Start by marking “Dawn (Cutler, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dawn (Cutler, #1)

Dawn (Cutler #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  13,499 Ratings  ·  237 Reviews
In her fine new Virginia school, Dawn Longchamp feels happy and safe. But nothing is what it seems...
Now Dawn and her older brother Jimmy have a chance for a decent, respectable life, and Dawn's secret, precious hope to study singing can come true. Philip Cutler, the handsomest boy in school, sets Dawn's heart on fire. She is deeply devoted to her brooding brother; but w
Published November 1st 1990 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dawn

Nov 17, 2007 Neva rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People with serious problems
Dawn is probably the worst book VC Andrews never wrote. It's the story of an impoverished vagabond who lives in Virginia with her parents and brother and sister. Her father gets a job as a janitor at a fancy private school, and Dawn and her brother Jimmy can go for free. Surprise, surprise, it's full of snobs and they hate Dawn and her brother. Everyone except a totally hot dude! I never realized while reading this in middle school how fast Dawn's romance with Philip progresses - they eat peanut ...more
May 27, 2008 Shannon rated it it was ok
This whole series could be great. It has all the elements: mystery, deceit, betrayal. Unfortunately, it was written by Andrew Neiderman, the person Andrews' family chose to continue her legacy. Why they chose a man, particularly this man, is beyond me. The writing is terrible. The dialog is unbelievable and idiotic and makes all the characters (especially Dawn) appear incredibly stupid. Just very bad.
Dawn Campbell
Jun 16, 2008 Dawn Campbell rated it it was amazing
My sister had a box of books in her closet and the only reason I picked this up is because my name was the title! Little did I know what I was about to get myself into! All of V.C. Andrews' books (be it the ones she wrote or the ghost writers after her) are quite interesting. As soon as I finished this book, I was hooked on all her others. I've fallen off the wagon the past year or two, but I hope to catch up to them all.
Molli Moran
Nov 14, 2008 Jamie rated it liked it
I think in my pre-teen years I read all the VC Andrews books with my best-friend Trish at my side. love you trish!
Oct 22, 2010 Camille rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, own
This book is in my favorites section and I feel the need to explain... it's more for sentimental value not actually the greatness of the writing.

In 7th grade while all my friends were into the Sweet Valley High books, I was devouring the world of V.C. Andrews. It’s something about the lonely, outcast, but talented orphan, finding her "real" family which happens to ridiculously rich. Of course her real family treats her horribly because of the "secret scandal" which expunged her from the family i
I don't know why I ever try to read serious books. It should be all V.C. Andrews, all the time. It's like watching an episode of Maury Povich or Jerry Springer, only better because you're reading it and improving your mind at the same time!

Dawn is exactly like Heaven (from V.C. Andrews' Casteel series) except she's blonde instead of brunette and lives in Richmond, Virginia instead of the West Virginia mountains. Everything else the same -- dirt-poor upbringing, secret wealthy parents, mean girls
Kim Smiley
Jun 17, 2009 Kim Smiley rated it it was amazing
Bark's Book Nonsense
Jan 14, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, horror
Daisy Arellano
Apr 02, 2011 Daisy Arellano rated it it was amazing
I liked this book because it had interesting twists and turns and it was kind of sad and shocking. In the story a young girl named dawn has to transfer to a new school. Where she gets a boyfriend. Later in the story she learns this boy is her brother and her worst enemy is her sister. Also that she was kidnapped and when everything seems wierd enough she learns that her kidnapping was planned by her grandmother and the reason was because her mother cheated on her father and ended up with her. Wh ...more
Megs ♥
Dec 09, 2013 Megs ♥ rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, z-2011-reads
This was my favorite book when I was 15. I remember a friend giving me this book, and how our parents let us read it honestly having no clue of the content. My friend and I would sit on the phone for hours laughing at the authors use of the word "hardness"..Yes we were that mature!

Recently I reread it and sadly the book didn't stand the test of time. I can reread Flowers in The Attic over and over again, but somehow I just can't read 90% of the books done by Andrews' ghost writer.

