Discovering Pig Magic

Discovering Pig Magic

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Discovering Pig Magic follows the exploits of Mattie (or Miss M, or just M) and her friends Ariel and Nicki as they attempt to overcome the problems that plague their 13-year-old lives. After finding a book of spells, the three girls perform a ritual that will grant each the object of her desire. This requires that they each bury a special object. Ariel buries a tiny antiq...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Milkweed Editions

Elevate Difference
Be ready to be charmed by Julie Crabtree’s Discovering Pig Magic, a delightful coming of age tale centred on the lives of three seventh grade girls. The book is written through the perspective of Mattie (also Miss M or M), who abhors anything to do with pigs, but is not able to disclose this slight piece of information to her loved ones. So they, of course, shower her with pig-themed gifts on her thirteenth birthday – and all birthdays before that. Her bedroom hosts the largest and strangest pig...more
Jean Haberman
The title intrigued me and when I found out that Milkweed Editions published this book I decided to read it. It never grabbed a hold of me, however, I'm not a 13-year-old girl. Maybe it would interest that age group. This is a story about three friends who are not in the popular crowd and try to stay invisible. They each have their own problems…Mattie (or MissM) is from a divorced home with a mom who is depressed and plays video games, Ariel has big breasts and uses Rachel Ray's recipe in a cook...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sarah Bean the Green Bean Teen Queen for TeensReadToo.com

Miss M, Ariel, and Nicki have just entered seventh grade and are learning that being thirteen is a strange feeling. Growing up is never easy, and not only are they changing, but school, family, and friends are changing, too.

Ariel aspires to be the next cooking superstar, Mattie is dealing with divorced parents and a mom who won't leave the house (plus her strange collection of pigs), and Nicki has secrets about her family she...more
Natalie
Have you ever made the mistake of telling someone in your family that you think something is cute or funny, or that you bought one and liked it? Say you were really into butterflies in the 9th grade, now here you are with your first child and you're still getting crap with butterflies on it for every occassion that merits receiving a gift.

I mentioned that I liked sock monkeys once. Over several years, I got a handmade sock momkey, 2 sock monkey kits, sock monkey Christmas tree ornaments, finall...more
couurtneeey *
I'll have to start off saying this book was not what I expected. I read the first chapter and almost gave up on reading it, but I'm glad I didn't. Julie Crabtree started the book off pretty boring. Then it gradually got better and better as I kept reading.
The description of the characters was excellent. She expressed each character with a different emotion. The setting throughout the book wasn't very well described, but that didn't matter much. Julie Crabtree also did a good job mixing emotions...more
Catherine
I think this is a book my female students will like. It is about discovering self and friendships. The mother in the book is struggling with anxiety and depression.

My only problem with the book is how negatively men are portrayed. There is not one good male in this book. While I like strong women characters, they should come at the expense of decent male figures.
Beth
The author made the issues of these three friends real without overdramatizing them or belittling them and I think that's a real gift. I could sympathize with the pig collection having once made the mistake of telling my mother I liked cows. Luckily the rumor didn't spread.

Miss M, as she is known to friends and family, is dealing with her Mom's depression and the problems of her 2 best friends. All three want "something" that will change their lives for the better - hence the attempt at magic. T...more
Addison Children
Matilda's parents have divorced and her mother has become a Mall Tycoon playing agoraphobic. Hoping for an improvement in this and other aspects of 13 year-old life, Miss M, and her two best friends perform a sacrificial ritual (from a yard sale magic book). Things seem much worse afterwards and they argue about whether to undo it.
Gin
This is the coming of age/friendship story of three 13 year old girls. One girl is dealing with her baby brothers illness, another struggles with a lie that she told to win a contest, and the third worries about her mother's declining mental health in the wake of a divorce. Slower plot line but good character development and realistic situations and resolutions. Read-alike for fans of Emma Jean Lazarus and Crooked Kind of Perfect.
Priya
Discovering Pig Magic was a quick, engrossing read. I loved the whole "pig" aspect of the book, as well as the relationship between Mattie, Ariel, and Nicki. The book didn't wrap up very well, but the story made up for it.
Kelly
Teen book, I listened to the audio book and it was most definitely a light 'read'. Nice story of three middle school friends who are worried about things going on in their lives. Family problems, boy problems.
Mackenzy Grisel
it was okay it just really didnt grab my attention! like mrs.neal says: i will never give a book one star becuase the author put their heart and soul into the book and who am i to judge theier heart?
Emily
A light and lovely story about three young girls' lives. The main character faces some difficulties when her mother's depression worsens. She turns to her two close friends for support.
Sheryl
A very cute story of 3 6 grade girls. A great bff story and one that touchs on ideas that meaning young teens have about their affect on their world.
Ariel
that you should trust your friends.. oh and that magic.. well black magic.. (the worst kind of all) is... preeeeeetty frightening. lol
Heather
Filled with sweetness and light fluff, but it's a solid coming of age story for 11-14 year old girls. Easily digested.
Sabrina
Kinda boring at first but really cute story once I got into it! Great little story about friendship :)
C
Great book and the audio version is a cool way to experience the story.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Aramis
Aramis is currently reading it
May 22, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Alicia House
Alicia House marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Diane Olinger buers
Diane Olinger buers marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013