Nobody True

Nobody True

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,253 ratings  ·  63 reviews
James True was not there when he died.

He returned from an out-of-body experience to find that he'd been murdered and mutilated. He had no body to go back to.

But who murdered him? The serial killer terrorizing the city--or someone closer? True had no enemies, at least none that he knew of.

To discover the truth, James True must track down his killer. The initial horror of T...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by Tor Books (first published 2003)

The Fog by James HerbertThe Rats by James HerbertLair by James HerbertThe Dark by James Herbert48 by James Herbert
The best of James Herbert
13th out of 24 books — 18 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
310th out of 1,034 books — 3,292 voters

More lists with this book...

Bandit
On a quest to read Herbert, came across this one at the library. This is a good book of his to borrow from the library instead of buying, since it's not really his best. It's an interesting premise (a person away on an Out Of Body Experience OBE comes back to find his body brutally murdered and has to find out what happened), sympathetic narrator, plenty of twists that make the book's name so appropriate and even a moral. Just something about it didn't sing for me the way some of his other books...more
Justin Green
James True has always had the ability to leave his own body.
It's a skill that gets better with practice just like any other, and despite early reservations and inefficiency toward this latent ability, True begins to accept it and hone it, though it's always in the background of his life.
Because he's a successful man.
A partner in a thriving advertising company, he's happily married with a beautiful daughter. Much of his energy is directed into his business and his personal life, this is until...more
Lngway2go
Unfortunately I was just never engaged... The murder of the body of a man who is having an out of body experience was an interesting idea, but it quickly became apparent that this was just going to get frustrating - lots of can't do this, can't touch that. Things get interesting towards the end as the tension builds for the finale, but it's too late to recapture what Herbert is normally good at. Hate to say it, but this was a pretty boring read.
Denise Allen
I have been a James Herbert fan for years and loved this most unusual book. He has an easy-to-read style of writing and always makes good use of his excellent imagination. I was afraid that the subject matter would pall but it steadily increased my interest until I could not put it aside for any length of time. It left me with much to think about. Brilliant book and excellent writing.
Gaynor Powell
this has got to be up there in the top five best books i've ever read it is awesome,brilliant i could not put it down.
very weird but oh so possible if you believe,read it if you get the chance.
Marissa Farrar
Nobody True:

Jim True wasn’t there when he died. While he was ‘away’ on an out-of-body experience (something he has been able to do since he was a child) someone murders him. They chop his body into little pieces so he has nothing to come back to. In the days, weeks, and months that follow Jim True finds out things about his life he wishes he had never known. And in that time he tries to discover exactly who killed him – was it the serial killer who is terrorising the city, or was it someone much...more
Billy
Nobody True - more like Nothing New.
One of Herbert's worst books, a copycat of Body Rides by Laymon with a bit of OBE real-case cliched stuff thrown in. I've been a fan of his for some time, but this book confirmed my suspicion that he's losing it. The book is about an ad exec who, once murdered, comes back as a ghost because he's been astrally projecting in his youth. The book is divided, slow and cliched to start, then fast and almost-Herbert towards the end, just before Herbert decides to go...more
Ryan
Went to the library to track down 'The Spear' by James Herbert, after just seeing an episode of 'Da Vinci's Demons' on pay-tv. (Both the novel and the tv show are about the Spear of Destiny that pierced Christ's side while he hung on the cross.) As it is with libraries, they had every novel but the one I wanted, so I borrowed 'Nobody True' in it's stead... then... do-do-do-do... I found out that Herbert had died in March - spooky - I was reading a novel about a character whose body was killed wh...more
Jake

Herbert's cleverly titled, Nobody True, had a premise that promised an etherial murder mystery which, unfortunately, the book didn't deliver.

Unlike Herbert's other work, I didn't find NT to be a 'chiller.' While reading I did not feel the usual sense of portent. In fact, I was rather bored. If I wasn't a Herbert fan, I'd probably have put the book down as the story didn't grab me until about half way through the book. In fact, I actually found the writing condescending as Herbert insisted on hol...more
Caroline
Written in first person, the narrator, James True, is dead. During life he was capable of undertaking out of body experiences, all beyond his control. It first happened when he was seriously injured in an accident, then it happened when he slept, then it was if he day-dreamed. At age thirty-two, he left his body one night after a particularly stressful work-day and when he returned he had no body to go back to. It had been mutilated beyond recognition. So why wasn’t he dead?
Turns out poor James...more
Sam
'He wasn't there when he died' And so starts an enjoyable and graphic murder mystery that follows James True as he tries to figure out who killed him and why. The situation is made more intriguing as True was in the middle of an Out of Body Experience (OBE) at the time of his murder and so is stuck in a kind of limbo with no clue as to what he is or where he is. Although slow to start this is an entertaining and at times graphic read that tries to balance all the different sides to a mildly comp...more
Jill Manske
This is one bizarre book! The lead character has a history of OBE's (out of body experiences) and happens to be in the middle of one, in a different part of London than his body, when his body is brutally murdered. He has to figure out who killed him and protect others from being killed, all the while in an altered ghost-like state. If it sounds wacky, you're right. I know Herbert is one of the top thriller writers in Great Britain. But this particular book just didn't engage me at all. Even the...more
Andrea
Nov 20, 2007 Andrea rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: those who like thrillers / horror
Shelves: bookcrossing
It's not quite a horror novel, but I think you have to lik the horror genre to like Nobody True.

