Start by marking “Rites Of Spring” as Want to Read:
Rites Of Spring

Rites Of Spring

This debut novel set in the music world captures the pressures and dangers of contemporary family life. The book describes the point of view of a 13-year-old girl whose life is falling apart and nobody notices.
Published September 7th 2006 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rites Of Spring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rites Of Spring

Jane
Oct 01, 2011 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessica Duchen has hit the bookshelves running with a debut novel that most of her audience can relate to. The story is about family life, marriage, partnership, understanding, coping with the death of a parent and those living as well as a young family whilst juggling a career. Does this sound familiar? Yes!
Adam the only son of Jewish parents, brought up by a controlling mother and a father who lives by old fashioned values, believing that the world was a better place when he was young. Sasha
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
Jun 06, 2010 Aly (Fantasy4eva) rated it liked it
Shelves: uk-bookish-love
My Thoughts - When I took this book home I was taking a chance really. I knew. Either I would like it or I wouldn't. I mean, there was no sign of the hot bad boy wooing the pretty innocent lonely girl? so if this was going to keep me entertained it better be good.

As soon as I started it, it just seemed to flow so smoothly which I knew was a great sign! I've read books like Shiver and Jessica's guide to dating on the dark side. Books I have been waiting for so long yet I have felt so let down by.
Tamsin Burley
Aug 25, 2013 Tamsin Burley rated it it was amazing
I've owned this book for a number of years now. I don't remember why or when I picked it up, but I know I've read it many times, with it even accompanying me to University each term.

I couldn't say exactly what the draw is; I have read other books about ballet, dysfunctional families and angst ridden teenagers (admittedly, not all in the same book!) yet few draw me in as much as Rites of Spring. Perhaps it is the numerous references to Stravinsky's work, perhaps it is my ability (even now, as an
Milly
Mar 26, 2011 Milly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those interested in heart-breaking yet inspiring stories.
I've read this book for the first time when I was on holiday in 2008, and the story made me cry and also inspired me to appreciate what I have. I never bothered to write down the title or the author,so when I got home I was heartbroken, not being able to find this book as I wanted to own my own copy. It was last year, that I actually managed to find it, after two years! Managed to google some parts of it that i remembered and bought my own copy straight away.
Still love it!
Had a lot of sympathy f
Pk
Pk rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Celene
Celene rated it really liked it
May 21, 2015
Anson Wun
Anson Wun rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2016
Iamme
Iamme rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Roz
Roz rated it did not like it
Apr 25, 2011
Ali
Ali rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2011
Jed
Jed rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2011
Naomi Jade
Naomi Jade rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2012
William Howard
William Howard rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Ali
Ali rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2010
Yasmin Braddell
Yasmin Braddell rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Gillian McAllister
Gillian McAllister rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2015
Vix
Vix rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2012
Melissa Malcolm
Melissa Malcolm rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Samantha-Jane
Samantha-Jane rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2013
Jade
Jade rated it did not like it
Feb 25, 2010
Jane Bulfin
Jane Bulfin rated it really liked it
May 30, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Lucy C Marshall
Lucy C Marshall rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Sythiel
Sythiel rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2012
Erika
Erika rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Neetu
Neetu rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Tricia
Tricia rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2014
Charlotte Hawksworth
Charlotte Hawksworth rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Lisa Hodgkinson
Oct 14, 2012 Lisa Hodgkinson rated it liked it
A bit trite. An engaging page turner but that's about it.
Annette
Annette rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Jessica was born in London. She first tried to write a novel at the age of 12 and found much encouragement from a distinguished author and a literary agent. After studying at Cambridge, she worked as an editor in music publishing and magazines for ten years.

Her latest novel, Ghost Variations, is based on a true incident in the 1930s: the bizarre rediscovery of the long-suppressed Schumann Violin C
More about Jessica Duchen...