Hark! The Herald Angel Screamed (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)

Hark! The Herald Angel Screamed (Augusta Goodnight #6)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  19 reviews
It’s Christmastime in the seemingly tranquil town of Stone’s Throw, South Carolina, but amid all the caroling, cookies, and cheer, a murderer casts a not-so-jolly pall on the holiday season.

Augusta Goodnight, guardian angel,sometime sleuth, and welcome boarder with longtime resident Lucy Nan Pilgrim, comes to the aid of her friends when, as Lucy Nan is searching for the p...more
Published November 11th 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hark! The Herald Angel Screamed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hark! The Herald Angel Screamed

The Golden Compass by Philip PullmanThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensA World of Joy by Christopher  ShieldsSnow Storms by Lisa Gillis
Winter Reads
246th out of 284 books — 269 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrice
This is an Augusta Goodnight Mystery that occurs during the Christmas holiday season of Advent. In this story Augusta Goodnight is Lucy Nan Pilgrim’s guardian angel. Augusta loves a good mystery and Lucy Nan is always getting books from the library for her to read. Lucy Nan’s family owns the old Willowbrook home and property. Currently Pastor Dave Tansey, his wife Louella and their son Jeremiah were acting as caretakers of the home and living in the Green Cottage on the property. Lucy Nan and h...more
Mandolin
Peace on earth and mercy mild...

It's the Christmas season in Stone's Throw, South Carolina, but peace on earth is not on the nativity program this year. Fear and anxiety have taken over the town once again after the death of a stranger out at the long-abandoned ancestral home of Lucy Nan Pilgrim. Lucy, along with her friends, is puzzled by the man's seemingly accidental fall from the empty house's balcony and soon becomes frightened when his death is tied to a mysterious locket, old ghost storie...more
Vickie
A perfect little cozy to read at this hectic time of year. Didn't have to think too hard and let the enjoyable story flow.

The little town of Stone's Throw is another place that seems pretty neat to live if it weren't for all the murder and mayhem. Everyone has a part to play, either as friend or foe.

Lucy Nan is lucky to have her coffee loving guardian angel, Augusta Goodnight, around for all the help Augusta is able to give. Augusta cooks and bakes magnificent goodies for Lucy Nan and her frien...more
Diane Large
A friend gave me this book and stated that she really enjoyed it. Well, I just started reading it and only realized that Augusta was a guardian angel when Lucy Nan was in Soso, Georgia. Don't know why Lucy Nan and Ellis have this angel that they can only see. Not a great mystery. Don't believe I'll be reading any more of her books.
Denise
This is a first book for me of author Mignon F. Ballard. I don't know how I managed to order this book because it is not the first in the series and I am usually careful to start with book one in a series. This book is actually the 7th in the Augusta Goodnight series. I am going to make this review very brief because I need to go back and read the other 6 books.

I did like the characters but since they are in podunk nowhere the author chooses really redneck, backwoods names for the characters wh...more
Susan
Augusta Goodnight is one of the more amusing angels in current detective fiction series, but this is not her finest hour. She is guardian angel to Lucy Nan, and is with the Southern widow when she discovers a body on her family's decrepit old plantation. The authorities are sure that he's a vagrant who has been sleeping in the building, and Lucy Nan and her friends are busy with Christmas preparations and the surprising new beau of one of the members of their reading club. But the dead man's une...more
Diane Heath
This time bodies are falling from balconies and friends are being drugged. Where did the mysterious locket come from? And where did it go?
Ken Bickley
I occasionally read Bonnie's "cozy" mysteries, and most are pretty good. This one isn't my cup of tea, though Ballard is a fine writer. I'll leave her books for the ladies from now on, though.
Judy King
It's not rocket science, but it is a charming and interesting tale of murders among the church ladies in the south at Christmas. Add in a guardian angel visible only to her guarded one and you have an unlikely tale, but one that is fun to read.
Naomi Phillips
A pretty good read. There were a few inconsistencies, and a lot of characters to keep track of, but I will probably read more of this series. I especially like the recipes at the end of the book for the dishes mentioned in the story.
Terre
This is the first of this series that I have read. The characters were likable; a few were a bit stereotypical, but overall enjoyed the book.
GREAT recipes at the end. I am making the jam cake and lemonade cake this week!
Sarah "Kat"
read for the holidays to get into the holiday murder spirit. Was decent. Was a little reluctant with the concept of a guardian angel ghost, but the character wasn't too cutesy.
Krob
Nov 22, 2008 Krob added it
November equals Christmas murder mysteries. This one was pretty good. I may look for more from author.
Marie
liked a story with a guardian angel in it and set during the Advent season. Quick read.
Cgmower
This was a little too corny for my tastes.
Kaye
This is a cute light mystery series.
fun and good recipes
Susan added it
Jul 15, 2014
Dallas Hayden
Dallas Hayden marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Mignon Franklin Ballard grew up in a small town in Georgia, and now lives in Fort Mill, South Carolina.
More about Mignon F. Ballard...
Miss Dimple Disappears (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #1) Angel at Troublesome Creek (Augusta Goodnight #1) Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #2) An Angel to Die For (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery) Shadow of an Angel (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)