Candy Is Dandy: The Best of Ogden Nash

Candy Is Dandy: The Best of Ogden Nash

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A bumper volume of the best poems by a hugely funny and quotable writer.
Published 1998 by André Deutsch (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Candy Is Dandy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Candy Is Dandy

Richa
So I read it again.
In the bus, in my room and in the train.
Read it once or read it twice..
not even reading countlessly would suffice
Choosing a favourite is so tough,
not a single one can you rebuff.
Z Coonen
Fun, unique, clever. Nash didn't like his children to say "Thanks" instead of "thank you" so when they said "thanks" he responded "Welks." My kind of guy. (That is from the bio of him.) His poetry is often funny, always true, thought provoking, and harder to write than it seems.
rebecca
i love ogden nash. i don't know this particular "best of" book, but i wholeheartedly recommend nash as a hilarious poet and silly-word-making master. he's the author of the famous poem that i read last year on poem in your pocket day (april 17th--celebrate it!) called the octopus. it goes a little something like this (as best i can remember)...

tell me, octopus, i begs
is those arms, or is they legs?

okay really that's all i can remember, although the whole poem is probably only about two lines lon...more
^
Sep 09, 2014 ^ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Roger McGough and Wendy Cope
An absolute delight. I just love dipping into this book, whenever the fancy takes me.

Ogden Nash's poetry ALWAYS come across fresh / quirky / new / thoughtful / entertainingly. Like Roger McGough, He is fascinated about the minutiae of everyday life; always a rich seam to mine.

I'm irritated by the cover claim that this is a collection of the "best of", because some of my personal Nash favourites are not included. However, if you're short of shelf space, and want just one volume of Nash's poetry,...more
Justine Delaney
sort of like Calvin and Hobbes in poetry format
David Sollis
What can I say - Mr Nash is definitely one of my favourite poets of all time. I was introduced to his works at school when I was about 7 or 8 years old and I've been hooked ever since.

This book is a brilliant collection of Ogden Nash' poems and contains many of his best works in my opinion. It's very rarely put back on the bookshelf, as I find myself regularly just dipping in from time to time.
Tom Hansen
Ogden Nash's command of rhyme is astonishing. If I were in a slightly more whimsical mood at the moment I'd try writing this review in a Nashian sort of meter, but I think I'll pass that opportunity up. Basically all there is to say is that, while I love poetry, I've never enjoyed myself in reading any book of verse as much as this one. It's just fun.
Patrick Neylan
In fact pretty much the complete works of one of America's funniest poets. All the pure gold is here, and rather too much of the rest.
Susan
My mom had the 5-book set when I was a girl and I just loved the way Nash played with words. His poems are just a delight.
Marie Theron
Endlessly amusing, so clever and original! Definitely a bedside book to read again and again.
H. P. Reed
And Ogden Nash at his best was very, very good.
Abhishek Shekhar
Abhishek Shekhar marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Shweta Agarwal
Shweta Agarwal marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Philip Same
Philip Same marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Pooja Udaikumar
Pooja Udaikumar marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Bhavna Bhasin
Bhavna Bhasin marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Ajay Koli
Ajay Koli marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Jedidiyah
Jedidiyah marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Jul 16, 2014
Frederic Ogden Nash was an American poet well known for his light verse. At the time of his death in 1971, the New York Times said his "droll verse with its unconventional rhymes made him the country's best-known producer of humorous poetry".
More about Ogden Nash...
The Tale of Custard the Dragon The Best of Ogden Nash The Pocket Book of Ogden Nash Selected Poetry I'm a Stranger Here Myself