Start by marking “Befriending Our Desires” as Want to Read:
Befriending Our Desires

Befriending Our Desires

Argues that 'desire' should be placed at the centre of the spiritual life: the concrete reality of passion has always been linked to the human search for the divine.
Published January 14th 2001 by Darton, Longman & Todd (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Befriending Our Desires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Befriending Our Desires

Jeff
Apr 05, 2009 Jeff rated it really liked it
Truly a life changer at a time in my life when the clash between living my life and living my duty was about to drive me insane. I recommend this book for anyone who lives a duty-filled life but knows God has to be far more understanding and loving than just to plop us here on Earth to follow a bunch of rules.
Floyd
Mar 06, 2017 Floyd rated it really liked it
This is an exploration of our desires including our sexuality and relating desire to our intimate journey with Christ. The writer draws significantly from the Ignatius of Loyola. I found this a valuable read in helping me to understand better the important role of desire in coming closer to God.
Matthew Green
Dec 05, 2013 Matthew Green rated it liked it
Sheldrake does a nice job of demonstrating why desire is necessary and valuable and even inherently integrated into life, particularly the spiritual life. However, his language and arguments are a little unfocused, which made it somehow feel weighty and fluffy simultaneously, as if there was something important that needed to be constructed out of insubstantial and blurry thoughts. Additionally, he waded now and then into theologically dubious territory such as asserting that God's desire for hu ...more
Amy Shutt
Jun 20, 2014 Amy Shutt rated it liked it
While I resonated with many of Sheldrakes points and appreciated the depth of historical background presented, I found it a difficult read. It is a text I will pick up again and again however.....perhaps too much to think on all at once.
Nick
May 02, 2009 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
This rather short book argues that without desire we cannot move closer to God and offered me much to reflect upon. I savored each of the short sections treating various aspects of desire in human life and spirituality.
Dawn Bodi
Loved this book. It's not an easy read and one I will return to - but perfect as a foundational read for Ruth Haley Barton's Transforming Community. I get why she recommended it!
Lane Miller
Lane Miller rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2013
Bill Lawrence
Bill Lawrence rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Dan Brunner
Dan Brunner rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Gerald Coleman
Gerald Coleman rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2012
Dustin J. Hibbard
Dustin J. Hibbard rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2014
Matt Stemp
Matt Stemp rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Bạch Hoa
Bạch Hoa rated it did not like it
Apr 11, 2013
Jenny Knox
Jenny Knox rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Mary Helene
Mary Helene rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2009
Randall Frederick
Randall Frederick rated it really liked it
May 30, 2012
VeeInNY
VeeInNY rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Anthony
Anthony rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
Karl Möller
Karl Möller rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2012
Grete
Grete rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2011
Daniel Harris
Daniel Harris rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2017
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2009
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2012
Charles Dean
Charles Dean rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2012
Leah Doughty
Leah Doughty rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2013
Matthew Hodgson
Matthew Hodgson rated it liked it
May 10, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Barbara H. Cathey
Barbara H. Cathey rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Philip Sheldrake is a theologian who has been closely involved with the emergence of Christian Spirituality as an academic field. Sheldrake is Past President of the International Society for the Study of Christian Spirituality, and was Leech Professor of Applied Theology at Durham University. His publications have focused on the interface of spirituality, theology, and religious history, and he ha ...more
More about Philip Sheldrake...