Start by marking “A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1)

A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat (Chronological Order) #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  5,359 ratings  ·  97 reviews
In the auspicious annals of crime, chicanery and counterespionage, one name towers above all the rest - "Slippery Jim" diGriz, the fabled outlaw known and feared as The Stainless Steel Rat! Now, the uncanny, untold origins of the 25th century's most canny criminal can at last be revealed.
This final volume in the saga of James diGriz explores his humble beginnings as a pett
Published September 1st 1985 by Spectra (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about A Stainless Steel Rat is Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Stainless Steel Rat is Born

Lee
Simple, easy to read. Nothing outstanding or deep. But if you are looking for a mickey spillane style non-brain burning old scifi, then the Rat series is for you. Very little character development yet and pretty much this book was the same story told three times.

Get into trouble, fight a bit, run away, hide, come back for revenge. x 3

Wendy
I have fond memories of this series from my high school days. If I recall, this wasn't the best of the bunch so I'll continue my trip down memory lane.

This short book had a lot of the strut and attitude I remember liking. I find the main character to be fun and cheeky in a satisfying way. His distaste for killing and roguish nature still amuses.

The writing is rough sometimes and it has these maddening sentence fragments that drive me up the wall. Neither overshadow the compelling elements. I g
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

A Stainless Steel Rat is Born is a prequel to the Stainless Steel Rat series. Jimmy Bolivar diGriz is a smart and ambitious 17-year-old who feels trapped and inhibited on the backward planet of Bit O' Heaven where his parents are porcuswine farmers. Jim learned early in life that he was clever and unscrupulous enough to take what he wanted from others and, more than anything, he enjoyed planning and carrying out these little escapades. So, while his classm
Stephanie
The Iowa Canal Players put on a great comedy at this years’ Archon/TuckerCon/NASFiC. As Janice and I were leaving, she was telling me what a great spoof it was on the Stainless Steel Rat books by Harry Harrison. She said I did not get much of the inside humor because I hadn’t read these books yet. In order to correct this oversight I have extracted a couple of these novels from the farm library and started reading them.

Janice suggested I start with this one, every though it is not the first one
Rebecca McNutt
Really a strange but very powerful book, one that only Harry Harrison could dream up. It was vividly written yet it had depth to it that really makes you think.
Linda I
Always nice to become acquainted with our hero's humble past. Jim wasn't born a rat, but had to discover how to become one through tutelage and loss. By purposefully landing himself in jail, Jim tries to learn from his fellow crooks but realizes only the best rats never get caught. Unfortunately, Jim accidently reveals the secret whereabouts of the most infamous and much-sought-after rat, in an attempt to show off his skills to said master rat. Now, he not only has to save his own skin but that ...more
Madelynp
Oh dear, dear James Bolivar DiGriz. I first read the rat books when I was in high school (the first time around). One of my students was reading The Stainless Steel Rat for President, and when I found a few of the others in my bookshelf, I was reminded of how much I enjoyed the book the first time around.

On second reading (thank you, winter holiday break!), this one is still cute, but I couldn't get over the writing. The story is still very fun, and the capers in which Jimmy involves himself ar
G.P. Francis
What can I say about this? I regard myself as an overall fan of the sci-fi genre, so I picked up this book in my teens expecting to be pleased by the contents. I quickly discovered that all sci-fi is not created equal. The main character struck me as one of those uber-masculine idealisations of the author, inserted into the story. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that was quickly my impression. I found the device repulsive, and never read past twenty pages.

Perhaps having been previously spoiled by a
Andrew Breslin
I enjoyed The Stainless Steel Rat and I was looking forward to this prequel, as I was sorely in need of some literary snack food. Nothing too deep and heavy. Something fun, light, and good to read while battling a ferocious hangover. Sadly, I was disappointed. It just wasn't quite as engaging as the original. Not consistently, anyway. I was pulled in at the beginning, but found my interest waning by the halfway mark. By 3/4 of the way through it, I had to prod myself to keep reading, and I found ...more
John Loyd
A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (1985) 219 pages by Harry Harrison

A prequel to the other Stainless Steel Rat books, this tells of the origin of Jim diGriz becoming a metaphorical rat in the concrete and uniformly drab society of the 25th century.

