Selected Poetry

Selected Poetry

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Book by Ogden Nash
Published January 9th 1995 by Black Dog & Leventhal

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poetry

Joy
This was one of my greatest discoveries ever. It's a book to keep
handy if ever one is slightly discouraged. I listened to it on tape
while I scrapbooked, with frequent stops to laugh out loud. It is very
quotable, so a hard text would have been handy.
Oh, I must go down to the beach, my lass,
And step on a lot of broken glass.
Daybreak is one of the greatest disadvantages in living in the solar
system.
When I throw rocks at sea birds,
I leave no tern unstoned.
A glass fills half a pint when filled,
Hal...more
Jimmy
Someone wrote a Goodreads review and gave only two stars saying "If you've read one Ogden Nash poem, you've read them all." Very true. I agree. But what Nash has done is create a brand of humor that succeeds in every poem. There are no bombs here. Every poem is funny. And there are hundreds of poems. So hey I can see someone reading only part of the book and stopping. I read it all and loved it.
Anne
I'm not quite certain how many of Nash's books I have read. But I love his poetry -- probably the first poet I really ever enjoyed. It is humorous and direct. One doesn't have to wonder what in the world the poet is talking about -- with Ogden you get it! I started reading him when he first was published -- years ago.
Carol
I've loved Ogden Nash since 5th grade.

The Panther

The panther is like a leopard,
Except it hasn't been peppered.
Should you behold a panther crouch,
Prepare to say Ouch.
Better yet, if called by a panther,
Don't anther.
Caleb

Nash is clever, but repetitive and artless. Read one Nash poem, and you've read them all.

That said, he is *very* clever. I got several good laughs before getting bored with Nash.
Josh
I have an audio recording of him reading his poetry. He sounds just like Forrest Gump. I think his poetry is hilarious and his insights on life, love, marriage, and society are right on.
Lavinia
Feb 19, 2008 Lavinia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lavinia by: R. Wayne Pace
My dad keeps this book in his bathroom and I always have to pick it up and read a few while I'm in there. I wonder if people wonder why I'm laughing in the bathroom?
Anna Hotchkiss
Every time depression sets in I read Ogdon Nash to find something to laugh about. This kind of medicine usaly works very well.
Gail
If you've never read Ogden Nash, you need to. I started reading his poetry in 5th grade and found it hilarious!
Simon
I could lap this stuff up all day. Have always loved his poems, no matter what age, no matter what mood.
Julie
Jun 26, 2009 Julie added it
My grandpa helped me discover a love for Ogden... Candy is good, but liquor is quicker
Greg
Date inaccurate but posted in honor of "Tin Wedding Whistle" as read on our wedding day.
Wanja
svaka mu čast kako mu je upao nobel za ovu njegovu zezanciju:)
Nate
The animal poems are great for the kids--why I bought this book.
Gail
Jul 13, 2010 Gail added it
I will read anything by Ogden Nash...anytime, anywhere...
Steve Walsh
I don't read much poetry, but Nash is the best!
Robin
Simply the most entertaining poet ever.
James
One of my favorite poets. Great stuff.
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Chloe Shi
Chloe Shi marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Frederic Ogden Nash was an American poet well known for his light verse. At the time of his death in 1971, the New York Times said his "droll verse with its unconventional rhymes made him the country's best-known producer of humorous poetry".
More about Ogden Nash...
The Tale of Custard the Dragon Candy Is Dandy: The Best of Ogden Nash The Best of Ogden Nash The Pocket Book of Ogden Nash I'm a Stranger Here Myself