Henry Works

Henry Works (Henry)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Without Henry, wildflowers would go unwatered in dry weather and rivers would have no crossing stones. Without him, who would bring news of coming storms?
Henry works, but no one seems to notice.
“You’re not doing anything today,” his friend says. “Come fishing with me.” “Not today,” says Henry as he digs up a healing plant for a neighbor. Though he never gets paid, Henry wo...more
Published August 30th 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers

L- Lisa
This picture book explores the world of work for writer and philosopher Henry David Thoreau. The reader shadows Henry for a full day of exploring nature as he walks to work, through town and past Walden Pond. Henry greets many townspeople during the day, including Alcott, Hawthorne and Emerson. Characters are bears, dressed in the period clothing in the 1860 town of Concord, MA. The endpapers are detailed maps of the town with Thoreau’s path mapped out. The illustrations are collage like using g...more
Carolynne
Oct 27, 2008 Carolynne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: CLM, Barb
Shelves: picture-books
Extraordinary canine Henry (based on Henry David Thoreau) walks to work, but on the way waters some plants and collect others,makes crossing stones in a brook, warns a neighbor about a marauding fox, delivers mail for the limping postmaster, captures some woodchucks (from RW Emerson) and lets them out in the woods, warns Mrs. Alcott of possible rain, plants some strawberries in Hawthorne's garden, all before heading to his cabin near Walden Pond. Helps introduce Thoreau to young children.

Cheryl in CC NV
Second 'Henry' story I've read but not the last. Love the revelation at the end. Text, illustrations, design, endpaper maps, author's note, all fit together to make a perfect package - this series would be a great gift for a grandchild.
The Book Maven
What a sweet little way to introduce kids to Henry David Thoreau! I have just one question! What ambitiously idealistic parent intends to introduce their four year old to Henry David Thoreau!?!

If the author feels so strongly about Thoreau, I think his/her dedication would be better served by writing a Chapter novel for older children--then he could have fleshed out Thoreau a little more as a person, rather than reducing him to an anthropomorphic bear.

The really off-putting thing about this pict...more
Taryn
I love the illustrations, their unique graphic style.

I love learning about Henry David Thoreau, both through the story and the additional information at the end of the book. And it manages to teach us about Thoreau without being teachy.
Brandi Smith
This historical fiction picturebook is intended for children ages birth to 5 years(N). The author uses a bear named Henry to represent Henry David Thorough in a way that is appropriate and accessible to very young readers.
I gave this book 4 stars. It is part of a series of books.I like the idea of infusing a real history lesson into a work of fiction so that young children can begin to gather historical information. I was inspired with two ideas for activities while reading this book. One idea w...more
Kaethe
We'll cheerfully and eagerly read any more Henry books Johnson cares to write.

If I were a real critic, I'd have something more to say about this. But I don't. Bear? Dog? It's fun either way.
Dolly
Nov 28, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is another interesting tale about Henry David Thoreau in the series featuring a bear named Henry. The illustrations are colorful and the narrative is short. It helps to explain a little of Henry's Transcendentalist thinking in a way that children can easily understand. We really enjoyed reading this story together and I love sharing a bit of the history of the area near where my hubby and I grew up.
Jeana Wert
After reading Henry Works, i want to read more books by this author. I really enjoyed it and i thought it was very appropriate for young children because it contains a lot of lessons. I liked that on every page, there was a black and white image of Henry above or below the words on the page. I really liked that Henry was doing different things to help, whether it was watering flowers, or telling people it was going to storm. It was a cute book.
Kristin Hamley
Sweet, gentle book about a bear, based on Henry David Thoreau, who walks to work. By the end, he has been helpful to the other animals and plants around him and has returned home to write. Very sweet -- some of its loveliness feels lost on my kids, but it feels worth reintroducing as they mature into thoughts of the authors who write their books.
Q_Barb
Interesting.The fourth in a series by Johnson on Henry David Thoreau, the illustrations are particularly interesting and unique Why a bear I don't know. But great use of timeline,etc. I can't remember the Picasso timeline or period, but here are definitely nuances of that period.
Robert Farmer
This was a good book based off of Henry David Thorough. It teaches kids his type of thinking and good lessons but in a simplified way. The art was interesting and not overdone but was well suited for this book. This would be a good book for all children to read.
Tracy
D.B. Johnson you are a man after my own heart! The fact that you even know what a comfrey root looks like, the fact that Henry walks through the woods, waters milkweeds, finds huckleberries. Plus I still love your illustrations. I want to be Henry.
Natalie
D.B. Johnson's illustrations are captivating: they remind me of angular shards or reality, like memories. I love the Henry series, based on the life of Henry David Thoreau. Our 3-year old loves these too, and the ones with the CD have gotten a lot of use.
Mary Crytzer
I enjoyed reading this book. I was anxious to find out where Henry worked, which we eventually do. The art work was a bit different in that with some pages Henry was black and white while everything else had color. In some other pages he was in color.
Korinne Sackela
It was a cute way to introduce something that could be taught as a lesson in class. Given that it's a true story,I think kids would like it. It also makes it more fun that the characters are animals in the book as opposed to their human selves. Really cute!
Ryan Miller
This picture book wonderfully redefines the nature of work, from the perspective of a writer (specifically Thoreau). For emerging writers, "Henry Works" can offer inspiration for how to develop ideas and gain experiences that can lead to interesting writing.
Jean-Marie
D.B. Johnson's "Henry" picture books are a perfect introduction for young readers to Henry David Thoreau and the ideas he shared in his book "Walden."
Kelly
Inspirational to this writer. Henry the bear leaves home and takes a walk, interacting with friends and nature, in order to come home and start writing.
The Styling Librarian
I love every "Henry" book by D.B. Johnson celebrating life and connection to nature.
Judy
Nov 21, 2012 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children in grades 1 through 5
A delightful tale of a remarkably considerate bear who thinks of the needs of others.
Leah
Henry Works by D.B. Johnson (2004)
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Magritte's Marvelous Hat Henry Hikes to Fitchburg Henry Builds a Cabin Palazzo Inverso Henry Climbs a Mountain