Start by marking “Dorie: The Girl Nobody Loved” as Want to Read:
Dorie: The Girl Nobody Loved

Dorie: The Girl Nobody Loved

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  499 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
"Someone has said that when you have nothing left but God, you realize that God is enough. God had stood beside me when no one else wanted me. He was not going to abandon me now. God would have to heal the emotional pain that throbbed through my body."

As a child, Dorie was rejected by her mother, sent to live in an orphanage where she was regularly beaten by the orphanage
Published July 26th 1981 by Moody Publishers (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Dorie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dorie

Captivating by John EldredgeUnconditional by Tanya EavensonThe Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomGet Out of That Pit! by Beth MooreMade to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst
Best Christian Women's Books
34th out of 284 books — 262 voters
Bruchko by Bruce OlsonPeace Child by Don RichardsonThrough Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth ElliotGod's Smuggler by Brother AndrewThe Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
Great Missionary Stories
22nd out of 105 books — 98 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul Van buren
Mar 15, 2014 Paul Van buren rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up because I had misplaced the book I was currently reading. I don't even know how it came to be in my bookcase but I am glad it was there. I had no expectations from this book and yet with every turn my heart was broken and then restored. If you have this book and have yet to read it, I encourage you to not be delayed any longer.

Dorie leads us through the many heartbreaks and rejections of her younger years. What was amazing was how she came to meet Jesus and how, despite no
Teresa Holland
Jan 25, 2016 Teresa Holland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very moving story of the abuse suffered by a young girl and how God brings beauty out of the ashes when surrendered to Him.
Linda Callahan
Oct 17, 2014 Linda Callahan rated it it was amazing
This is a good book to read when you want a touching story to read. It will soften your heart.
Debbie Williams
Aug 13, 2015 Debbie Williams rated it really liked it
It was funny how this book ended up at my house. My daughter is named Dorielle but goes by Dorie. She had really never met anyone that had the same name as her. She is very curious and loved to read. One of her school teachers found this book, bought it, and crossed out "Nobody" wrote in "Everybody," and gave it to her. I don't even know if she ever read it, but I had to since it had her name in the title.

It's about the life of Doris Van Stone, who began life in an orphanage, and things wen dow
Tessa
1st Update (8/19/2015): I read this book WAY back in Elementary school and I've TOTALLY forgot all about it until JUST TODAY (on Wednesday August 19th, 2015). Oh my gosh, I loved this! It was the first "Jesus" /spiritual book I ever read--and I loved it. I felt for the main character, angry at the injustice & mistreatment she received majority of her life. My young mind couldn't fathom, could BARELY understand how somebody could be SO unloved... It was terrible! I might have cried a few time ...more
Kimberly
Susan
Mar 18, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Dorie: The Girl Nobody Loved is a book I didn't plan to read. I picked it up at a $2/bag sale at a church a year or so ago (these sales are a total thrill, but that's another post).

So, I read it recently, not expecting too much, but I really enjoyed it. It's the life of Doris Van Stone, who began life in an orphanage, and, believe it or not, things went downhill from there. She was truly a girl that nobody loved.

Thankfully, her life improved as an adult. She got married and became a missionary t
Melody Raines
Apr 09, 2011 Melody Raines rated it it was ok
Dorie has a great story, and I would recommend it for women who have survived child abuse of any kind (verbal, physical, emotional) or for women who have lived in foster homes or orphanages. I'd also recommend it for foster/adoptive parents.

Dorie's story is an example of how short-term volunteers can make a long-term difference in a life that seems doomed and hopeless. However, Dorie's style of storytelling is somewhat outdated. It feels like listening to an elderly lady give a speech--in the 1
Joanna Rast
Jan 06, 2016 Joanna Rast rated it it was ok
The first 10 chapters of this book were really interesting but the last few were a bit boring. I think it would have been better if the author had gone into better detail and expanded upon the stories of her life. It would have made the book longer but it would have been worth it, at least to me.
The struggles of her life were hard to read, as they were devastating, but the hold God had on her was inspiring. This book shows God's love in a wonderful way.
Samia
Apr 29, 2010 Samia rated it liked it
I know what you're thinking...i put a lot of five-stars for my books that i read...but i can't help it! Is it just me, or is every book just so amazing?! I'm so glad that the printing press was invented during the Renaissance (by Johannes Gutenburg) because i don't think i could enjoy life without books! XD

This book was really touching, and it was about this girl named Dorie who nobody loved, and she was abused and hurt when she was a child, until she met someone.

God.

That changed her life forev
BJAbiodun
Apr 26, 2016 BJAbiodun rated it it was amazing
As I read this book, I thought that Dori's life would never amount to anything, but I was wrong. Dorie suffered through multiple challenges and she made it to a marriage with a wonderful man and a life long friendship with another very outstanding and beautiful missionary woman who had also gone through multiple trials of another kind.
Jennifer Jarrell
Jan 20, 2015 Jennifer Jarrell rated it it was amazing
A good read about how a girl overcame being unloved as a child by accepting Jesus Christ as her Savior and later became a missionary in New Guinea. She used her negative experiences to show that God truly does exchange our ashes for beauty...
Clydie
May 15, 2015 Clydie rated it really liked it
Sometimes those of us from good homes forget what others face in this world -- but how refreshing to see a life of terror in the "eyes of Christ" and in His will!
Brianna Schrag
Sep 20, 2012 Brianna Schrag rated it it was amazing
To be honest the book Dorie the girl nobody loved was the best book I’ve ever read. Dorie is so encouraging because she pushes through things even though they are hard. It made me realize that I’m blessed to be loved by my parents. When her father told her that he didn’t accept her it made my heart sink. She was a very Godly women and though this book she has encouraged me to be more Godly. In 1973 was the day when the biography Dorie the girl nobody loved changed my families lives. It changed m ...more
Krista
Jul 26, 2015 Krista rated it it was amazing
I rate this book 5 stars for the story itself, the writing is actually more like 4 stars.
Ebookwormy
I heard Dorie speak at the Moody Bible Insitute before I bought and read her book. What an inspiring story of hope penetrating the incredible darkness in which she grew up. Orphaned. Abused. Unloved. Yet Jesus pursued her, her husband cherished her, and she now lives a vibrant life, restored, strong, ministering on earth and longing for heaven.

