Start by marking “Secrets in the Attic (Secrets, #1)” as Want to Read:
Secrets in the Attic (Secrets, #1)

Secrets in the Attic (Secrets #1)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  3,327 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
From the imagination behind Flowers in the Attic comes a sensational new novel that spins a seductive web between fantasies and lies -- and uncovers the price for keeping Secrets in the Attic

Two Friends As Close As Sisters. One Killer Secret That Will Tear Their Small Town Apart.

In the dust and shadows of the attic, they shared everything -- fanciful stories, high schoo

Published September 25th 2007 by Pocket Star (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets in the Attic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets in the Attic

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesTwilight by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Books You Are Tired Of Hearing About
157th out of 447 books — 972 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareForbidden by Tabitha SuzumaVampire Academy by Richelle MeadDelirium by Lauren OliverPerfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
Best Books Involving Forbidden Love
464th out of 1,011 books — 2,534 voters

More lists with this book...

Delicious Strawberry
Oct 27, 2012 Delicious Strawberry rated it did not like it
Shelves: andrew-neiderman
I knew that this book was going to be a huge problem from the prologue. I was amazed at how many metaphors, similies, and other literary devices were shoved into the prologue alone - ballerinas, icicles, the passage of the seasons, and so on and so forth. Of course, there's nothing wrong with using such literary devices, but in this book they're so grossly abused that it left little room for actual story.

And what's the story? A teenage girl and her family move to a little town to some house with
Helen Maltby
Fairly standard for Virginia Andrews these days. Despite the fact that the new books are nowhere near as good as the ones she ACTUALLY wrote I still feel some sort of 'brand loyalty'!

There was something about Karen that I didn't like right from the start and so it was good to know my senses weren't off! Have the sequel and will read it.
Tina Taylor
Sometimes I hate that when I properly start a book I can't not finish it. I used to love Virginia Andrews books but then that was a long time ago. I thought I'd try this but I wish I hadn't. Two best friends, Zipporah, one with an idyllic family, and Karen, one whom apparently has a mother and step-dad who doesn't like her. When Karen breaks down one day and confides that he is sexually abusing her the girls hatch a plan to scare him off. Zipporah is brought home from school the next day and tol ...more
Nov 28, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
I would have liked the book so much better if the end didn't feel so rushed and left unexplained. The story itself was gripping and the characters were intriguing, everything was spot on, in that regard. I made it through the book pretty fast but I was deeply disappointed with the end. I guess the author concentrated more about the main character and how she would get on with her life after being involved in such events, but I don't like how she skipped the details about why really the crime wa ...more
Unapologetic_Bookaholic
Tez
Jan 04, 2014 Tez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda
Jun 30, 2010 Amanda rated it it was ok
I'm sad because this book had potential but didn't take it anywhere. It was typical VC Andrews, following the same vein as the original books that she wrote but not quite reaching out far enough or capturing the reader. The ending was just too abrupt and left too many things unsaid.

Mind you, I read it in one evening so on the plus side of things, it was easy and quick to read!
Amber
Aug 02, 2011 Amber rated it did not like it
I've read all of V.C. Andrews book written before this book. The plot sounded interesting enough but in reality this book was a big disappointment, especially from V.C. Andrews. I couldn't get past the 3rd chapter. The story was extremely slow moving, the characters were different than all of the other characters in V.C. Andrew's books, I found them boring.
Tamela
Dec 24, 2008 Tamela rated it did not like it
Didn't like this book very much. Predictable, slow, and the plot was not believable. The characters in this book were weak and not interesting at all. The main character, Zipporah, was 'thick' and seemingly weak. She was easily manipulated by Karen. Zipporah was, in Karens words, 'thick' and it was very evident. Don't recommend this book.
Micah Wallace
May 01, 2009 Micah Wallace rated it did not like it
I decided to check in on the old V.C. Andrews line. I shouldn't have. Unlike Flowers, there was absolutely nothing to keep me reading. Cardboard characters, predictable story... luckily, it's a fast read so my time wasted was minimal.
Ann
Jul 09, 2008 Ann rated it liked it
Ah VC Andrews takes me right back to my high school reading days. I loved the Flowers in the Attic Series so much! This was not as intriguing but I enjoyed it all the same. It was a good back to my roots summer read!
Lauren Gommert
Jul 29, 2011 Lauren Gommert rated it it was ok
Ridiculously boring. I don't know why I keep reading V.C. Andrews books, I guess I expect them to 'wow' me like vintage Andrews. The modern books can't touch the earlier works. Now THERE'S some good reading!
Ginnie
Jul 02, 2015 Ginnie rated it really liked it
I gave this 4 stars.

