Start by marking “La Llorona: The Weeping Woman [With Cassette]” as Want to Read:
La Llorona: The Weeping Woman [With Cassette]

La Llorona: The Weeping Woman [With Cassette]

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  99 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The best known folk story of Hispanic America tells of a beautiful young woman who thinks she must marry the most handsome man in the world.
Published July 1st 1996 by Cinco Puntos Press (first published November 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about La Llorona, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Llorona

Kelly
This story has always reminded me of the Greek myth of Medea.

I enjoyed this retelling. The English / Spanish format make it a great choice for learning either language as a 2nd language.

It could also make an interesting readers theater piece for a bilingual group.

The art is a little dark, befitting the story, with its cross hatch black ink.

I really didn't like Maria or her husband. It's interesting, because it is a story without any sort of likable hero.
Rachel
Jan 16, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am now in my Mid twenties. I can still remember most of his story's and they what he tells them. I first heard this story in my 3rd grade class. It is a fantastic scary story. I love Joe Hayes. I would highly recommend listening to any of his stories on tape he tells him so well!
Bethe
bookaday #54. A few years ago I heard Joe Hayes tell this story at a library conference. As I read the words, I can hear his fantastic voice, in both English of Spanish. Author's note tells the history behind the well known tale.
Austin Wright
Jul 16, 2015 Austin Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A clever bilingual book about the crying woman of Latin America. Quite dark!
Kimberly Nunez
Mar 09, 2010 Kimberly Nunez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god!,can you believe la llorona kill he own children,yep she did.In this story is about a young lady (maria)who dreams with a perfect man in her life.Later like 3 weeks i dont remember how many pass but then she have 2 children.One is a boy and the other one is a girl.Maria husband have to work but when he come back home he only visited his children,maria so jealous and anger she go to the river with her children and she put them under water.Days pass maria be came a gost and she is saying ...more
Alice
Sep 17, 2011 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
6. Personal Response: This story is upsetting, but I like how upsetting stories are told as morals for young people. We don’t always need to protect our children from ugly stories, especially when they are meant to teach a lesson or keep children safe. The United States is very prudish about this sort of thing.[return]7. Connections: Legends of other countries, bilingual book unit, etc. I like to go through the English and Spanish texts together and pick out cognates and find new vocabulary. Thi ...more
Dayanara
this is so cool thanks
Meredith Miner
May 08, 2013 Meredith Miner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My students all love the mystery of La Llorona, but I (and most of them) don't know anything about the traditional story. This version is written by Joe Hayes, an author I really like. For these reasons I bought this book on our trip to Bookies. The story turns out to be, in my opinion, a little inappropriate, as the woman drowns her children and then kills herself. So, I am not sure that I would use it in my class.
Barbara Lovejoy
May 02, 2012 Barbara Lovejoy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love books by Joe Hayes! This is another book I bought with money donated by two Esperanza Board members for our Esperanza School Library. It would be great to have a number of versions of this story by different authors in our library.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A sad and creepy story told in Spanish and English. I could swear I've read this story or something similar somewhere else, but I can't remember where. Must investigate... Recommended!
Clarissa Olivarez
Oct 18, 2007 Clarissa Olivarez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent re-telling of the folk-legend in a text that is both accessible and well-written for adolescents and younger children.
Caroline
Dec 12, 2013 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 7-to-9-year-old crowd I read it to assured me that it wasn't too scary.
Aleisha Claytor
Dec 01, 2008 Aleisha Claytor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i read this book in the 4th grade. it was good
Gaby
Jul 17, 2012 Gaby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una version bilingue e interesante
↓→♫вяιтнαиу↓→
not really that scary
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Fatima
Fatima marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Fabian
Fabian marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Jeremy Espinoza
Jeremy Espinoza rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Tatjana
Tatjana rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Jackie
Jackie added it
Feb 11, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Alicia Holt
Alicia Holt marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Shayla
Shayla added it
Dec 29, 2015
salmonrojo
salmonrojo marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Gathering the Sun: An Alphabet In Spanish And English
  • Los Gatos Black on Halloween
  • ¡Sí, Se Puede! / Yes, We Can!: Janitor Strike in L.A.
  • Crossing Bok Chitto
  • My Diary from Here to There/Mi diario de aquí hasta allá
  • St. Patrick's Day
  • The Big Pets
  • Harvesting Hope: The Story of Cesar Chavez
  • The Outspoken Princess and The Gentle Knight: A Treasury of Modern Fairy Tales
  • Who Eats What?: Food Chains and Food Webs
  • Manners
  • Cactus Soup
  • Martina the Beautiful Cockroach: A Cuban Folktale
Designated New Mexico Eminent Scholar by the New Mexico Commission on Higher Learning (1979).

Joe was the youngest of five children. His father loved to tell stories. The family moved to Arizona where Joe learned to speak Spanish which became an integral part of his storytelling and writing.

In 1979, he began to devote himself full time to sharing stories. He focuses on elementary school audiences
More about Joe Hayes...