Start by marking “Ghost: Investigating the Other Side” as Want to Read:
Ghost: Investigating the Other Side

Ghost: Investigating the Other Side

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  32 reviews
With the same, open and personal style that won her much praise for Piercing the Darkness, bestselling author Katherine Ramsland turns her keen and curious eye to the phenomenon of ghosts to uncover the truth behind a number of supernatural "sightings". Ramsland's extraordinary investigative memoir takes readers directly into the world of ghostly haunting and paranormal ac ...more
Published October 13th 2002 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost

Deanna Anderson
Have not quite finished this book, but I was compelled to write about it. I am very conflicted with this title for several reasons.

First of all, it is a personal narrative of one woman's quest to prove to herself that not only does a spirit realm exist, but to prove to herself that she perhaps has a ghost companion that comes with a haunted ring. I love personal narratives and diving deeply into a person's psyche, so it is very compelling in that aspect. Katherine writes an easy narrative that f
Jenn Kroll
If you are a fan of the paranormal, this is a quick..interesting read for you! It is the journey of one persons looking into the life of ghost hunting. ANyone who knows me, knows it was right up my alley!
Cheryl
Dec 11, 2007 Cheryl rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
From the woman who brought us "Piercing the Darkness" comes this follow-up. After taking a ring from one of her "vampire" subjects in her last book, she inherits the "Ghosts" that inhabit its powers. This is NOT fiction (tho it reads w/every spine-tingle like one.) She is set on finding out who the owner is and how he died. It's journalistic and delves into her own learning about the "ghost" world. She learns to use needed equipment, travels to notoriously haunted locals, confers with specialist ...more
Jen
Apr 05, 2008 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the paranormal
Katherine Ramsland's well written (real life) journey into paranormal investigation is something I would recommend to anyone who is a fairly new paranormal investigator or has thought of trying it. In this book she tells her experiences while researching the world of paranormal investigating. This is the only book I have read by Katherine Ramsland, but I really like the way she writes and it made me consider reading other books she has written on other topics that I have never read about. (And I ...more
H Hunt
A MUST READ!!! This truthful account of the authors experiences & what she discovered will make u think twice about what u believe, powerfully written honest narrative takes us thru this entire experience right along with her. What we thought or only suspected is REAL... for those who are or who are not interested in the paranormal will certainly receive an awakening, beautifully written this book is a page turner & u may find it disturbs ur sleep... Holly=+=
oleeleeo
This book is a little insane.. in a good way.

I knew who Ramsland was ; she's written over 40 books, I've read her column for Psychology Today. She is forensic psychologist she also has an interest in the paranomal. Her education/training grounds her and makes her exploration of this subject more interesting and credible.
This was the first book of hers I have read and will definitely read more. I stayed up late every night because I didn't want to put it down.

She wrote another book which investi
Ruth
This was one of the first books I purchased when I began investigating the paranormal. It actually combines a couple of things I'm interested in: ghosts and a fascination with vampires... an obsession from the author's earlier investigative work that led her on the journey to explore the afterlife.
Lenay
I shouldn't even put "finished". It is rare that I stop reading a book & decide not to finish it. on page 106, when the author relates as fact that someone is having a "psychic vampire attack"; I was just done. ugh. she purports to write in a "participatory journalism" style. but she never remains objective. the entire premise of the book is that she received a haunted ring from some guy she met in the woods who claims his dead boyfriend owned the ring & was a murderer. she proceeds to g ...more
Jaime Contreras
This was interesting book written by an author who wanted to know more. She got more than she bargained for and shares the experience with us. It is slow at times but overall it is an interesting read.
Linda
Interesting account of the authors adventures studying the supernatural.Would recommend it to those who like to read "true" ghost stories.
Kelsey
My brother bought this for me one Christmas, knowing that I love anything paranormal. This is a great, quick, and easy read for anyone who loves ghost stories or personal paranormal experiences. Throughout the novel, you get into the mind set of Katherine Ramsland, and her experiences almost become your experiences. Her details are great, and she doesn't seem to leave anything out.

What I liked most about this book was that it wasn't overly cheesy. A lot of paranormal books over emphasize people
Will N Van
Jun 13, 2008 Will N Van rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Paranormal Enthusiasts
Perhaps author Katherine Ramsland has a penchant for young men in their 20s. If that were all there was to it, I would say go for it. But the subject of interest of her latest work, "Ghost: A firsthand account into the world of paranormal activity," was perhaps also a self-proclaimed vampire guilty of violent murder and culminating in suicide. Or was he?

The coagulated blood binding this story together leads back to a previous expose she wrote regarding the prevalent vampire subculture in New Orl
Todd
Aug 01, 2008 Todd rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jill, Bridget, Karen
What happens when you are investigating the Goth-Vampire scene and some mysterious dude named Wraith gives you a ring haunted by his murdered lover? Well you go on a ghost hunt of course.

