Start by marking “Snowed In” as Want to Read:
Snowed In

Snowed In

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  4,261 Ratings  ·  203 Reviews

Well, apparently I live here now—my mom just bought the place. And named it after me, Ashleigh, which was nice. But did she know how cold it is here??

Um, it's a tiny island with not much to do, unless you really like sleigh rides. But I gotta say there are quite a few hot guys on this cold island . . .

Mass Market Paperback, 261 pages
Published November 27th 2007 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Snowed In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowed In

Sovanratana
Jul 02, 2016 Sovanratana rated it liked it
A perfect and awesome Christmas read.
Sarah Louise
I think my craving for Christmas stories is blinding my judgment towards books. Take away the snowy atmosphere, Snowed In is pure romantic fluff that features quite immature characters and relationships. But for some reason, I absolutely loved it.

Ashleigh Sneaux and Josh Wynter.

First of all, those names just make me happy.

Ashleigh and her mother decide to embark on a new chapter in their lives by moving up North to a little island where they will run a bed and breakfast. This island was so quai
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

How would you like to move from Texas, where an ice storm is a major news story, to a remote island in the Great Lakes that has no cars, but does have store signs that say "Return after the first thaw"? And to find out that the junior class will have a mere six students when the winter break is over?

Ashleigh's parents are recently divorced, and to make a clean start, Ashleigh and her mother have moved to a small island to open a bed and breakfast named Cha
Stephen
Jan 14, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it
A perfect vacation read. A light hearted romance set in the winter on lonely Mackinac Island.

I became intrigued by this when I read that it was set on Mackinac Island. I went there once on vacation as a child with my parents and my brothers. It's a beautiful locale and very remote. And the no-cars rule adds a historic feel to the island that's quite unusual.

Of course my most vivid memory of that particular vacation was on the mainland, with my dad driving from gas station to gas station looking
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
If you’re looking for the perfect read to curl up by the fire with this winter, Snowed In is the perfect book for you! This wintry book takes place on a perfect island and the main character is so sweet. This book is so cute and pretty short.

Snowed In is short and sweet, what I would consider pure fluff. This story is about a girl who moves to a small island with her mom and the adventures she has along the way. There are plenty of cheesy moments in the book, but they actually work well with the
Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts)
May 12, 2012 Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Who wouldn't like to experience snow?

As a girl who lived on a tropical island all her life, I really do love to experience it even a bit besides I'm the type of person who is fond of the cold season. I wanted to cuddle on my bed and comforter, read books and drink hot chocolate, So, this book is definitely fun fun fun read for me.

Ashleigh's parents are recently divorced, and to make a clean start, she and her mother moved to a small island and decided to open a bed and breakfast. Then she met N
Katie W
Nov 30, 2011 Katie W rated it liked it
A light, fluffy, teen, wintery read. Ashleigh's dad is getting remarried, so her mom moves her from Texas to a small island in the Great Lakes area to open a bed and breakfast--at the beginning of winter! Faced with the fears of a small high school and an even smaller dating pool, Ashleigh learns to accept the town and makes friends--and falls for their handyman--but he's taken. Like I said, cute, fluffy story--like hot chocolate with whipped cream.

Content: a small handful of swear words; guy an
Elusive
Nov 19, 2014 Elusive rated it liked it
Shelves: review
‘Snowed In’ was a surprisingly engrossing book. Hawthorne writes in such a way where the story flows smoothly and you find yourself turning the pages despite the fact that the story is of the generic type. Since Ashleigh Sneaux’s (pronounced ‘snow’ and yeah it’s silly – it’s easier to spell it as ‘snow’) father is going to remarry, she and her mum move to a little island and decide to open a bed and breakfast place.

As much as it was a delightfully pleasant read, it really had no depth and it was
Heather
Nov 18, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Last week I asked by bookish friends on Twitter for recommendations of some good Christmasy/ winter set YA books and Snowed In came highly suggested. Gotta say this was a fun read. I think I may have found a new favorite author in Rachel Hawthorne!

Ashleigh and her mother have just moved from scorching hot Texas to a tiny remote island in the Midwest where there is no motorized transportation and the local scene is tight knit. The homes are historic Victorian cottages complete with turrets, one
Samantha
Oct 07, 2012 Samantha rated it it was amazing
I really loved Rachel Hawthorne's "Snowed In" -- pretty much as much as I have loved all her other books so far. The characters are perfect -- not in the "omg he's a model-rocket-scientist-who-loves-orphans" kind of way. More like they seem real.

Ms Hawthorne uses amazing timing and the sequence of events is realistic. There are so many YA books out now that I read and think "As a teenager, would I actually do/say/think that?" but with Snowed In (and pretty much every other Rachel Hawthorne book
Geli
May 06, 2012 Geli rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, romance, michigan
I've been a fan of Rachel Hawthrone since Caribbean Cruising, so I figured Snowed In would be just as awesome. But I was sadly wrong. Within the first chapter I was immediately thought "Is she going to keep asking herself the same questions for the whole duration of the book?" It was just broader line annoying with so much of her self doubt. And theres all the characters "need" for a boyfriend. I understand that most girls do think that they arent defined unless they are in a relationship but it ...more
Brianna
Jan 03, 2013 Brianna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: favorites, holiday
Susan
Jan 04, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This young adult book was a fast, fun read. Perfect way to spend a snowy day, which is when I read it :)

I am well past this first love, first date stuff so for me this was a fluff read but a great way to unwind. This is the 2nd Rachel Hawthorne book I've read so will be looking for the others to keep handy when real-life gets to be too much.
Jessica
Aug 15, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
Not usually what I would read, but it was fine for a quick December read. I like that Nathalie and Chase were not made into shallow catty villains. I like that it's set on Mackinac Island, where Somewhere in Time was filmed.
Jessica
So cute :) And I love how - when it comes to Hawthorne's books - you can never tell a thing about the story you're about to get into by the synopsis. :)
 ♥♥Mari♥♥
This novel is definitely a cozy Christmas read! Since it's a YA romance, it's full of the typical teen angst regarding relationships. Some adults might not even bother with it, as it's a light, fluffy read. I greatly enjoyed it! The book has certainly made me nostalgic for those high school days in which not being asked out was a major tragedy, and the desire to fit in and be accepted was of the greatest importance.

