Start by marking “The Pocket Book of Ogden Nash” as Want to Read:
The Pocket Book of Ogden Nash

The Pocket Book of Ogden Nash

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Here, in one volume, are the most popular poems of one of the most popular poets of the twentieth century -- perhaps of the last twenty centuries. Delightfully nonsensical, they in fact make the best of sense, accomplishing what only real poetry can -- allowing the reader to discover what he didn't know he already knew or felt.
Published May 15th 1990 by Pocket Books (first published 1931)

To ask other readers questions about The Pocket Book of Ogden Nash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pocket Book of Ogden Nash

Nandakishore Varma
A sample of Ogden Nash (maybe not all from this book!)

A Word to Husbands

To keep your marriage brimming,
With love in the loving cup,
Whenever you're wrong, admit it;
Whenever you're right, shut up.

Children's Party

May I join you in the doghouse, Rover?
I wish to retire till the party's over.
Since three o'clock I've done my best
To entertain each tiny guest;
My conscience now I've left behind me,
And if they want me, let them find me.
I blew their bubbles, I sailed their boats,
I kept them fr
Richard
I picked this up because I remember reading short humorous poems by Nash in grade school. I was expecting flippant light verse with silly end rhymes. And there was plenty of that. But there was also social commentary of surprising depth and relevancy. He talks about issues that are still important today, such as the commercialization of Christmas, gender relations, the generation gap, and even the fashionable deformation of the English language. But just when you think Nash is some sort of cynic ...more
Tadiana ♕Part-Time Dictator♕
Ogden Nash was a humorist poet who regularly took wild liberties with rhyme and meter, often coming up with delightful and absurd results. As the forward states: "Nash is the master of surprising words that nearly-but-do-not-quite-match, words which rhyme reluctantly, words which never before had any relation with each other and which will never be on rhyming terms again."
What would you do if you were up a dark alley with Caesar Borgia
And he was coming torgia?

Nash was often cynical:
Come live wi
g026r
Nash is amusing in small doses but tedious in anything larger.
Marvin
This is charming and funny poetry. It is dated and references people and events that no longer register with many today. I liked the book and would recommend it to anyone at least over 55 years of age. You may have to reference history, famous persons and trivia books to get some of the wit.
Samantha
Surprisingly racist, at times, and not-so-surprisingly misogynistic at others.
Anne
Apr 19, 2010 Anne added it
example of his poetry: "When called by a panther, don't anther."
Rachel Ann
Like a grown-up Shel Silverstein. Interesting and hilarious :)
Cindy Moyer
A little too weird for me.
Kelly
I am down in Charlottesville, VA right now, visiting my friend Andrew for the holiday weekend. Even though we were up until about 4am, I woke up at 8am and found this book beside the bed and started reading it and laughing and have only stopped to write this review, to remind myself to track down a copy for my own when I go home. Ogden Nash is the best and the funniest.
Rae
A collection of Nash's poetry...both the serious and the silly...His poems are so simple and yet they are also multi-layered, satirical and witty. Good stuff.
Bonnie
Mar 02, 2013 Bonnie added it
Great poetry
Cideon
Cideon marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
N
N marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Yvette Johnson
Yvette Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
  • Unleashed: Poems by Writers' Dogs
  • Edmund Spenser's Poetry
  • Blood, Tin, Straw: Poems
  • Great Tales of Edgar Allan Poe
  • The Spoken Word Revolution (slam, hip hop & the poetry of a new generation)
  • Catholic Matters: Confusion, Controversy, and the Splendor of Truth
  • Wedding Bells Ahead
  • Jelly Belly
  • The Hell with Love: Poems to Mend a Broken Heart
  • If You're Not Here, Please Raise Your Hand: Poems About School
  • Acolytes
Frederic Ogden Nash was an American poet well known for his light verse. At the time of his death in 1971, the New York Times said his "droll verse with its unconventional rhymes made him the country's best-known producer of humorous poetry".
More about Ogden Nash...
The Tale of Custard the Dragon Candy Is Dandy: The Best of Ogden Nash The Best of Ogden Nash Selected Poetry Ogden Nash's Zoo