Start by marking “The Lost Soul Companion: A Book of Comfort and Constructive Advice for Black Sheep, Square Pegs, Struggling Artists, and Other Free Spirits” as Want to Read:

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  86 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The ultimate survival guide for starving artists, writers, performers — and anyone whose dreams can’t be contained by an office cubicle.

Filled with down-to-earth advice and sustenance for your most far-flung dreams, The Lost Soul Companion is the perfect guide for anyone grappling with the darker side of creativity.

A source of support when your day job gets you down, a ref
Published September 4th 2001 by Dell (first published January 20th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Soul Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Soul Companion

The Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonGirl, Interrupted by Susanna KaysenThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Mind
254th out of 383 books — 469 voters

More lists with this book...

Leibling
Dec 03, 2013 Leibling rated it really liked it
I found this book in some obscure mall store that no longer exists. I bought it purely because the title was long and I found it incredibly amusing (and so, OK, I probably do consider myself to be a square peg and a free spirit).
I didn't know what to expect from this book, but upon reading it, I was surprised to find that I could relate to this woman. It's hard making it in a world that feels so different from your own. Sometimes you want to go on a murderous rampage, sometimes you want to commi
Cindy
Stephanie
Ok, so the full title of this book is The Lost Soul Companion: Comfort and Constructive Advice for
Struggling Actors, Musicians, Artists, Writers, and Other Free Spirits and I received it for free from a lovely friend who was moving and needed to down-size. She actually gave me a whole pile of books, but this is the only she said anything about as the author is from Bloomington, a town where she used to live and a place I'd been to visit with her.

At first, I wasn't really sure about this book as
Amanda
Dec 07, 2008 Amanda added it
Recommended to Amanda by: stolen from Leibling's shelf ,via a comment by Ginnie.

Though I originally stole this book from Ginnie's shelf, and marked it as "to read," see the link--it's why I will never read this book. Thank god Cindy posted some excerpts. Because, Jesus, I really have no desire whatsoever to read some stupid book of psalms, anecdotes, and cliches. GACK! (Every time I see the word "gack" I think of Doonesbury and the comic that Anne Marie colored for my dad.) (Actually, no, maybe it reminds me more of the cat one. Shit.
Andi Is Awesome
Mar 10, 2016 Andi Is Awesome rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperbacks
This is a lovely book & easy to read. Lovely drawings intersperse the text too.
Becky
This is an interesting little book - a bit light on truly meaty help but still a pleasant snack of quick thoughts on the creative life and its many ups and downs - especially the downs. The thing that struck me the most was the author's honesty and how that honesty was not off-puting in the least but rather quite reassuring and soothing. I will hang onto this book at least for awhile and I will read her follow-up book to this one.
Colleen
Jan 19, 2016 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
I'm so glad the author wrote this book. She could easily have given in and believed it wasn't possible and many readers would have missed out on her message of self love and self belief. This book carries a message of hope and light at the end of the tunnel. There are funny and great practical suggestions. Great for anyone who is a free spirt, an artist, sucidal or suffering from depression.
Jessica Oswald
May 23, 2014 Jessica Oswald rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot in my early 20's but it seems to have lost some meaning since then. A good book to prop yourself up on when you're feeling low. The advice about buying health insurance is dated, too many people in situations similar to hers these days would have no chance in buying private insurance.
Graham
Apr 19, 2009 Graham rated it really liked it
While this book is very arrogant, it does what it sets out to accomplish - letting a lost soul know that they are not as alone as they think they are. Fun, light read.
Michelle Marie
Jun 27, 2013 Michelle Marie rated it really liked it
I didn't think I belonged, but now I know I do. This is a wonderful book for a left-brained creative soul such as myself.
LemontreeLime
Jun 02, 2009 LemontreeLime rated it liked it
Very nice, sometimes a little dark, sometimes a little odd, but a very nice book.
Jan 11, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A wonderful book that brought me some relief in a difficult time.
Kerrie Chabot
Great idea, but just a good "Toilet Read"....

Leeloo
Jul 24, 2013 Leeloo rated it really liked it
I really loved this one.
bibliogrrl
Jan 17, 2008 bibliogrrl rated it did not like it
meh.
Bryn
Bryn is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2016
Lana
Lana marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Kylie Peake
Kylie Peake marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Auburn Langley
Auburn Langley marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Magenta Periwinkle
Magenta Periwinkle rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
Taylor
Taylor added it
Feb 11, 2016
M
M marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Jessica Free
Jessica Free marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Joan Morin
Joan Morin rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Laurel
Laurel rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Dani Boudreau
Dani Boudreau rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015