Start by marking “Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning” as Want to Read:
Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning

Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  626 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Jay Chiat, founder of the prestigious Chiat/Day advertising agency (which created campaigns for the Energizer Bunny and Fruitopia) called it "The best new-business tool ever invented." A newly defined discipline that combines aspects of four traditionally separate areas of advertising and marketing, account planning is one of the hottest topics in advertising today. This b ...more
Published March 13th 1998 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about Truth, Lies, and Advertising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truth, Lies, and Advertising

The Medici Effect by Frans JohanssonOne Red Paperclip by Kyle MacdonaldThinkertoys by Michael MichalkoDoer's Dilemma - Why Achievers Suffer And What To Do About It by Tom E. JonesPositioning by Al Ries
Planning + Insights
6th out of 22 books — 3 voters
Ogilvy on Advertising by David OgilvyNaked News for Indie Authors by Gisela HausmannMade to Stick by Chip HeathConfessions of an Advertising Man by David OgilvyThe Advertising Concept Book by Pete Barry
Advertising Suggested Reading List
31st out of 39 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Bucket
Steel takes a very tongue-in-cheek approach to describing account planning and its role in advertising. He makes the case for account planning - basically it's important role in executing and distilling the right type of research into key goals, audience details, and messages that can inform and spark creative work.

As I read Steel's book, I looked at it more through a branding lens than an advertising lens since that has more relevance for me. I found his ideas very familiar from the other resea
Gayatri Sriram
There's a lot to be learnt in the 250 or so pages of this book, but there is much more to be "un-learnt" as well. I don't know about the rest of the world, but Indians definitely take advertising way too seriously. "Learnings" of one campaign are unabashedly applied to every other clients brief, and case studies become biblical sources of guaranteed success. Much of it, as a result, is predictable. We may be avoiding a lot of heartache later on because of all these self imposed "rules", but we'r ...more
Kunal
Largely, this book gave a glimpse into the work which goes into understanding the persona and psyche of the target group. Once this foundation is built , it takes seconds to come up with creative ideas. This book is about the part of iceberg we dont get to see.

Key takeaways:
1] Identify the emotions/reactions which are naturally associated with a product. Then use that. No need to re-invent the wheel. [Cuervo Case Study]

2]Giving a glimpse into what will happen if the product ceased to exist alt
Kevin Grubb
No one cares about your brand.

I think that's the key message from this book, a message that anyone who sells (directly or otherwise) things for a living needs to bear in mind. Most of your customers don't care about your ads or your product's glorious features. Most of them merely have needs or desires they wish to satisfy, but this doesn't stop companies from feeling that their product or service is somehow "special." The key message is that your customers aren't loyal to you by default; in ad
Rara Rizal
Stumbled upon this book while I was preparing for an interview for a job I know nothing about, in an industry I am completely unfamiliar with. Gave me a pretty good basic idea about what the job I was interviewing for was about. For its helicopter-view approach of the process of creating an ad, it might as well be titled "Anatomy of an Ad". All in all, I went from knowing nothing about advertising to maybe a little more than nothing.
Alex Devero
An account planner helps develop great advertising by working to understand the consumer’s needs and communicating those to the agency’s creative team as well as the client. This important role is all about creating a meaningful message and a human connection.
Alexis Cheong
flip to the end for the best part. the book was rather draggy, though there are good principles inside. I wish there were more good stories instead.
Linda Watson
This chronicles the early days of account planning - not that long ago! informative and enjoyable read.
Jenny
This is a great foundational book for Account Planning. Jon Steel incorporates a lot of meaningful insights and examples from his past experience. I think this book goes beyond being useful to planners; it also illustrates what an ad agency should be like in order to build successful campaigns and ultimately, client relationships. Even though much has changed in advertising since the book's 1998 publication date, its content is still relevant and applicable to today's advertising strategies. Def ...more
Isaiah Fapuro
I really enjoyed this book (and I still want to be a planner, which I suppose is good for me!) My main take away is asking the right questions, and not being afraid to challenge existing ideas, which is my main issue at the moment.
Gus Khaldi
I think I read every chapter in this book 3-4 times! Old but Gold! Anyone in advertising should read this... the "got milk?" case study at the end was the icing on the cake!
Jazreen
Definitely a recommended book for anybody who wants to know about how ads are made from ideas or insights.

