The Reformation (The Penguin History of the Church, #3)

The Reformation (The Penguin History of the Church #3)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The beginning of the sixteenth century brought growing pressure within the Western Church for Reformation. The popes could not hold Western Christendom together and there was confusion about Church reform. What some believed to be abuses, others found acceptable. Nevertheless over the years three aims emerged: to reform the exactions of churchmen, to correct errors of doct...more
Published December 7th 1990 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Reformation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reformation

Elijah Kinch Spector
Last night (Christmas), I got into a heated argument with a friend of a friend over local politics, that at one point devolved into actual yelling. I was pretty sure I had made the rest of the evening awkward and uncomfortable, and that this guy definitely did not like me.

Other folks pushed the evening's conversation toward other things, and eventually the Thirty Years War came up. This resulted in the same guy excitedly shoving this book into my hand. I guess I've got to read it and maybe I hav...more
T
This is the third book in a series about the history of the Christian church. It is a very quick, but good overview of the events and people involved in the reformation. The chronology is a little easier to follow in this book than with others in the series, but the focus is more on broader themes that come from the reformation. Several sections focus on key individuals in the reformation like Luther and Calvin.
Lauren Albert
It says something that Chadwick finally helped me understand (and in a way I can easily articulate) the difference between Calvinists and Lutherans. It is a thorough and lucid discussion of the Reformation and the Counter-Reformation as well as the roles that politics played (and vice versa) in both. The lucidity is notable since he manages not to oversimplify matters.
Zach
Chadwick is probably my favorite author of the Penguin History series. But I did like his book on the early church much better but that might be because that I find that era of history more fascinating than this one.
Jeremy
May 20, 2014 Jeremy marked it as to-read
Alan Jacobs: Diarmaid McCullough (whose massive book on the Reformation is probably the best one out there) has called Chadwick's book the best short version on the subject.
Richard Wright
Great teaching tool. Enjoyable read. Covers so much territory in a small book.
David Varney
Illuminating read from a recognised expert in his field.
Eric Schaaf
Eric Schaaf marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Stef
Stef marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Jelle
Jelle marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Rubina Saigol
Rubina Saigol marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Seth Bobbink
Seth Bobbink marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Deborah Jenkins
Deborah Jenkins marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Caitlin Bickel
Caitlin Bickel marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Paul Galloway
Paul Galloway marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
The Secularization of the European Mind in the Nineteenth Century (Canto original series) A History of Christianity The Christian Church in the Cold War (The Penguin History of the Church. #7) Mind of Oxford Movement The Victorian Church Part Two 1860 - 1901