As far as Dawn
Apr 11, 2012 Zonah rated it really liked it
reading this book made me feel mature and i tried imagining myself into the situations...that was a great deal...hats off to V.C.Andrews...and especially to Dawn..!!
Apr 04, 2014 Mell rated it did not like it
Another book I found in an old pile from high school. Ugh, I can't believe adults let me read these. While I don't remember VC Andrews books as graphic, they were full of incestuous brother-sister relationships.

Why did anyone read these? And there are about a million different VC Andrews series. Sadly, I owned several. In hardback. They might have been gifts! I packed them off to Goodwill, as I can't toss (or burn, ha) even bad, bad books.
Apr 30, 2012 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting but not the best. I didn't really like the way it was written. It was if an adult was trying to hard to be young. And Dawn was so emotional. But i liked her anyway. She was innocent, even after everything that people did to her.
Parts were very predictable but it was fun to see them play out. Like the family drama and how she finds out how messed up her families actually are. It is a nice web of secrets.
The sexual references are not great. They seem all very wrong some how. T
Jun 23, 2012 Jess rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Middle schoolers
Shelves: vc-andrews
I keep wondering why in the world V.C. Andrews books are so popular, and I keep wondering why I buy them at garage sales, and then I finish one and realize they are such campy trash and I love them.

"Dawn" is no exception. Even though this was one of the books ghostwritten after Andrews' death, it follows the same basic elements of any classic Andrews novel: Innocent fair-haired protagonist, rags to riches story, incredibly talented and attractive youths, evil old woman, and a whole lotta incest.
Aug 25, 2012 Brittany rated it it was amazing
I read this book and the rest of The Cutler series years ago, and have reread them at least 3 times since. I really loved this series; I love how Dawn starts off as a very shy and sweet girl in the first novel and then turns into a very powerful business woman. Her strong personality is always what I hoped to have. Usually I do not like V.C Andrews 4th novel (which usually is from the main characters daughters point of view). That was not the case here; I enjoyed Christies personality as well. I ...more
Delicious Strawberry
After VC Andrews died, it was left to Andrew Neiderman to finish the four books she had started but did not finish. After he did so, he wrote this book. It is supposed to have been based off notes and outlines left by VC before her untimely death. I know that some people were unhappy with Neiderman for this book and series, but I feel that the Cutler series reflected Neiderman's best efforts. It's clear that he put a lot of effort into this series as compared to his later works... which consist ...more
Jun 12, 2014 Yusra rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, thriller

I do not recommend this series unless you enjoy soap operas and you’re most recent favourite show just got cancelled, and maybe then you will find this to your liking.
Jul 06, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing
V.C Andrews never disappoints.
Andi Clarke
Jan 08, 2013 Andi Clarke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series
Apr 03, 2013 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I agree with Delicious Strawberry. Dawn and in fact the entire Cutler series represents a solid effort by V.C. Andrews ghostwriter Andrew Neiderman to continue to write books based on the notes of the deceased author. Sure, there are a number of stylistic differences between the two authors (and a major typo early on where the author accidentally switches narratives, but blame for that lies with the editing) but those are small grumbles, when compared to the quality of the series overall.

Dawn in
Aug 13, 2013 Rissy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: v-c-andrews
Angel **Book Junkie**
Dec 19, 2014 Angel **Book Junkie** rated it it was amazing
As always the book did not disappoint.
Yes, there is incest..yes there are things that some people find disgusting but the whole thing I find interesting is that V.C. Andrews never disappoints.
It always brings me back and now that I am older and actually reading some of these books for the first time I am at a level that I find myself seeing some of the things in a different light.
I loved Dawn and thought that more times than one she showed a backbone that few others would have shown in her si
Jaime (Curious Kindle Reader)

For Full Review - Check out my blog!

