Start by marking “Last Tango in Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #2)” as Want to Read:
Last Tango in Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #2)

Last Tango in Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir #2)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  744 ratings  ·  43 reviews
To the girls who came to make it big in the town's 'What the Butler Saw' movie industry, Aberystwyth was the town of broken dreams. To Dean Morgan who taught at the Faculty of Undertaking, it was just a place to get course materials. But both worlds collide when the Dean checks into the notorious bed and breakfast ghetto and mistakenly receives a suitcase intended for a ru ...more
Published 2004 by Bloomsbury (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Last Tango in Aberystwyth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Tango in Aberystwyth

Here be Dragons by Sharon Kay PenmanAfter Forever Ends by Melodie RamoneFalls the Shadow by Sharon Kay PenmanThe Reckoning by Sharon Kay PenmanThe Mabinogion by Unknown
Books Set in Wales
21st out of 131 books — 109 voters
First Among Sequels by Jasper FfordeThe Eyre Affair by Jasper FfordeEats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne TrussBratfest at Tiffany's by Lisi HarrisonMidnight In The Garden Of Evel Knievel by Giles Smith
Titlemania I: Puns in Titles
140th out of 266 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
Nov 02, 2011 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amanda by: Gary Dicken
My second visit to Aberystwyth, after Aberystwyth Mon Amour, and it was even better than the first. Finished the book today and have already begun the next one.

It is just as fast-paced, the type of book that you pick up intending to read a few pages and end up reading a hundred before you realize it. Pryce's writing is darkly funny and endlessly inventive, yet also highly philosophical in parts,and spot on about it. The understated surreal element to the novels turns these noir gumshoe stories
Aphie
Odd little noir fiction piece set in an alternate reality Wales (why do the oddest books always come from Wales, to be set in alternate realities?)
Sam Spade with druids, talking ventriloquist's dummies and prostitutes with hearts of gold. Good to know some old tropes don't change. :p
Jam
Jun 07, 2007 Jam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with a dark sense of humour and a love of pastiche
Twisted detective noir set in a dark version of Aberystwuth, still dealing with the ramifications of Meals on Whales taking over the underworld from the druids. Cannibalism, murder and revenge are only the start.

Definitely a good book, if not one I've felt a particular desire to reread. For me, the style was spot on, the twisted nature was good, but all that was so strong the characters, even the narrator, felt secondary to it.
John Carter McKnight
Definitely a sequel to _Aberystwyth Mon Amour_, building out characters, plotlines and the world from his first novel. Even funnier than the first, meticulously plotted, rich with detail, and compelling.

Pryce's touch for the absurd hasn't abated: the Druids are fighting it out with Meals on Wheels for control of organized crime; an off-season circus is a gulag for white collar workers who've given it all up to be clowns; toffee-box photos of girls in stovepipe hats are a mainstay of the local po
Shanti
The second book in Malcolm Pryce's Aberystwyth series. Pryce has essentially created his own genre (Welsh noir) and has a great time playing with the conventions and expectations of the noir genre, with plenty of plot twists, gags, and girls in stovepipe hats... and not much else. I enjoyed Aberystwyth, Mon AmourAberystwyth Mon Amour more, but this one is still a fun read. I think I would have preferred it if Pryce hadn't brought back so many of the characters from the first novel (clearly he wi ...more
Jacob Chinchen
So the first one didn't really grab me. The second one is much better. It's still not the levels of hilarity promised by all the quotes on the front and back covers, but it's reasonably entertaining. I do hope, though, that the recurring villains aren't too recurring because they're already starting to outstay their welcome a little bit.
Kim
I enjoyed this second book in the series and can understand the cult following however for me the books can appear to conform to some of the Welsh stereotypes which the country has been trying to shed over the past few years. There is a hint of mockery at Welsh culture which, though stated with fondness and humour only assists in perpetuating the sense of otherness of the Welsh. Won't be reading the next in the series.
Craigb
The second book in Malcolm Pryce's Aberystwyth series takes place three years on from "Mon Amour". This time Louie Knight has the task of tracking down a missing university Dean and, in the course of events, gets himself tangled up with a Druid assassin and his missing suitcase, toffee apple dens, ventriloquists and "What the Butler Saw" movies.