A good book to start with if you are an advertising student, or planning to work in the industry.
Sean
This book is a door that has opened to give you a glimpse into the creative minds that are the world's best planners. Planning isn't just research, it's the creative use, interpretation, and gathering of that research. Now I only wish there was a detailed outline of how he goes from point A to B!
Luis Garrido
Ideas for advertising and account planning that were at least 10 if not 20 years ahead of their time. Literally. Brilliantly and entertainingly written, this book provides smart ideas for how to understand and connect with consumers in a meaningful, emotional, and empathetic way.
Great book that gives you an overhead look at Account Planning, the process of creating a creative brief, and the process that went into creating a few really great ad campaigns. Definitely recommended - this is a classic anyone in advertising or marketing should read.
Janice
Great introduction to account planning, giving you the history behind why the profession was established. Conversational, tactile knowledge. Pay attention to how the creative brief was born and how it has evolved today in agencies striving to disrupt the silos.
Reema
It's a classic if you're looking into planning, like I am. However, there are many dated examples and I would recommend only reading up to Chapter 5 as the rest of the book is case examples. It's best to take away big picture points.
Joey Chiang
As others said, great introductory book to the world of account planning. I enjoyed reading this when I transitioned to a new job in account planning. It gave me new perspectives and considerations in my role within the agency.
Holly
May 19, 2007 Holly is currently reading it
"...being out of it has two main advantages. It allows me to see things that may be so familiar to a native that they have become invisible. It also allows others to see me as someone who needs to be educated."
ryan
people always ask me what I do. they should read this book. its interesting and goes beyond just the advertising world. 4 or 5 case studies including the planning behind the got milk campaign. Jon Steel's a bad ass.
Rita
This was a very informative book on what account planning means and enlightens you on whether or not this is a career path for you. Easy to read and has some amazing examples.
Paola Bersi
good classic advertising book. Great references. Although the examples are a bit dated nowadays it provides some historical background about key campaigns in the past.

Umar Ghumman
The classic Account Planning book. You HAVE to read it if you work in strategy or planning. Some things may look/sound dated but the thinking is still applicable.
Missy
Jul 01, 2007 Missy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those exposed to advertising
Shelves: pastreads
I liked it, very informative. I do not work in advertising. I have to return this book to my friend who does work in advertising but I sort of want to keep it....
Chip Miller
Possibly still the best Account Planning handbook in the ad business. This book will benefit anyone working with creative/artistic/content-providers.
Dave
Mar 07, 2009 Dave rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Every ad person everywhere
Recommended to Dave by: Kendra Gale
2nd best theory and practice adbook ever written - 2nd only to Ogilvy. Taught me what account planning was really about - and its importance.
Andrea Lewis
A more in-depth look at what Account Planning is, where it comes from and what it strives for. [required reading for my account planning class]
Rodrigo
I really liked it. Steel is so easy-reading, sometime he even made me laugh. Good book if you're into no-matter-which-area of advertising.
Nick Tillman
Great way to get some background in the way account planning works. Very useful for anyone who needs to do any sort of consumer research.
  • Cutting Edge Advertising: How to Create the World's Best for Brands in the 21st Century
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • Lovemarks
  • Sorry for the lobsters
  • Confessions of an Advertising Man
  • A Technique for Producing Ideas
  • The Hero and the Outlaw: Building Extraordinary Brands Through the Power of Archetypes
  • Chief Culture Officer: How to Create a Living, Breathing Corporation
  • Bill Bernbach's Book: A History of Advertising That Changed the History of Advertising
  • How Brands Grow: What Marketers Don't Know