This story was amazing! Although I seen some reviews that claimed this book was horrible I have to disagree. I must agree though that it did take forever to get to the action but then again don't most stories explain things in the beginning to then get to the juicy parts. I would've given it 4.5 stars BUT I was getting rather annoyed with the characters both Zipporah and Karen. I don't know who I was getting upset with more!

This story had a lot of lies and deceit yet also sho
Redfox5
Dec 06, 2010 Redfox5 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Read this all yesterday. Not as good as some of her earlyer books but still has enough there to keep you interested. I distrusted Karen thoughout the whole book. The things she said were meant to make you feel sorry for her but the way she just kept coming out with new things that happened to her made me smell a rat. By the end of the book you still don't know what was the truth as the only thing disproved was about the flat. I'm not sure if her stepfather did abuse her. Something bad must of ha ...more
Stacy Mar
Aug 17, 2016 Stacy Mar rated it liked it
i was more than disappointed with this book. it had a good plot and an interesting storyline that went nowhere for 400 pages.

nothing like the original work of VCA.
Jennifer (INnerSANITY)
My my my.. This book was really mediocre.. I read it fast and I will read the 2nd one.. In hopes of finding out what really happened with Karen.. I thought Zipporah was really naive and clueless.. Especially about the whole situation with the guy at school and what Karen practically forced her into doing.. Why would she go along with it? Did she honestly think Karen's logic made any sense?? I liked the idea of Karen being nutty - it explained things.. I wish they would've explained why she was l ...more
Kdnts
Jan 10, 2015 Kdnts rated it it was ok
My first Virginia Andrews book and perhaps I picked the wrong one, especially now that I find out that this is one of her later books, published since her death and is actually ghost written. I was pretty disappointed.

The characters were annoying, especially Karen (not saved by the fact that she is my namesake). I found it quite predictable and had to push myself through to finish it. The story was interesting but unfortunately, the frustrating characters let it down for me.

I won't be reading t
Freda Labianca
Jan 15, 2016 Freda Labianca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
*Deep breath*
Wow. Karen sure is a sicko.
But man, it made for great reading. You knew she was full of crap, and you had a feeling all throughout she wasn't telling the truth about her story, but I didn't expect her to be that demented.
I like that when I read a book though. I get pulled into sick twisted minds and go right along with whatever gets dished out.
V.C. Andrews always packs a punch with me. Each story is different, and yet I always get pulled right into it.
This is an older series, but i
Megan
Jun 20, 2014 Megan rated it liked it
I LOVE V.C. Andrews' original books. One of the reasons I picked this up was because the plot seemed decent and the story took place in 1962. I have to say the plot idea is great, but I felt that the ghostwriter re-hashed over certain points too many times. I have noticed this in other more recent books as well. I have to say that the character, Karen, really got on my nerves. So much so that I considered not finishing the book. She reminded me of my bratty cousin from childhood. The book had an ...more
Peggy Twigg
Aug 09, 2015 Peggy Twigg rated it liked it
Strange, eerie book. I couldn’t get that interested in the book in the beginning, but I continued. It got better as I continued. I thought it was in interesting book, having never read this type of book before. Karen was definitely a very strange friend. Zipporah, who would listen to the crazy things Karen comes up with and believe her all along. There’s a deadly secret they are keeping…up in that attic!! How many people’s lives will be affected by Karen’s shenanigans?! The ending caught me by s ...more
Amanda Ooi
Jan 21, 2015 Amanda Ooi rated it it was amazing
As usual, VC Andrews' series never fail to surprise me, regardless of the story was written by the hired ghost writer. If you love the Dollanganger series, I don't think you should miss the Secrets series. Personally, I love VC Andrews' style of writing as it considered as gothic horror. I always enjoy reading her books as it was like riding a roller coaster or watching a movie which is so interesting that I can't take my eyes off it. But the book kept me wondering what had happened to Karen at ...more
Carly
May 08, 2011 Carly rated it it was amazing
This is such a sad book!!

I found this book sad and intamate,, you want the characters to pull together and survive even though surviving is against the odds!! It's heart warming how the children look out for eachother and protect each other!!

There us a twist in this book which I'm reluctant to mention because of spoilers!!

It's definitley worth a read!!
However the books that followed weren't as good I list intrest midway through the second book but have read them all because they were here and
Rissy
Aug 18, 2016 Rissy rated it it was ok
Shelves: v-c-andrews
From the information on the front page, I thought this was a different book for some reason so I put off reading it for a while.