Although it is not essential, I would recommend you read "Mon Amour" first to get a flavour of who the main characters are. There are also plenty of new
Brian Clegg
There is lunacy in Malcolm Pryce's noir detective books set in Aberystwyth - but it is lunacy of such genius that it is impossible not to go along with it. Here we have druids taking the place of mobsters, good time girls in traditional Welsh costume and an icecream seller who plays the role of the barman in the traditional hardbitten detective fiction.

The plot is totally bonkers... and yet it works. It is worth reading the books in order to get some background, but this is a worthy follow up to
Trelawn
Louie's latest case, a missing dean, didn't interest me much and I very nearly wrote the book off at an early stage. so glad I didn't. This book has so many twists and turns and nothing is as at it seems. I raced through the last 40 pages to see how it would unfold and I wasn't disappointed.
Jordan Forster
Louie Knight returns in the second book of Malcolm Pryce's Aberystwyth series. Three years on from the events at the climax of Aberystwyth Mon Armour, Knight is charged with tracking down a missing university professor, who has got himself into a bit of bother with the Druids.

It is more of the same from Pryce: all the traditions of mores of Chandler's LA, but with the Monty Python twist, and set in West Wales. There are plenty of new characters who jump off the page, as well as a return of the s
Ronald Schoedel
This was a fun read. Even if you're not familiar with Wales, the make-believe version of Aberystwyth here is so over the top it makes you wonder what could be next. It's like Monty Python meets a crime noir novel. The seedy underworld of Aberystwyth is run by druid gangsters, whose ladies of the night ply their trade along the Prom, dressed in 18th century Welsh national dress of black shawls and stovepipe hats. Can't wait to read the rest of the series. This is the second novel, but since it do ...more
Richard Staines
Better than the 1st one. Enjoyable if you like crazy stuff as I do.
Steve M
Absurdist Aberystwyth adventures with a warm philosophical edge. Pure entertainment!
Thomas Hale
After the great fun that the first Aberystwyth noir novel was, this was pretty disappointing. I think after the initial novelty has worn off, I'm not that big a fan of Pryce's writing, or perhaps it was just that the characters and mystery in this one never really grabbed me. There are a handful of great gags, and a couple of scenes (such as when Louie walks in on Jubal faking a suicide attempt) stuck with me, but for the most part I was underwhelmed.
Teresa
If you enjoy the stories about Phillip Marlowe, or any other of the "noir" detective novels then you'll probably enjoy this series. I think this would be difficult to follow this story if you haven't already read Aberystwyth Mon Amour as so many references hark back to the events in the first novel but it's well worth reading. I loved all the references to Welsh culture but Aberystwyth is never going to look the same again.
Isabel
The follow-up to "Aberystwyth Mon Amour".

Pretty girls from the farms beyond Talybont come to Aber to make their fortune modelling for the pictures on boxes of fudge, but end up acting in the 'what the butler saw' films and practising the oldest profession in the Druid speakeasies in the bed-and-breakfast ghetto, while the veterans of the Patagonian campaign are still haunted by their experiences in Wales' Vietnam.
Richard Thomas
A great fanatastical read
Malcolm Cameron
Utterly fabulous, I'm on the fifth book of the 6 Aberystwyth Loius Knight Stories and would truly recommend them, it's been years since I read books where the inventivness and brilliance of the language took my breath away. I reread whole passages because I was stunned by the use of English. Massively underrated master, with a sense of the absurd that is extraordinary. Absolutely Priceless!
Stephen
dark and funny and its like dick tracey on the mean streets of aberystwyth but really enjoyed the adventures of louie knight searching for the dean who has gone missing and louie hired to find him as he go on the clown ghetto and mets custard pie the evil clown but well woth reading if you like tongue in cheek humour with a undertone of a detective story
Miki
I picked this up in a used bookstore a few years ago, not realizing it was the second in a series. It's a fun read - a send-up of noir detective stories. I think I missed some of the jokes from not having read the first, but it was still quite enjoyable. Memorable characters, and enough action as well as silliness to keep you turning pages.
Steph
I wish I had read them in order because I didn't quite get the flavour of this book until about half way through. It is oddly dark and completely fantastical. I will certainly try and read the rest at some point even if just to provide a bit more clarity on who the characters all were. Nonetheless an interesting book to read.
Greg
Malcolm Pryce is able to mix a positively silly noir satire with some absolutely cunning insight into the human condition that is rare to see in more serious fiction, or indeed in non-fiction. This second book of the Louie Knight series is a joy to read if you enjoy noir books or films with a lighthearted twist.
Sarah Churchill
A private detective story filled with puns, cliches and in-jokes from Wales. Yet, somehow, Pryce makes you look past the sillyness and it jut becomes a part of the story.