The story starts with Jim as a 17 year old, robbing a bank, and intentionally trying to get caught. During this action he tells of his formative years, Judo lessons, shoplifting, the worthlessness of school, until he trains to become a locksmith. A three y
Merlin
Vor etwa 20 bis 25 Jahren habe ich dieses Buch gelesen und hatte es in guter Erinnerung, so dass das Wiederlesen (und eventuelle Vervollständigen der Serie) schon immer auf meiner gedanklichen Leseliste stand. Nun bot es sich sozusagen zu Recherchezwecken an und ich habe den Band endlich aus dem Regal gezogen. (Ja, tatsächlich als echtes Buch. War schon ein merkwürdiges Gefühl in der Bahn. Ich fühlte mich ein wenig wie ein Neanderthaler ;) ).

Worum geht es?

Jim di Griz marschiert an seinem siebzeh
pdarnold
Weird, bizarre, wild and occasionally cheesy. Several years ago I had picked up one of Harrison's books that my nephew had (don't remember title) and that led me onto this path of crazy. Title was forgotten, but the character remained in memory. So now, I start at the beginning, the making of the rat. This would be mostly safe for YA if not for the alcohol consumption by a 17 year old James diGriz. But then it's in the future and on a different planet, so maybe it's legal there? As the title des ...more
Tris
I first read this book as a teenager in the early 1980's and have re-read this one and the others in the Stainless Steel rat series a number of times since, including recently. For me the Stainless Steel Rat is Born is a perfect introduction into the world of Slippery Jim DiGriz, which are all a delight to read but also into the world of Sci-Fi. I should add that an interest in Sci-Fi is not a prerequisite to reading this set of books.

Finally I would like to say thank you to Harry Harrison for i
Simon Forward
I'm not generally a fan of prequels and I don't remember feeling any differently when I first read this the first time round. But this time I get to read it as though it was an actual beginning of a series and it'll be interesting to see if it holds up as such.

As an individual book, it's a cracking read as we're introduced to young Jim DiGriz and follow his exploits after a less than spectacular plan to get himself incarcerated in one of Bit O'Heaven's penal institutions in hopes of learning fro
Kiera Beddes
Genre: antihero, sci fi, satire
Summary: The story behind the story of Jim diGriz the cleverest thief in the 25th century.
Response: I am, in my heart of hearts, a bonafide nerd. I love sci fi, I really do. I love it because there is so much going on beneath the futuristic descriptions and the fantasy. There are real insights into human nature, politics and morality. It's always an interesting read. In addition, Harry Harrison creates a clever, brilliant, prideful character that you can't help bu
Terry Quirke
I got my first introduction to Jim DeGriz way back in the 1980's via the British comic adaption in 2000AD, and carried a candle fondly for many years for the character and his mis-adventures. So it was with some excitement that I finally launched into reading the books, and decided to start with the sequential number one, rather then the order the books were published in.

And what did I find? Whilst the humour, escapades, out of the frying pan and into the fire nature of the comics were there, th
Rick Brindle
The first book in the series, but not written first. This tells the story of how Jim DeGriz became the stainless steel rat, how he started his life of crime and how he met his mentor, The Bishop.
This is the second time I've read this book. First time about 20 years ago. It was better the first time. Sure, it's quick, pacy, light hearted, but it reads like it was written in a hurry, a bit like the latter Sharpe novels, and a few too many repetitive phrases and words for a man of Harrison's calib
Alexey Shpakov
The book is easy and entertaining reading. It doesn't even try to pretend to be a serious book. It will certainly occupy you for a week or so and will give you some reading pleasure. However, there won't be anything special to remember after you finish reading. Just a well written, entertaining adventures novel with a pinch of humor.
Iliyan Bobev
I can only interpret this as a parody - if that was not the intention, remove a star. Every element of the book is very naive. The characters are one dimensional, the pace is uneven, the story barely makes sense. It's full of stereotypes and cliches, and on top of all that, it's loaded with sexism.
Hellread
For a master con-man, the story is a bit too simple. The obligatory twists fall flat. Few characters, though decently characterized. Lacking world description with some boring events that neither the characters nor the reader care about. Feels dated, though not much.
Quick and easy to read. I liked the main character Jim, the rest of the characters don't really matter. They are either not around long enough or are just a means to an end for Jim.