The main character in this story, who has the rather unusual and comical name of
Mehsi
I am really starting to love this author, she makes some pretty swoon-worthy and delicious books.

4.5 stars.

This one is my second book from this author, and this time instead of an island with sun, we are at an island covered in snow and cold. And it is shut off from the main land during the winter, which, as the main character likes to tell us, is a perfect horror setting. Yes, our main character loves horror.

I loved the setting, and I can imagine the mom moved away from Texas. Divorcing your hu
Jessica-Robyn
Continuing on my Christmas Spirit Reading ADVENTURE! I figured I should dive into a good old fashion, winter wonderland. Snowed In seemed like a perfect YA pick for the holiday season and mother nature decided to help me out with the atmosphere by giving me my own snow storm to cuddle up and read in.

My expectations for Snowed In were pretty low. In the first couple chapters the writing felt stinted, like it was being simplified to suit the young audience. Although I love YA romance, when books
Erika
Feb 25, 2013 Erika rated it liked it
These books are my guilty pleasure. They're short, sweet, and mindlessly simple. With all the other reading I have to do for class, I just needed an escape that wouldn't steal too much of my attention (uhhhh sorry Sarah Dessen, but I'm putting your books off until the summer when I can give you more of my time).
Like all of Rachel Hawthorne's books, this one was predictable, and had dialogue that I couldn't help but laugh at. Basically, you can tell it was written by an older woman who knows litt
Lauren R.
Really cute winter book. I'll warn that there was kind of a weird love square in this one, but it was done decently well. I LOVED the setting on the island and the B&B. I wish this was a series, to be honest, because so much more could be done with that general plotline. It was kind of cheesy and I had the whole book figured out about a third of the way through, but it was an easy read that I would recommend.
Hillary
2.5 but it pains me to rate a book a 2 if I got some fluff enjoyment out of it, so 3 it is. Overall a fun, light and fluffy book with a hint of annoying at points with the mc's adamant refusal of specifics that you know she is going to cave in to. Almost distressingly predictable, but it had it's shining moments of cuteness to make up for it...sorta.
Beth
Mar 11, 2016 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
This book was like a big bag of candy. You just keep going and going and you can't stop and then you get to the end and your teeth hurt because you knew it would be so sweet, and you are kind of upset that you let yourself eat all that candy but let's be honest, you enjoyed yourself, and you'll do it again in a couple weeks.
Jasmine
Nov 21, 2011 Jasmine rated it liked it
This is a book about a typical teenagers life. It's about a teenage girl named Ashleigh who has to move to a small island with tons of snow. She meets new people and also falls in love. I would recommend this to people who like to read books about teenage love stories.
Amy
Cute book. Very ya though. Set on Mackinac Island, that was fun.
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Romance in this book was sweet.
Nica Zomerdijk
Hmmm I thought this would be an amazing christmas read, but it wasn't about christmas at all.

I liked it because it is such a cute story and the characters are fun. I didn't like Nathalie (she was very annoying) but the main character is SO ME. I loved her. The book is about love, winter, getting to know people etc, but it was kinda childish how the storyline went... I don't recommend this if you're allergic to insta-love and mean girls and such.

Oh and the writing style is awesome. Rachel is ve
Whitney Harris
Jan 08, 2017 Whitney Harris rated it liked it
A little bland for my taste. Definitely a cute premise, but overall it was a quick read, but not in a completely good way. I wanted to love the characters but we didn't really get to know them as much as I would have liked and I guess that's why I didn't connect with the book very well.
Cait S
Dec 04, 2016 Cait S rated it it was ok
Pros: It's short.

Cons: Everything else.
Stephanie
2.5. Cute quick light read.
Licy
  • Lovestruck Summer
  • Sleepless
  • Ex-mas
  • Killer Cruise
  • Party Games (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Kissing Snowflakes
  • Major Crush
  • Love Undercover (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Animal Attraction
  • Drive Me Crazy
  • Puppy Love
aka Jade Parker and also writes with her son as J.A. London
(also writes romance under Lorraine Heath)

Rachel Hawthorne, who also writes as Lorraine Heath and Jade Parker, is the daughter of a British beauty (her mother won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor during which she received a kiss from Caesar Romero-who played the Joker on the old Batman TV series) and a Texan who wa
More about Rachel Hawthorne...

“You've been avoiding me," he said, talking to the sandwich.

I laughed. He looked over at me. "Sorry. I just realized that you talk to a lot of inanimate objects.”
20 likes
“He finally cleared his throat. "Well, huh."
"Yeah," I said. "What now?"
"Well"—he cleared his throat again—"I guess you and I go. I mean, unless you really don't want to."
Why put it on me to bail out?
"Do you want to?" I asked.
"Yeah. I really do. I had to talk Dad into giving me the afternoon off. And since I don't usually go to a lot of trouble to fix lunch, it seems a shame to waste the effort. Besides, there's the thing I want you to see."
He said all of this while staring at the door like he was talking to it. I almost expected it to respond.”
11 likes