Start by marking “Snowed In” as Want to Read:
Snowed In

Snowed In

No job. No heat. The wrong shoes. The wrong clothes. Discover if true love can be far behind.

Imagine having always lived in Washington, D.C., and suddenly being stuck in Portland, Maine, for a year. With the pipes freezing---inside the house. And a husband who seems to have his eye on a hiking-booted L.L.Bean femme fatale rather than you. Not to mention the mother-in-law f
Published October 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published November 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Snowed In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowed In

Aod
Feb 26, 2008 Aod rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reading
This is my favorite Christina Bartolomeo book.
What has she been up to? I wish that she would write another one.

Carrie
Dec 10, 2007 Carrie rated it it was ok
This was an entertaining enough read. One of the reviews on the back of the book compares it to the Bridget Jones series. I can see why one would draw this comparison, but the two Bridget Jones books are far funnier than "Snowed In." Almost every page of both Bridget Jones novels made me laugh out loud, while this book offered far fewer smartly funny moments.

Being a New Englander, I did find it amusing to witness the protagonist's issues with winter in Maine, as compared to the climate of Washi
Tatiana
Jan 17, 2011 Tatiana rated it it was amazing
So I picked this book up about two years ago and fell in love with it. I admit that Sophie Quinn seemed a tad too timid for my taste, but she did have a bit of spunk and she definitely grows throughout the book. All she really needed was a nudge from life itself.

I love this book for so many reasons- which for me is really weird -because this book does indeed move slowly and drag but I think in a way, the slow and cold quietness of the story helps you understand Sophie a little more. Her days do
Jane
Jan 23, 2011 Jane rated it it was ok
It was a cold, windy, snowy day when I sat by the fire with my cup of tea and this book appropriately titled "Snowed In". What could be better? Well, the book could have been better.

Sophie and Paul have moved to Maine for a year for Paul's job. Sophie is a free-lance graphic designer and greeting card artist that works from home. So she doesn't get out much. She's cold and lonely and suspects Paul is getting way too attached to his office assistant. She decides to join a walking club in order to
Michaela Osiecki
Jan 25, 2016 Michaela Osiecki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: guilty-pleasures
I picked this up at the library around the holidays for a light and Christmasy read, and instead I found myself reading about a situation and woman that I felt very connected to. Sophie struck me as someone who suffered from generalized anxiety and was most definitely an introvert - her work from home scheme kept her away from most people and she was too fearful to drive - much like myself.

It was especially fascinating to watch her relationship with her new husband slowly unravel and the new fri
Jun-E
Aug 10, 2016 Jun-E rated it liked it
I quite liked it, but I must admit that I skipped through some of the dialogues because they seemed irrelevant to the storyline. For that I cannot give a higher rating than 3 stars.

I thought that the story was good, about how the main character regains her confidence and confronts life and men who do not respect her. It has some elements of romance in there, though it's more about self development than falling head over heels over one man or another. I thought the voice of the author was quite
Elizabeth
Oct 07, 2013 Elizabeth rated it liked it
A solid, entertaining, but ultimately forgettable tale of a timid young woman named Sophie Quinn. Newly married, Sophie finds herself spending a long, cold winter in Portland, Maine due to her husband's new job. These months bring marital discord, the return of past loves, and new friendships that help to clarify her feelings and develop the strength and resilience she's always lacked. While the ending felt a bit messy, the book held my attention throughout, and Bartolomeo's dry wit made me laug ...more
Mimi Fintel
Mar 01, 2014 Mimi Fintel rated it it was amazing
Sophie had always lived in Washington, D.C. when suddenly her husband uprooted them to Portland, Maine for a year for a work project. Not only did Sophie suddenly have to deal with cold and snow but also with her suspicions that her husband was more than just friends with the domestic and highly perky woman at work. Things aren't all bad for Sophie in Maine though. She makes some friends, learns some things about herself and makes major changes in her life. This book was a fun read and I thoroug ...more
Sally Trabulsi
Sep 22, 2012 Sally Trabulsi rated it liked it
A nice, light little story about a lukewarm marriage not helped by the couple moving from Washington, DC, to a cold apartment in Portland, ME. I thought the author did a wonderful job of characterization, especially the rather stiff and uppity husband and his awful mother. The plot wound through the heroine's making new friends that turned into a lovely support network over the course of a winter in Maine, the possible revival of an unforgettable affair from years before, and having everything t ...more
Cindy
Oct 20, 2010 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-read
I will never think of Portland in the same way after reading this book! Though I never gave much thought to Portland to begin with!!