An easy-read, though I think you really need to know a little about Wales to appreciate half of it.
Paul
Noir fiction set in the streets of a Welsh seaside town. Yes, it really is as silly as it sounds and it's a joke that Malcolm Pryce has successfully stretched over at least three books. I will certainly be watching out for the next Louie Knight mystery.
Malcolm
Pryce's parodic noir tales of Aberystwyth continue and Louie Knight, our hero and the town's only private eye, struggles with the nefarious world of organised crime, Druid conspiracies, and a megalomanical genius.
Phillip
The dark moments are made all the darker by the comic overall tone, the prisoner taming little birds and then gouging their eyes out for examole came as a shock.
Rob
Gave up.......as amusing as it was, I needed to have read the book before it. Lots of scenes didn't make sense. Perhaps I'll get the first one and revisit this
Gwen
Another joyous 'gum shoe' parody from Pryce. The oddness seems to escalate here in a League of Gentleman kind of way. Pick up, read, chuckle and enjoy.
Harry Tomos
Enjoyed reading this it's littered with facts in amongst the fiction and littered with 30's noir in amongst the welsh hillsides. Very easy to read.
  • The Brentford Chain-Store Massacre
  • Game Over (Bill Slider, #11)
  • Stettin Station (John Russell, #3)
  • The Perilous Prophecy of Guard and Goddess (Strangely Beautiful, #3)
  • Dead Funny: Flying Dutch and Faust Among Equals
  • The Singing Fire: A Novel
  • Poetry, Tales and Selected Essays
  • Rosie's War
  • Potatoes, Come Forth!
  • Dangerous Love
  • Disco For The Departed (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #3)
  • Passenger 13 (Ben Hope, #0.5)
  • The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1)
  • Something Borrowed (Brenda & Effie Mystery #2)
  • The Eleven Million Mile High Dancer
  • Tank Girl Armadillo!: A Novel
Malcolm Pryce is a British author, mostly known for his noir detective novels.

Born in Shrewsbury, England, Pryce moved at the age of nine to Aberystwyth, where he later attended Penglais Comprehensive School before leaving to do some travelling. After working in a variety of jobs. including BMW assembly-line worker in Germany, hotel washer-up, "the world's worst aluminium salesman", and deck hand
More about Malcolm Pryce...

Aberystwyth Noir (6 books)
  • Aberystwyth Mon Amour (Aberystwyth Noir, #1)
  • The Unbearable Lightness Of Being In Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #3)
  • Don't Cry For Me Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #4)
  • From Aberystwyth with Love (Aberystwyth Noir, #5)
  • The Day Aberystwyth Stood Still (Aberystwyth Noir, #6)
Aberystwyth Mon Amour (Aberystwyth Noir, #1) The Unbearable Lightness Of Being In Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #3) Don't Cry For Me Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #4) From Aberystwyth with Love (Aberystwyth Noir, #5) The Day Aberystwyth Stood Still (Aberystwyth Noir, #6)

“It was partly the buzz you get at any big fight but also there was the build-up of static brought on by the rustling of pacamacs, and which had on occasion, so they said, given rise to the appearance of ball-lightning at these events.” 1 likes