Ok – so I’m wandering around a second hand book store that’s so jammed packed from floor to ceiling that I can barely breathe through the dust/musty goodness. Because this is my favorite thing about old bookstores – getting lost in the stacks. But then, I come across a book shelf COVERED in nothing but VC Andrews books – which sends me back so fast to my adolescence I
Mar 21, 2014 Iolanda rated it liked it

Well, this was no Flowers In The Attic and certainly didn't impact me much like FITA did but it was still enjoyable. This is a solid effort from the Ghostwriter--the plot intrigued me and I was desperate to get my hands on this, so when I finally got around to reading it, I was impressed, until I started to notice that the GW stole some of the writing from FITA, it angered me, it made me think bitterly about him again. His lack of creativity and use of plagiarism disgusting me. But t
Vanessa Salazar
Sep 03, 2014 Vanessa Salazar rated it really liked it
I actually read Dawn several years ago. I lent it out and got it back around July this year, which is why I forgot that I had already read it. Within the first few pages I vaguely remembered the story. I continued reading and ended up looking at the book in a very different way.

The book was very engaging and well written. I might not continue the series because it is basically the same types of scenarios as the Dollanganger Series, which I have already read and loved.

The main character, Dawn, d
Halcyon Daze
Oct 22, 2014 Halcyon Daze rated it it was ok
This book wasn't actually written by the great V.C. Andrews but rather a the ghostwriter, and it shows.

I mean, he has a lot of the shallower aspects of the books down. Beautiful, innocent heroine, long-lost family, incest, a big, pimped-out house with its own name (Cutler Cove this time), but it's superficial. It doesn't have the same dramatic, almost adolescent feel of the real V.C. Andrews book.

Dawn is about a girl named Dawn who comes from a really poor family, but then it turns out (shocker)
I usually enjoy Andrew Neiderman VC Andrews, and this was no different: I flipped through this in a day and it was fun.

I know 1 star is harsh, but it was so obvious he wasn't even trying. There wasn't enough fucked-up-shit for it to be amusing, and it was so cliched and juvenile that it felt like Sweet Valley High without all the craziness that makes VC Andrews interesting.

I'll be completely honest, from what I've read, Andrew Neiderman is a competent writer. He's no literary genius, but I can
Jul 30, 2016 Rebecca rated it did not like it
Good grief, what a load of rubbish this book was! I picked it up at a charity bookstall thinking if it was written by Virginia Andrews then I couldn't go wrong. It wasn't until I got home I realised it was ghostwritten after her death and quite obviously a complete ripoff of her earlier works - some paragraphs are even lifted right out of Flowers in the Attic. The main character, Dawn, is a complete idiot and has no concept of other characters nuances and true feelings. She crosses the lines bet ...more
Aug 13, 2016 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was introduced to Virginia Andrews by my older sister and loved her books like many tweens/teens growing up in the 80s/90s. I don't really think they were intended for such a young audience as her books dealt with disturbing themes like rape and incest. (These books were big with teens a long time before the YA tsunami that hit the publishing world in the 2000s). I think a lot of her books employed the same formula to some extent: innocent pre-adolescent blonde orphan girl shipped off to live ...more
Another World: Discussion Questions (May contain slight spoilers) 1 3 Feb 04, 2014 06:59PM
  • The Dance (Final Friends #2)
  • Last Dance (Saturday Night, #2)
  • V.C. Andrews: Her Life and Books
  • Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)
  • Vanquished
  • Party Line
  • Kaitlyn
  • The Homing
  • Blood Roots
Books published under the following names - Virginia Andrews, V. Andrews, Virginia C. Andrews & V.C. Endrius. Books since her death ghost written by Andrew Neiderman, but still attributed to the V.C. Andrews name

Virginia Cleo Andrews (born Cleo Virginia Andrews) was born June 6, 1923 in Portsmouth, Virginia. The youngest child and the only daughter of William Henry Andrews, a career navy man
More about V.C. Andrews...

Cutler (5 books)
  • Secrets of the Morning (Cutler, #2)
  • Twilight's Child (Cutler #3)
  • Midnight Whispers (Cutler #4)
  • Darkest Hour (Cutler, #5)