Part one of a two part series (I think), centers around two teenaged girls that befriend one another in a small town. One of these girls has many many secrets, but mostly it just boils down to her being a bit insane.

Zipporah's best friend, the one she feels as close to as a sister, turns her world up side down and puts her whole family and happiness at risk. I long ag
Ashli
Feb 23, 2015 Ashli rated it really liked it
Better than I thought it was going to be! Let's be honest, though, nothing can beat the original V.C. Andrews. I've read so many series from the ghost(s) writer(s) and this, by far, is better than let's three of the series I'm currently thinking of (but blanking on the series name because they were that horrible). Anyway, my mom had randomly picked this out for me and I'm glad she did. It wasn't my favorite but overall, I liked it and will be continuing on with the rest of the series.
Rebecca
Feb 09, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it
I am pretty sure I had already read this several years ago, but I wanted to go thru all the V. C. Andrews books that I am not positive about and read them again. The book itself wasn't too bad, however, I couldn't stand Karen, not even a little bit. If I heard her say "Don't be so thick!" one more time I felt like I was going to jump into the book just to tell her to shut it... LOL. However, call me a glutten, I am going to read the sequel.
Renata R.
Feb 26, 2014 Renata R. rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
This book would get three starts but the ending just ruined it for me.

The characters were good but they could play their parts some much better than they did.
It was a good story in the beggining, an average story towards the end and it was really bad by the epilogue.
I just can't stand the last pages. For me it was unfinished and unexplained. I'm all for using my imagination when I read but that was just too much.
Kristi
Mar 16, 2009 Kristi rated it did not like it
eh, i kept reading to find out what happened but then it's just like why??
I wondered why zipporah was such an outcast that she could be so easily manipulated, seems like she had a good home, wasn't too ugly, too smart, or too dumb, i just didn't believe the new girl with the weird name would be so invisible.
And why was Karen so twisted??
confusing weak and just fluff
but i never got the real Vc andrews either,
Eire
Feb 01, 2016 Eire rated it did not like it
I am severely disappointed in not just this book, but all the books coming from the ghost writer. I want to make myself very clear that I am disappointed with the ghost writer, not V.C. Andrews herself. Let me explain why:
The ghostwriter is supposed to be honoring V.C. Andrews. When she passed away he continued to write her books in her name to keep her vestige alive. As a heirloom and gift to her adoring fans. However, VCA's legacy is going down the drain, and it is because of the ghostwriter
Rachel
Mar 16, 2008 Rachel rated it it was ok
I don't have a copy of this book I'd be willing to sell or swap because I threw it in the garbage. I don't know why I keep reading VC Andrews books. They're not even written by her anymore. It's like McDonald's. Not a real feast, but it passes the times and sates the hunger and the first three bites taste good. Like reading a bad WB teen series.
Kelsey
May 22, 2008 Kelsey rated it it was ok
Let's get one thing straight. V.C. Andrews is dead, and she has been for a really long time. Her ghost writer has been writing in her name for quite awhile. Most of his books suck. But I heard that this one wasn't quite so bad, so I got my hopes up. This one was bad. I'm sad that this guy continues to ruin V.C. Andrews' good name.
  • Honour Thy Father
  • Kaitlyn
  • V.C. Andrews: Her Life and Books
  • When the Wind Blows
  • Jimmy's Game (Ruthless #1)
  • Mystic Rider: A Mystic Isle Novel
  • Blood Roots
  • Icarus
  • The Wishing Jar
  • Hell House: & Other TRUE Hauntings from Around the World
  • Fear No Evil
  • Because of You (Because of You, #1)
  • Where Mercy Flows
  • Sunny: Diary 1 (California Diaries, #2)
  • The Unfaithful Widow
  • The Concrete Grove
  • First, Do No Harm (Brier Hospital, #1)
  • Gemma
Books published under the following names - Virginia Andrews, V. Andrews, Virginia C. Andrews & V.C. Endrius. Books since her death ghost written by Andrew Neiderman, but still attributed to the V.C. Andrews name

Virginia Cleo Andrews (born Cleo Virginia Andrews) was born June 6, 1923 in Portsmouth, Virginia. The youngest child and the only daughter of William Henry Andrews, a career navy man
More about V.C. Andrews...

Secrets (2 books)
  • Secrets in the Shadows (Secrets, #2)

“I never realized that the blue sky I saw was not the soft, nurturing sky of spring, but the cold, chilling, lonely sky of winter” 12 likes
“The weight of the lie was so great it almost didn't escape my lips and barely made it to her ears” 6 likes