Start by marking “A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1)

A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat (Chronological Order) #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,930 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
In the auspicious annals of crime, chicanery and counterespionage, one name towers above all the rest - "Slippery Jim" diGriz, the fabled outlaw known and feared as The Stainless Steel Rat! Now, the uncanny, untold origins of the 25th century's most canny criminal can at last be revealed.
This final volume in the saga of James diGriz explores his humble beginnings as a pett
Published September 1st 1985 by Spectra

To ask other readers questions about A Stainless Steel Rat is Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Stainless Steel Rat is Born

Wanda
Harrison breathes some new life into the Stainless Steel Rat series by going back to Slippery Jim’s beginnings. Prequels must have been a fairly new phenomenon in the mid-1980s, as the author feels the need to explain them in a foreword. How times have changed—now we have all kinds of numbering orders and it feels quite normal.

Going back to Jim’s genesis was an inspired idea. Fresh off the porcuswine farm, he is determined to get sent to jail, where he anticipates meeting some impressive crimina
Lee
Nov 23, 2013 Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple, easy to read. Nothing outstanding or deep. But if you are looking for a mickey spillane style non-brain burning old scifi, then the Rat series is for you. Very little character development yet and pretty much this book was the same story told three times.

Get into trouble, fight a bit, run away, hide, come back for revenge. x 3

Kat  Hooper
Feb 15, 2011 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

A Stainless Steel Rat is Born is a prequel to the Stainless Steel Rat series. Jimmy Bolivar diGriz is a smart and ambitious 17-year-old who feels trapped and inhibited on the backward planet of Bit O' Heaven where his parents are porcuswine farmers. Jim learned early in life that he was clever and unscrupulous enough to take what he wanted from others and, more than anything, he enjoyed planning and carrying out these little escapades. So, while his classm
Wendy
Jun 10, 2015 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have fond memories of this series from my high school days. If I recall, this wasn't the best of the bunch so I'll continue my trip down memory lane.

This short book had a lot of the strut and attitude I remember liking. I find the main character to be fun and cheeky in a satisfying way. His distaste for killing and roguish nature still amuses.

The writing is rough sometimes and it has these maddening sentence fragments that drive me up the wall. Neither overshadow the compelling elements. I g
Stephanie
Oct 09, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Iowa Canal Players put on a great comedy at this years’ Archon/TuckerCon/NASFiC. As Janice and I were leaving, she was telling me what a great spoof it was on the Stainless Steel Rat books by Harry Harrison. She said I did not get much of the inside humor because I hadn’t read these books yet. In order to correct this oversight I have extracted a couple of these novels from the farm library and started reading them.

Janice suggested I start with this one, every though it is not the first one
Conan Tigard
The Stainless Steel Rat is Born is an entertaining book, but a little weaker than the previous Stainless Steel Rat books. I think the reason for this is because Jim diGris is so young. He isn't so slippery or quite as entertaining yet. Why? He doesn't have years of confidence-building thievery behind him yet, so isn't as conceded as he is in the latter books.

Still, he is fun to read about and it is interesting to learn why he wanted to become a thief. Not just any thief, but the best in the uni
Linda I
Always nice to become acquainted with our hero's humble past. Jim wasn't born a rat, but had to discover how to become one through tutelage and loss. By purposefully landing himself in jail, Jim tries to learn from his fellow crooks but realizes only the best rats never get caught. Unfortunately, Jim accidently reveals the secret whereabouts of the most infamous and much-sought-after rat, in an attempt to show off his skills to said master rat. Now, he not only has to save his own skin but that ...more
John Loyd
Apr 08, 2015 John Loyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (1985) 219 pages by Harry Harrison

A prequel to the other Stainless Steel Rat books, this tells of the origin of Jim diGriz becoming a metaphorical rat in the concrete and uniformly drab society of the 25th century.

The story starts with Jim as a 17 year old, robbing a bank, and intentionally trying to get caught. During this action he tells of his formative years, Judo lessons, shoplifting, the worthlessness of school, until he trains to become a locksmith. A three y
Madelynp
Oh dear, dear James Bolivar DiGriz. I first read the rat books when I was in high school (the first time around). One of my students was reading The Stainless Steel Rat for President, and when I found a few of the others in my bookshelf, I was reminded of how much I enjoyed the book the first time around.

