Start by marking “Lucky Starr and the Pirates of the Asteroids (Lucky Starr, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lucky Starr and the Pirates of the Asteroids (Lucky Starr, #2)

Lucky Starr and the Pirates of the Asteroids (Lucky Starr #2)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  1,267 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Twenty-five years before, Lucky Starr's parents had been destroyed during a pirate raid on the Terrestrial Empire. Now Lucky was a man, and an officer of the Council of Science. His ship was heavily armed, the pirates were at hand, the the time for sweet blaster vengeance was near!
Mass Market Paperback, 175 pages
Published November 12th 1977 by Del Rey (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Lucky Starr and the Pirates of the Asteroids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucky Starr and the Pirates of the Asteroids

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyI, Robot by Isaac AsimovThe Martian Chronicles by Ray BradburyThe Foundation Trilogy by Isaac AsimovStarship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
Classic Science Fiction - 1950-1959
69th out of 140 books — 134 voters
I, Robot by Isaac AsimovFoundation by Isaac AsimovThe Caves of Steel by Isaac AsimovSecond Foundation by Isaac AsimovFoundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov
Best Asimov Books
39th out of 65 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Randy
Aug 01, 2008 Randy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: SF fans
One of the series Asimov wrote back in the fifties under the name Paul French. Intended for the young adult market and during the Cold War, both the politics and the science(they were based on knowledge of the planets at the time) are a bit dated. Still a fun read.
Ckret msage

Good book, honestly I could see this book working as a movie today. The Blow gun space battle would be downright awesome. Space pirates! What more needs to be said.
Elizabeth
I LOVED this book! I wish I could find the rest of this series!
Rob
The world of Isaac Asimov's Lucky Starr is a young science geek's wildest dream come true. Imagine: a thousand years from now, the solar system's secret agents and protectors of the weak are...scientists! —Who don't mind showing off what they know!

Dr. Asimov often lamented the pernicious and ever-growing current of anti-intellectualism in American society. Was his series of young-adult Lucky Starr novels merely the public expression of an escapist fantasy universe, or did he intend to win young,
Mary JL
Dec 18, 2009 Mary JL rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Younger sf readers age 9 on up
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of Asimov
The Lucky Starr books were Isaac Asimov's first attempt to write juvenile fiction. They are quite competently written--they are by Asimov after all--but nothing really stands out in them.

Lucky and his sidekick, Bigman Jones are the two main characters, and they are not very memorable. Not bad, just--well, average.

Frankly, if I wanted my children to reads juveniles sf, I would give him or her Andre Norton or Robert Heinlein. Both of those writers are better for juveniles.

Asimov is a superb write-
Rob
Technically not the best, but it was the first sci-fi, err..speculative fiction that I ever read. It opened the door for me.
Steve
Been a long time since I have read any Asimov - hadn't realised this series existed, or I probably already have read it!

It is one of Asimov's earlier books, published even before Sputnik was launched in the age when Science Fiction had just started to take off.

The book is very much a 'boys adventure' story of the Science Council and Pirates (view spoiler) - as such it is quite entertaining. Some nice ideas, and some have even held up to 60
Adrián Sánchez
Esta saga a pesar de que apunta a una audiencia más juvenil es demasiado genial, al tratarse de una ciencia ficción algo más realista (al contrario de Fundación que se trata de un futuro demasiado lejano) las aventuras narradas también te enseñan sobre nuestro sistema solar, la trama es como una mezcla futurista de las historias de corsarios con un poco de misterio y Asimov lo hace bien, los personajes son divertidos, fácilmente se podría sacar una película de esto.
Andrew
This is part of the Lucky Starr books published by Lightening in the late 80s and I will admit they were aimed at a younger audience - that said I really do enjoy the quick and care free reading of them - yes the stoylines seem simplistic, the language dated and the characters walking stereotypes - but boy its great fun reading - come on the world council run by scientists who have heavily armed space ships - I am 16 all over again.
Gabriel Wallis
I loved reading Lucky Starr and the Pirates of the Asteroids, the second book in the Lucky Starr series. Isaac Asimov once again proves that he writes excellent science fiction. I have read many of his books over the years, and Lucky Starr and the Pirates of the Asteroids just gets added to the long list of great books written by him. As you can tell by the title, this book takes place in the asteroid field within our own solar system. Lucky Starr's adventures takes him all over the solar system ...more
Pere Sanmartí
Les històries de David Starr son aventures apassionants i amb un toc especial made on Asimov que fa que les gaudeixi especialment. Si, estan escrites a mitjans segle passat i hi ha força incongruències científiques però es gaudeix igualment. Una sèrie que no decepciona fins al moment.
Jerry
A Quickie Review

This second entry in the Lucky Starr series by "Paul French" (actually, Isaac Asimov) feels like an abridged version of previously published novel. Though the story is good, it's a bit rushed, and it seemed like some of the plot threads could have been expanded upon a bit. I have little doubt that Asimov fanatics will adore this; for those of us who are casual fans of the Grandmaster, you might want to wait until you've read all his other works before reading this one.

Content Con
Henry Uicab Canché
Acción desde el inicio, terminando con los diálogos típicos de Asimov, Bigman debió tener su propia historia.
Flavia
Too predictable
Ed
#2 in the Lucky Starr series, written by Isaac Asimov as Paul French.
A minor series about a Space Ranger to entertain young folks; it doesn't have 50 year staying power.

Lucky Starr journeys to the asteroid belt to fight the pirates that may have killed his parents. Lucky appears to join the pirates as a trick to get them to reveal where the pirate base is hidden, but he does so without the knowledge of most of those who know him, so he appears to be a traitor. Can Lucky defeat the pirates!
Nick Mould
Sci-fi potboiler I discovered in an Oxfam bin. Asimov must have dashed this one off in a couple of afternoons.
Barak
Despite the ending being pretty much foreshadowed early on in my estimation, the book was still quite enjoyable in its flowin'ess and ideas.
Remo
Segunda entrega de la saga de Lucky Starr. Maravillosa para un niño de diez años, como la primera.
Andy
ASIMOV WRITING AS PAUL FRENCH. FOREWORD ASIMOV 1971. 1ST NEL EDITION 1973. 2ND IN SERIES.
Nile
Asimov is Asimov!! though it is for kids the storyline is captivating.
Brandon
I would have really loved this at 12 or so!
Fred D
A fun book, but hard to take too seriously.
José Manuel
David
David added it
Jul 26, 2015
Marianna
Marianna marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
  • The Halcyon Drift (Hooded Swan, #1)
  • The Solarians
  • The Seedling Stars
  • Starworld (To the Stars, #3)
  • The War Against the Rull
  • The Dark Light Years
  • The Dragon Lensman (Second Stage Lensman Trilogy, #1)
  • The Brave Free Men
  • Islands in the Sky
  • Inconstant Moon
  • Sea Siege
  • Stranglers' Moon (Family d'Alembert #2)
  • City at World's End
  • The Green Odyssey
  • Wasp
  • Space Cadet
  • The Outposter
  • Brain Twister

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...

Lucky Starr (6 books)
  • David Starr, Space Ranger (Lucky Starr, #1)
  • Lucky Starr and the Oceans of Venus (Lucky Starr, #3)
  • Lucky Starr and the Big Sun of Mercury (Lucky Starr, #4)
  • Lucky Starr and the Moons of Jupiter (Lucky Starr, #5)
  • Lucky Starr and the Rings of Saturn (Lucky Starr, #6)
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)