You can def. tell its a Harry Harrison novel with the combo, of scifi, humour and satire.
Steven
A great origin story to a great character, I love it more each time I read it.

The title line was the last line of the book... I can't tell you how much I giggled! Love that kind of thing.
Eric Lawson
The first book chronologically in the Stainless Steel Rat series but the sixth book published. The Stainless Steel Rat is James Bolivar diGriz, also known as Slippery Jim, and he's finding life on the farm restrictive and boring. He's smarter than all his classmates and uses his intelligence and skills to get the bullies off his back and gain some respect.

Deciding that he needs to go to jail to improve his skills he plans a failure of a bank robbery. But things don't work out just the way he pl
Pete Murphy
Another fun read of the light hearted sci fi type. Only problem for me is that there are a lot of books in this series, it is going to take me forever to work through them all.
Brent
I passed on this books all through high school. Never could get past the title. Anyway, I finally tried one. Can't say I'm a big fan but this one was kind of fun.
Birgit
James Bolivar diGriz lebt auf einer Stachelspeckschwein-Farm auf dem Planeten Bißchen-Himmel, und ist zu intelligent für das Schicksal, das ihm bestimmt wurde. Also bildet er sich selbst zum Verbrecher aus - aber mit Stil! Als er dabei an seine Grenzen stößt, macht er sich auf die Suche nach einem Gleichgesinnten seines Niveaus. Nach einem ärgerlichen Zwischenfall wird er schließlich fündig. Leider haben die Gesetzeshüter davon Wind bekommen, und James muss alle Register seines Könnens ziehen, u ...more
Nai Wang
One of the best origin stories yet! Love how he came around to become the SSR where all he had was wit and not a million gadgets to get him out of trouble (or into).
Joe Barborak
A spectacular start to a fantastic series. A must-read for people that like sci-fi, mysteries, action, and don't take themselves too seriously.
Robert Engle
Loved the voice used for the main character. Books like this are why I stop at library book sales more than once.
Vitalijus Sostak
Reminds me of my school years!
Such a pleasure to re-read these light entertaining sci-fi novels again :]
  • Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)
  • Callahan's Legacy (Mary's Place, #2) (Callahan's Series, #7)
  • California Voodoo Game (Dream Park, #3)
  • The Wolf Worlds (Sten, #2)
  • Lost Dorsai (Childe Cycle, #6)
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • Politician (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #3)
  • Shakespeare's Planet
  • Fantastic Voyage II:  Destination Brain
  • The Halcyon Drift (Hooded Swan, #1)
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1963-1966
  • The Exile Kiss (Marîd Audran #3)
  • The Boys' Book: How To Be The Best At Everything
  • Lilith: A Snake in the Grass (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #1)
  • Tintin in the New World
  • Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G
More about Harry Harrison...

Stainless Steel Rat (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted (Stainless Steel Rat, #2)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Sings the Blues (Stainless Steel Rat, #3)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge (Stainless Steel Rat, #5)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World (Stainless Steel Rat, #6)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (Stainless Steel Rat, #7)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat for President (Stainless Steel Rat, #8)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell (Stainless Steel Rat, #9)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Joins the Circus (Stainless Steel Rat, #10)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Returns (Stainless Steel Rat, #11)
The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4) The Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4-6) The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (Stainless Steel Rat, #7) The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World (Stainless Steel Rat, #6) The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge (Stainless Steel Rat, #5)