On second reading (thank you, winter holiday break!), this one is still cute, but I couldn't get over the writing. The story is still very fun, and the capers in which Jimmy involves himself ar
G.P. Francis
Jan 11, 2013 G.P. Francis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
What can I say about this? I regard myself as an overall fan of the sci-fi genre, so I picked up this book in my teens expecting to be pleased by the contents. I quickly discovered that all sci-fi is not created equal. The main character struck me as one of those uber-masculine idealisations of the author, inserted into the story. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that was quickly my impression. I found the device repulsive, and never read past twenty pages.

Perhaps having been previously spoiled by a
Andrew Breslin
I enjoyed The Stainless Steel Rat and I was looking forward to this prequel, as I was sorely in need of some literary snack food. Nothing too deep and heavy. Something fun, light, and good to read while battling a ferocious hangover. Sadly, I was disappointed. It just wasn't quite as engaging as the original. Not consistently, anyway. I was pulled in at the beginning, but found my interest waning by the halfway mark. By 3/4 of the way through it, I had to prod myself to keep reading, and I found ...more
MJH1987
Old fashioned pulpy space adenture (but in a good way). I enjoyed it but it was, as some other reviewers have pointed out, just a bunch of stuff that happens rather than a plot. Still a lot of fun. This was my gym book to read while I was on the stationary bike/elliptical - if it can keep me reading through that then it must have been doing something right.

I only realised this is the prequel about halfway through*

*I bought the 6 books in one kindle deal and this is the first book as it runs the
Станислав Атанасов
Много интересна и увлекателна книжка ... понякога леко досадна с "момчето ми" и идеализацията на връзката между "плъховете", но иначе прекрасна книжка ...
Lisa Fox
I found the book trashy, but enjoyable. It's similar to a cheap detective story. It hasn't instantly become a particular favourite of mine, but it did make me want to read the next title in the series.
An engaging read if you've always wanted to become a famous criminal. Plus, it's quite self-aware in its cheesiness, so though it isn't a full-on comedy, it offers a healthy dose of humour. Plus, sci-fi pulp is clearly the best kind of pulp.
Would I recommend it? If you're stuck for things to read a
Tris
May 05, 2014 Tris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
I first read this book as a teenager in the early 1980's and have re-read this one and the others in the Stainless Steel rat series a number of times since, including recently. For me the Stainless Steel Rat is Born is a perfect introduction into the world of Slippery Jim DiGriz, which are all a delight to read but also into the world of Sci-Fi. I should add that an interest in Sci-Fi is not a prerequisite to reading this set of books.

Finally I would like to say thank you to Harry Harrison for i
Bookwitch2016
Jun 15, 2016 Bookwitch2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Я обожнюю КСД. Хоча, як можна не любити видавництво, яке друкує книги Кідрука? Ок, можливо, я обожнюю Кідрука трохи більше, ніж КСД. Але справа не в цьому (ну може трохи в цьому теж).

Але сьогодні я хочу поділитись з вами відгуком про свіженький переклад Гаррі Гаррісона «Народження сталевого щура». Цю книгу я купувати та читати не збиралася. Ніколи! Одна річ фанатіти від жанру «меха» в аніме і геть інша читати про це книги. Фантастика про космос мене якось приваблювала не дуже. Але, як казав Майк
Nose in a book (Kate)
This is a bit of a boyish adventure – it’s in the future! in space! The young main character, Jim diGriz, decides that he is going to be a master criminal. This creates many a situation where he has to survive on his wits and make use of his slightly unbelievable level of skill at everything. Only once or twice is he caught out by the naivety of youth, which makes him a tad irritating. However, the book is touching in the right moments and thrilling in the right moments. And I enjoyed it.
Merlin
Mar 02, 2014 Merlin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Vor etwa 20 bis 25 Jahren habe ich dieses Buch gelesen und hatte es in guter Erinnerung, so dass das Wiederlesen (und eventuelle Vervollständigen der Serie) schon immer auf meiner gedanklichen Leseliste stand. Nun bot es sich sozusagen zu Recherchezwecken an und ich habe den Band endlich aus dem Regal gezogen. (Ja, tatsächlich als echtes Buch. War schon ein merkwürdiges Gefühl in der Bahn. Ich fühlte mich ein wenig wie ein Neanderthaler ;) ).