This book seemed a little slow in spots but I wound up really enjoying it! Sometimes what we have is not what we really need or really should have for our own happiness. That is the message I got from this book.

I recommend this book; I think you'll enjoy it too!
Susan
May 09, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
It's just so nice to read a good chick lit book. And I mean good because it is well-written, with a strong female character (although dear Sophie must go through the whole book to become that SFC) and a really charming setting. This is a book that will appeal to those of us who like our heroines to have believable troubles and who dress like we do.
Allison
Oct 23, 2007 Allison rated it liked it
I picked this book up on a warm afternoon, when I was pining for cold and snow. Not a bad book, and I enjoyed the characters, but it was at times too repetative in the main characters problems. I wanted to hit her on the head and give her some advise. The book also makes me want to be a freelance person. Freelance Civil Engineer anyone? I think I could do my best work in my pajamas.
Alicia
Nov 27, 2011 Alicia rated it really liked it
This poor book is actually quite good, and cursed with a chic-lit cover. I grabbed it at the library thinking I'd get something really light and fluffy for the weekend, and instead got genuine literary fiction. The author isn't quite there yet, but I'll watch for her future books. The plot is somewhat complicated, but it boils down to finding out who you are.
Leandra
Oct 08, 2008 Leandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I've read by this author and I really enjoyed both of them. I don't want to give away any of the plot, but I couldn't put it down because I couldn't wait to see what happened with Sophie and Paul.
Melissa
Jan 28, 2016 Melissa rated it liked it
Satisfying writing and charming ending...but the title is atrocious. Who let that slip by? Great setting- biting descriptions of New Englanders and tough winters- did Portland Maine proud. Main character is hard to like but the brothers who "adopt" her are delightful. Worth your time.
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it really liked it
the characters for the most part were good. the tension between husband/wife and potential marriage threat/secretary wasnt developed as fully as it could have been. the secondary characters were all lovely.
Melissa
Feb 05, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
Liked it, simple read, but just as one other reviewer said, sometimes there was too much description not enough dialogue and I found myself skipping towards the end (especially on new character intros). I could relate to Sophie in many ways.
Krisnic
Aug 27, 2009 Krisnic rated it it was amazing
Loved the way the writer pulled you in.
Jenifer
May 18, 2009 Jenifer rated it it was ok
Not worth the time. Very slow. I felt disatisfied with my marriage (for no reason) after reading this. I hate that.
Lauren Tamraz
Jan 15, 2008 Lauren Tamraz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2006, favorites
really liked this story about a wman who moves to maine with her jerk of a husband...a chick-lit pick, but really enjoyable, also loved the maine setting.
Nela
Dec 17, 2009 Nela rated it really liked it
Really ended up liking this book in the end...thought it dragged a little bit in the beginning and middle.
Ashley
Jan 07, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It's your typical husband strays from wife/ex boyfriend pops up/she finds new love, but it left me with a smile on my face.
Mary
Sep 02, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book. Cute and fun and predictable.
Marilyn
Aug 05, 2008 Marilyn rated it liked it
It was a slow starter, but I liked it. It's about a woman in her 30's that marries the wrong man. She has lots of issues to resolve,ex-boyfriend, mother in law, parents, etc
Stephanie
Apr 01, 2011 Stephanie rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
No depth.
Shonna Froebel
Jan 02, 2014 Shonna Froebel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Nice light read, with good characters and romance
Mia
Aug 21, 2009 Mia rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-books
Slow to start, but a decent enough story once it got going.
Colleen Pence
Feb 02, 2008 Colleen Pence rated it really liked it
Very slow to start, but then I really got into the main character, her quandry and the setting. I could feel the snow crunching under my feet as I strolled through Portland, ME in the dead of winter.
T'Lar Jones
Jun 23, 2007 T'Lar Jones rated it really liked it
I have the hardest time finding chick lit I like, but this book worked for me. I'm not exactly sure why, but it did.
Julie Anton
Oct 23, 2009 Julie Anton rated it really liked it
I really like the main character in this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Windfalls
  • The Diary of an American Au Pair: A Novel
  • The Pearl
  • Spinsters
  • Heart of the City: Nine Stories of Love and Serendipity on the Streets of New York
  • Big Stone Gap / Big Cherry Holler (Big Stone Gap, #1-2)
  • Girl in the Mirror