Short synopsis: Our protagonist can astral project (out of body experiences), and one night when he's out 'travelling', he's murdered. Was it a serial killer, or someone far more sinister?

I really enjoyed The Fog, which was why I picked this up at the Edinburgh BookCrossing meetup this month. I finished it in about two days, reading at bedtime. I thought it was told really well, giving me a good idea...more
Jessica
This is my first experience reading a crime thriller by the fantastically through provoking and intense novelist 'James Hebert'.
I must admit , this novel was rather disturbing in content and defiantly not what I was initially expecting. There are a few scenes which will defiantly be difficult to forget due to the severity of the situation. There is also a extremely intriguing and shocking plot twist towards the end of the novel. I would not however recommend this book to anyone under the age of...more
Gail
One of the more unusual premises for a book which kept my interest and made me want to see what the heck happened next.

Really good book- try it if you lke murder=type mysteries like James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, etc.

SPOILER ALERT

I figured out the main character( yes, the main character died and in a manner most cruel- wow the British-speak slipped in there) but never figured the serial killer for a female. I liked how the MC empathized and felt sorry for the murderer.
A.F. McKeating
Nice, easy reading style. I liked the plotting and suspense element. I also found the scenes where Jim True is watching his family, including his daughter, particuarly moving as he comes to term with his predicament.

This was my first James Herbert and I was pleasantly surprised. Some of the earlier books were too gory for my taste and, unfortunately, I let that put me off. Wish I hadn't now as I really enjoyed this. There are more on my 'to read' list...

Fab
Aug 07, 2011 Fab added it
The book was well written and was an interesting subject.

However I almost stopped reading it a few times (which I hate doing), some of the imagery was quite sickening. There weren't as many twists as I would have liked and the couple that I felt there were didn't really make an impact.

I wouldn't recommend this book but James Herbert has many other great books.
Tamara Bennett
I really enjoyed this different & interesting concept - the narrator of the story was born w/ the ability of having out-of-body experiences (OBEs). During an OBE, he is murdered. His experiences of attempting to understand his new 'life after death' & his progression as an emotional being was quite fascinating. A mystery that read a bit like an autobiography.
Penny Taylor-jones
This is not usually the sort of book I would normally read, James Herbert is known for writing horror type books. I was interested due to it being about an OBE (out of body experience) of a man who is murdered while on an OBE. Very detailed, some graphic and disturbing descriptions of events. All in all at page turner right to the end!
Anne A
Interesting story, out of body experience,James True wasn't in his body when he dies.Interesting premise.Very graphic descriptions.It took me longer than normal to read.I plan to re read it in the future.If you're into murders you may like it.I found it a bit long,in reference to the villian, the end was surprising.
Jane Walker
What makes James Herbert a very good second-rate writer? His faults are evident in this book. It's too long by about a third. He doesn't have the economy of words which a great writer always has. And he dwells lovingly on the blood and violence, in a way that someone like Stephen King doesn't need to.
Stephanie Murie
Really really enjoyed this. A bit different from your average crime thriller but it made a refreshing change. I'm not a James Herbert fan (I've discovered since) but this was my first outing of his and I enjoyed it. I think about it fairly often which is a sign of a good read.

Emma Clapperton
Has the shock factor and the ability to scare the living daylights out of you. I thought this is one of his best along with The Ghosts of Sleath. I was sad with the ending however, but in a good way. It is a fabulously well written book which I would and have recommended to many.
Tracy Smith
an excellent read. definately one of his best.

A must read for any one who like, mystery/thriller/horror books.

Took a while to get going, but after half way got to that "cant put it down" point that you always hope for in a book but dont always get.

Very enjoyable.
Dilys
To return from an out of body experience to find you have been brutally murdered & there is nowhere for you to go back to is a big problem so you end up wandering in limbo. James Herbert is one of my favourite horror authors & of the ones i,ve read this is so far the best.
Kelly Florentia
This book was recommended by a friend. I don't usually read horror but I really did enjoy this. A really good, gripping storyline. Great characters with lots of depth. The OBE was explained in great detail, which I found quite fascinating. A great read.
Brian
Nobody True is definitely an interesting story, but I believe that the book would have been better served had Herbert left out the long-winded beginning, as well as the multiple digressions at the end that just seemed to go on and on forever.
Steve Schlutow
I did not care for this book to much.. I guess I just do not follow the OBE thing.. In the book defense I started this book knowing about the OBE, thus I might not have given it a chance.. The only reason I read it was the author..
Norvus
Herbert had an original premise, and did a good job with it. The ending however was lame, involving the fallacy of the talking bad guy and an unnecessary and nonsensical revelation. Out of 10, this book gets a six.
Karen Jeffery
The premise of the book drew me in - what happens if whilst you have an 'out of body experience' your mortal body is murdered... I really enjoyed this dark tale and think it would make a great movie.
  • Quake
  • Relics
  • The House That Jack Built
  • Old Flames
James Herbert was Britain's number one bestselling writer (a position he held ever since publication of his first novel) and one of the world's top writers of thriller/horror fiction.

He was one of our greatest popular novelists, whose books are sold in thirty-three other languages, including Russian and Chinese. Widely imitated and hugely influential, his nineteen novels have sold more than forty...more
More about James Herbert...
The Fog The Rats (Rats, #1) The Dark The Secret Of Crickley Hall Haunted (David Ash, #1)