark & I found the "Fun-loving & Fussy" title to be particularly apt. A little dated perhaps (from the early 80's) and not exactly a rousing read, but interesting for someone whose developmental peds rotation really focused basically on abnormal development instead of normal childhood development.
  • Redirecting Children's Behavior
  • Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year
  • Your Baby and Child: From Birth to Age Five
  • If You Really Loved Me: 101 Questions on Dating, Relationships, and Sexual Purity
  • Hints on Child Training: A Book That's Been Helping Parents Like Your...for More Than 100 Years
  • Parenting with Grace: Catholic Parent's Guide to Raising Almost Perfect Kids
  • Sleepless in America: Is Your Child Misbehaving...or Missing Sleep?
  • Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense, Revised and Updated Edition
  • Positive Discipline A-Z: 1001 Solutions to Everyday Parenting Problems
  • The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two
  • Between Parent and Child: The Bestselling Classic That Revolutionized Parent-Child Communication
  • Medications and Mothers' Milk 2006 (Medications and Mother's Milk)
  • Dear Birthmother
  • Playful Parenting
  • Successful Christian Parenting
  • Does Anybody Else Look Like Me?: A Parent's Guide To Raising Multiracial Children
  • What to Do about Your Brain-Injured Child: Or Your Brain-Damaged, Mentally Retarded, Mentally Deficient, Cerebral-Palsied, Epileptic, Autistic, Athetoid, Hyperactive, Attention Deficit Disordered, Developmentally Delayed, Down's Child
  • The Wonder Weeks: How to Turn Your Baby's 8 Great Fussy Phases into Magical Leaps Forward