God bless her for sharing such a difficult past and spreading the hope that NO ONE is beyond the Lord's reach.

I would highly recommend this book for those
Kimberly
Jun 25, 2016 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-books-read
Really great story of triumph through a terrible childhood.
Sue
Feb 25, 2012 Sue rated it liked it

Dorie is a true story of a young girl and her sister who are neglected by there mother and later left in an orphanage.Dorie discovers that she can depend upon God to be with her when everybody eles leaves her, this enables her to cope with all that the world presents. As a teenager she gives herself to god saying she will go were ever he wants, this results in her marrying a missionary and living with an unreached tride. The details of her life , mission, and family give us a great portrayal of
Hannah Holland
Feb 20, 2016 Hannah Holland rated it it was amazing
Kim Winters
Aug 28, 2012 Kim Winters rated it really liked it
A true story of abuse and neglect and the ways is which Jesus Christ comforted and redeemed an unthinkably painful situation. The book is an especially encouraging, inspiring and short read for anyone who has felt the sting of abuse, neglect and/or rejection of any kind. Four stars only because the book was written a while ago and so the writing style can take a bit getting used to. Still - highly recommend, especially as it is a true testimony of God's provision in an impossibly dark situation.
April
Jun 22, 2011 April rated it it was amazing
This book hits close to home. For those of you with a sorted past, you'll find that though Dorie's abuse may have been different than yours, the emotions and feelings of "Please, somebody love me." are the same. I have cried. I have laughed. I have gotten goosebumps when I read how the Holy Spirit supernaturally saved the life of her husband multiple times. I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone! But don't read it while in public or people will give you strange glances!
Virginia
Apr 08, 2013 Virginia rated it it was amazing
I read this book recently, not expecting too much, but I really enjoyed it. It's the life of Doris Van Stone, who began life in an orphanage, and things went downhill from there. She was truly a girl that nobody loved.

Thankfully, the Lord transformed her life, she married an amazing man, and they became a missionaries to a primitive tribe in New Guinea.

I gave it a 5 because it was so encouraging, but note that it is not very well written, but still worth the read.
lia
Nov 18, 2012 lia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book literally brought dreams of me going to places in the world sharing God's word.
Dorie is an incredible character that I can learn from and get inspired from.
I think one of the strengths of this book was its connectivity with the bible verses throughout the story.
Great book, however many of my questions throughout this book still remain unanswered.
Janet
Mar 03, 2009 Janet rated it it was amazing
This is a heart wrenching and warming story of a little girl who was abused and abandoned by her mother. She became a christian and ended up married, and a missionary to New Guinea. It is her testimony of her life, and how God brought her from despair to joy. It was very difficult to put down.
Shannon
Jan 01, 2009 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with difficult childhoods, bitterness, missions interest
Enter the heartache of a little girl rejected, a woman rejected, but a woman perfectly and eternally loved by God. Who would have guessed that such a painful childhood would, through the grace of God, lead to pointing others to the restorer of lives?
Kendra
Oct 25, 2010 Kendra rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs
This book was okay, but I felt like she could have gone into so much more detail about her life and her experiences than she did. She had a pretty unique story and I think it would have been a great read if the book had been fleshed out a little bit more.
Jody Sloan
Oct 01, 2012 Jody Sloan rated it it was amazing
I have had this book on my "want to read" list for years and it did not disappoint! Well written and even if it wasn't, Dorie's story is amazing and her story itself made this book hard for me to put it down! Highly recommend this book!
Josue Manriquez
I read this a few years ago, after the author visited my former church and shared her testimony. It's always encouraging, humbling, and God-glorifying hearing/reading about how the Lord drew someone to Himself to be saved.
Liv
Aug 22, 2008 Liv rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sam, Hannah Beth
This book is amazing--I think that God spoke to me through it, and He's deffinately shown me what true love is, and how to accept and handle it. Dorie is the perfect role model for a struggling, answer-searching person.
Vivian
Sep 14, 2010 Vivian rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book on finding love when you think you are unlovable. Dorie was unloved by her parents and spent most off her life in an orphanage. Discovering God's love put her on a path of healing. A must read!
  • Mission Possible: The Story of a Wycliffe Missionary
  • John G. Paton: Missionary to the New Hebrides
  • These Strange Ashes
  • Lillian Trasher: The Greatest Wonder in Egypt
  • Lords of the Earth
  • The Narrow Road: Stories of Those Who Walk This Road Together
  • Things as They Are: Mission Work in Southern India (1905)
  • By Searching: My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith
  • Finding Home: An Imperfect Path to Faith and Family
  • Back to Jerusalem: Three Chinese House Church Leaders Share Their Vision to Complete the Great Commission
  • There's a Sheep in my Bathtub: Birth of a Mongolian Church Planting Movement
  • Passport through Darkness: A True Story of Danger and Second Chances
  • Following Jesus Through the Eye of the Needle: Living Fully, Loving Dangerously
  • Jungle Pilot: The Gripping Story of the Life and Witness of Nate Saint, Martyred Missionary to Ecuador
  • Mountain Rain: A Biography of James O. Fraser: Pioneer Missionary to China