Start by marking “Clever Gretchen and Other Forgotten Folktales” as Want to Read:
Clever Gretchen and Other Forgotten Folktales

Clever Gretchen and Other Forgotten Folktales

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Sleeping beauties? Not Clever Gretchen or Kate Crackernuts or Manka or any of the other young heroines in this wonderful collection of folktales. Active, witty, brave, and resourceful, these girls and young women can fight and hunt, defeat giants, answer riddles, outwit the Devil, and rescue friends and family from all sorts of dangers and evil spells. These stories and ma ...more
Published April 26th 2005 by iUniverse (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Clever Gretchen and Other Forgotten Folktales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clever Gretchen and Other Forgotten Folktales

Jen
Dec 31, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
I need to buy about ten copies of this book and give one to every female friend I have and all young girls I interact with (cousins, sister, friends' kids).

The stories aren't very long. Some of them are abridged versions of long songs; others are distillations of several tales that have the same themes, motifs, or storylines. All of them feature female characters who are clever, strong, resourceful, and work to get themselves, their families, and helpless princes out of trouble.

These are the st
Jazz
Feb 06, 2013 Jazz rated it really liked it
This collection is a short introduction to lesser known folktales. Lurie's commentary is minimal--all she really does is tell you where the tale comes from. After reading this, I suggest you check out the source the tale comes from. The final tale is "Tomlin" based on the ballad "Tamlin," which is much different experience than the prose version. I'd check this out for the inclusion of Cap O'Rushes alone. Cap O'Rushes is a variant of Cinderella (and similar to King Lear) about a maiden cast out ...more
Doria
Jul 06, 2008 Doria rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book, a terrific collection of what some might call "feminist" folk tales. I.e., stories which feature smart women who solve problems and save princes. I particularly enjoyed the Scandinavian story of the husband and wife who switch their work for a day, and the chaos that ensues as the hapless husband attempts to perform the "simple" tasks which his wife accomplishes on a daily basis. Utterly charming and great fun to read!
Chris
This short and very nice little collection contains stories that have girls doing things. In other words, stories about heroines, not heroes. While the sub-title, forgetton folktales, doesn apply to every tale (I've always loved "Kate Crackernuts"), it does apply to a good portion of the stories.

Many of the stories are Scottish, Russian, or Scandivan in root. A few also sure siblings working together and in fact, feature the older child as heroine. If you have a young girl, I would say track thi
Marge
Jun 16, 2011 Marge rated it it was amazing
Not only is this a beautiful collection of stories, but it is also written beautifully. Every word seems right to me, and that's saying something! I have read some of the stories in other collections, but this one is just pure delight. This was my first "print on demand" book. I just ordered it from Amazon, as ever, but then it was "printed" just for me!
Alison
Mar 19, 2011 Alison rated it really liked it
This is a collection of less well known folk and tales, featuring more active, brave heroines than the prettified Disney-princess type. There are girls defeating giants, outwitting trolls and witches, and rescuing the odd prince along the way. It's a good collection, but it's a shame the illustrations aren't more attractive (to me, anyway).
Sinistmer
Great collection-I have come across some of the stories in other collections and situations and think Lurie has done a fantastic job of maintaining the stories. They are written in an accessible way and just the right length for individuals of all ages.

For those interested, source notes are included.
Elizabeth
Jun 12, 2012 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
I LOVED THIS BOOK! I read it on my own and my daughter and I read it together when she was growing up. It's been a while so I'm going to read it again and list it in my "to read" section. I can't wait to read this fun, glorious, and empowering book again.
Allyson
May 27, 2013 Allyson rated it it was amazing
Yes! I wish I had found a copy of this book at age 8 or 10 or 12. This will be the birthday/Christmas/graduation/whatever gift for any girls I know from now on, no matter their age.
Kelly
Dec 26, 2007 Kelly rated it really liked it
one of my favorite collections of fairytales. like grimm's fairytales only most are ethnic fables/old wives tales
Lia
Apr 09, 2012 Lia rated it it was amazing
Wonderful stories with strong women characters.
Bookyurt
Bookyurt marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Jill Frederickson
Jill Frederickson is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2016
Aisha Anwar
Aisha Anwar marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Siskiyou-Suzy
Siskiyou-Suzy marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Liamay95
Liamay95 marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
JaNel
JaNel rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Gisela Hafezparast
Gisela Hafezparast rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Dmetrius
Dmetrius marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Todd
Todd marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Ignacio Luna
Ignacio Luna marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Carrie Puckette
Carrie Puckette marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Joseph Mccaleb
Joseph Mccaleb rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2015
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
2046
Alison Lurie (b. 1926) is a Pulitzer Prize–winning author of fiction and nonfiction. Born in Chicago and raised in White Plains, New York, she joined the English department at Cornell University in 1970, where she taught courses on children’s literature, among others. Her first novel, Love and Friendship (1962), is a story of romance and deception among the faculty of a snowbound New England colle ...more
More about Alison Lurie...