Worum geht es?

Jim di Griz marschiert an seinem siebzeh
Brian
May 07, 2016 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Stainless Steel Rat books are a bit quaint in light of how much technology has changed over the years, but they're still some of my favorite stories. This one in particular is a good mix of humor and sadness. It's always nice when you can pick up a book twenty years later and enjoy it like you did the first several times you read it.
Richard Ward
May 28, 2016 Richard Ward rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the author.
Harry Harrison flashes back to his anti-hero Slippery Jim's 17th birthday. Jim celebrates by robbing a bank and getting caught on purpose. He wants to go to jail long enough to make new criminal mentors for himself before breaking out. When this doesn't work quite like he hoped he looks for a mentor elsewhere, in an elderly master criminal called The Bishop. Eventually Jim and The Bishop find themselves on a primitive planet ruled by thugs, involving themselves in their wars. The second half of ...more
pdarnold
Weird, bizarre, wild and occasionally cheesy. Several years ago I had picked up one of Harrison's books that my nephew had (don't remember title) and that led me onto this path of crazy. Title was forgotten, but the character remained in memory. So now, I start at the beginning, the making of the rat. This would be mostly safe for YA if not for the alcohol consumption by a 17 year old James diGriz. But then it's in the future and on a different planet, so maybe it's legal there? As the title des ...more
Timothy Boyd
May 25, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another in the stainless steel rat books. They are all quick reads with alot of humor in them. The stories remain fresh and new. Very recommended, especially to teen readers or someone new to SiFi
Midnight Muldoon
I really liked this one. It had me strangely emotional at the end and contains the action and adventure I have come to expect and enjoy in the series.
Steven
Aug 25, 2014 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great origin story to a great character, I love it more each time I read it.

The title line was the last line of the book... I can't tell you how much I giggled! Love that kind of thing.
Thom
Aug 25, 2012 Thom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-series
A very good origin story, with all the standard bits (mentor, daring escape, lessons learned). The beginning was better than the end, which was just okay. Also not as high-tech as the other stories.
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 14, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really a strange but very powerful book, one that only Harry Harrison could dream up. It was vividly written yet it had depth to it that really makes you think.
Nai Wang
Sep 29, 2014 Nai Wang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best origin stories yet! Love how he came around to become the SSR where all he had was wit and not a million gadgets to get him out of trouble (or into).
Nathaniel Mathews
Apr 04, 2008 Nathaniel Mathews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, favorites
The Tale of the Rat in the beginning. This might be my favorite book in his whole saga. A must for any Harrison fan- in fact for any sci-fi disciple at all!
Joe Barborak
Mar 02, 2014 Joe Barborak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A spectacular start to a fantastic series. A must-read for people that like sci-fi, mysteries, action, and don't take themselves too seriously.
Robert Engle
Jul 09, 2015 Robert Engle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the voice used for the main character. Books like this are why I stop at library book sales more than once.
  • Lady Slings the Booze (Lady Sally's, #2: Callahan's Series, #5)
  • California Voodoo Game (Dream Park, #3)
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • The Wolf Worlds (Sten, #2)
  • The Chantry Guild (Childe Cycle, #9)
  • Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 4
  • Footrot Flats 1 (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • Shakespeare's Planet
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1955-1958
  • Sixth Column
  • The Exile Kiss
  • Empire
  • Essential Silver Surfer, Vol. 1
  • The Exiles Trilogy (Exiles, #1-3)

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G
More about Harry Harrison...

Stainless Steel Rat (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted (Stainless Steel Rat, #2)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Sings the Blues (Stainless Steel Rat, #3)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge (Stainless Steel Rat, #5)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World (Stainless Steel Rat, #6)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (Stainless Steel Rat, #7)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat for President (Stainless Steel Rat, #8)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell (Stainless Steel Rat, #9)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Joins the Circus (Stainless Steel Rat, #10)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Returns (Stainless Steel Rat, #11)