This book is a lot of fun. But if you are looking for hard scientific proof of the possibility of ghosts this book won't provide that. The author, and the people she deals with are a little too credulous for that even though many of the "ghost hunters" make pretense at being scientific. I wonder if they have he
Carole
Tedious, boring, repetitive, juvenile, awful. The author is unbelievably self-centered. Her motivation to go on a ghost hunt is a tale that could have been imagined by a very young teen. I read 150 pages, then possibly 15 more scattered throughout the rest of the book. It never got better.
Sian Jones
The silliest book no one should ever read. So bad it was hilarious. So ridiculous and fictional, I enjoyed myself, giggling to the very end, when the potentially fatal quest for the ghost haunting a vampire's ring comes down to nothing more than a spot of imagined noises in a dark wood. A note to Ms. Ramsland: When the credible ghost hunters you consult are telling you that you're reading a bit too much into things, and you disregard their advice, you might want to brag a little less about your ...more
Linda
I have never seen a ghost or do I believe in them. I have a friend that has been seeing them since he was young. I wanted to read this book to better understand what he experiences. The author neither believes or doubts there are ghosts but she delves into the society of 'Ghost-hunters' and learns more than she thought she ever would. With all the equipment you have to buy to get evidence of 'orbs' this is a hobby I will never want to pursue, it is expensive! n In the end the author summerizes h ...more
Michelle
This book was quite fascinating. I believe in ghosts and that is what drew me to read it. I enjoyed it for the most part, but it also had a lot of boring parts and seemed dragged out in certain parts. If you believe in ghosts, or question their existence, I think this is a good book for you. There is no real proof, but there are certain things in this book that surely make it seem that they exist.
Phil Giunta
This was a great read until about 2/3 through the book when the author starts to depend far too much on orbs as an indicator of paranormal activity because that was how she was taught by certain 'experts' in the paranormal field. Other than that, it was a very interesting read mostly due to Ramsland's motivation for exploring the paranormal.
TeraD
A written documentary on ghosthunting authored by a woman who decided to see what looking for ghosts was all about. I enjoyed the book to begin with and then it just got tedious and boring. It should have ended 100 pages earlier than it did. I felt like the author kept repeating the same information over and over again.
Jackie
Ramsland goes on a search for evidence that ghosts really do exist. She doesn't find any; I wish she had told me that at the beginning of the book. She blames her inability to see ghosts at least in part on the "low magnetic field" around her body. So, she returned to her first love -- writing about vampires.
*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
I read this a few years ago. I remember that she ended up with some ring and it turned out that the ring was haunted. While it was not really that scary there were moments when it did give me the creeps.
It was interesting enough but a little different than the traditional ghost story.
Travist Topa
Dec 10, 2011 Travist Topa marked it as to-read
so far so good, although she is a bit too ecstatic about orbs and what they could be...instead of noting that 99.999999999% of them are dust particles or insects etc...but we'll see where this goes.
Serena
Okay, so I never actually finished the book... It's non-fiction, which I'm not really a fan of, and it started good but never picked up. Maybe one day I'll go back and read it.
Dianne Maythorne
So scary!!! One of my favorite paranormal books--I could read this over and over. This woman is Anne Rice's sister and she is an excellent writer in her own right.
Karen Hugenroth
This book was very informative and really got me to thinking. I would like to read more of this author's book.
Saya
it's supposedly a true story. it doesn't really matter if it is or not, it's good. so far.
Geri
Apr 15, 2012 Geri marked it as to-read
Shelves: abandoned
This book just drags on...get to the point...I can't take it anymore!
Stephanie
I find her style very annoying and self involved.
Karen
i thought it was interesting since i like ghost hunting
Lori
Jul 23, 2009 Lori is currently reading it
good scientific approach to finding the truth.
  • Grave's End: A True Ghost Story
  • Will Storr vs. The Supernatural: One Man's Search for the Truth About Ghosts
  • Hunt for the Skinwalker: Science Confronts the Unexplained at a Remote Ranch in Utah
  • The Haunting of America: From the Salem Witch Trials to Harry Houdini
  • Chicago Haunts: Ghostly Lore of the Windy City
  • Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society
  • Haunted Heritage: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories
  • Haunted Britain and Ireland
  • Not In Kansas Anymore
  • Don't Call Them Ghosts: The Spirit Children of Fontaine Manse
  • Graveyard: More Terrifying Than Stephen King - Because It's True!
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • Ghosts of the McBride House: A True Haunting
  • Bigfoot!: The True Story of Apes in America
  • Dorothy Dandridge
  • Haunted Ohio III: Still More Ghostly Tales from the Buckeye State
  • Talking to the Dead: Kate and Maggie Fox and the Rise of Spiritualism
  • Haunted: The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House
I've loved books since I was 3, and the library was a highlight of my childhood. I've been fortunate to be able to find great joy in what others have written and sometimes to give this to readers. I follow my own muse, because it leads me on interesting adventures. If others benefit, so much the better.
More about Katherine Ramsland...
The Vampire Companion The Witches' Companion Cemetery Stories: Haunted Graveyards, Embalming Secrets, and the Life of a Corpse After Death Prism of the Night: A Biography of Anne Rice Piercing the Darkness: Undercover with Vampires in America Today