Start by marking “Race, Evolution, and Behavior: A Life History Perspective” as Want to Read:
Race, Evolution, and Behavior: A Life History Perspective

Race, Evolution, and Behavior: A Life History Perspective

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Book by Rushton, J. Philippe
Unknown Binding, 358 pages
Published January 1st 2000 by Charles Darwin Research Institute (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Race, Evolution, and Behavior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Race, Evolution, and Behavior

Ryan Seidemann
Abysmally misinformed assessment of human variation. Rushton relies on 19th century science that has been proven to be biased or outright falsified to support his outmoded notions of racial differences. It is shocking to think that this sort of junk science is still finding an audience today. The idea that this book encapsulates mainstream scientific thought on the concepts of human variation is disappointing. Whether Rushton admits it or not-an he does not-this book represents a poor use of sci ...more
Karpur Shukla
One of the more famous books underlying modern racism, and an excellent case study of where talking about science without understanding it can lead you. He completely misapplied the (now-outdated anyway) r/K model of reproductive adaptation. I think Prof. C. Loring Brace puts it much better than I could: "Race, Evolution, and Behavior is an amalgamation of bad biology and inexcusable anthropology."
Mike
I read an abridged version of this book. I don't know the field, but based on some other readings (The Bell Curve, Charles Murray), I am assuming his facts are correct. I don't agree with his interpretation of those facts, per se (that race differences are all evolutionary), but if the differences are true, we still have to deal with them. What does a society do with this information?
James
This was one of the books I read in the first year of the Wednesday Study Group that is now in its eleventh year. Ruchton's book describes hundreds of studies worldwide that show a consistent pattern of human racial differences in such characteristics as intelligence, brain size, genital size, strength of sex drive, reproductive potency, industriousness, sociability, and rule following. However, I found his use of statistics questionable and, given the incendiary nature of his conclusions, would ...more
Psilo Crosse
This book is a breath of fresh (open and honest) air to the discussion of race. Well written and well researched.
So Hakim
An interesting-yet-controversial book about human race and its implication. Some of the theses may be attributed to cultural upbringing, however, there are also robust ones when it comes to biology. All in all a pretty interesting take on the nature of racial difference.
Daniel Ramírez Martins
Even though from the beggining to the end the author was one-sided, it was a great book to read to know and understand more about the biological and cultural differences between races with very reliable sources.
Jason
Excellent book. A scientific exposition of the factual biological differences in the various races of humans. Well worth the read for anyone wishing to understand race reality and how we relate to each other.
Jonathan
Very interesting, but the studies used to derive the statistics are so taboo that we can't even examine their accuracy. Either way, I like that it makes you think--and wonder.
DocHolidavid
What can you say about this book that won't get you in trouble?
Eric
These days, there is the tendency to attribute all human differences to culture, while downplaying, or outright denying, that biology can play any role. This book goes to the other extreme, however, by essentially throwing culture out the window. The author attributes to genetics virtually every difference in intellectual achievement and responsible citizenship among the races. In reviewing the evidence from human evolutionary history (especially in arguing that harsher physical environments led ...more
Spectraz
Spectraz marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Efi
Efi marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Jim
Jim is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2015
Evgeniy
Evgeniy marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Brian Connelly
Brian Connelly marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Another666
Another666 marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Tycho111000
Tycho111000 marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Garrett Broadbent
Garrett Broadbent marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
John Smith
John Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Sidney
Sidney marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Amiri Barksdale
Amiri Barksdale marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Rasse, Evolution Und Verhalten: Eine Theorie Der Entwicklungsgeschichte Psychology S.G. Psychology