Start by marking “The Dictionary of Failed Relationships: 26 Tales of Love Gone Wrong” as Want to Read:
The Dictionary of Failed Relationships: 26 Tales of Love Gone Wrong

The Dictionary of Failed Relationships: 26 Tales of Love Gone Wrong

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  13 reviews
FROM A TO Z—26 WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR LOVER (OR HAVE HIM LEAVE YOU...)

When Meredith Broussard celebrated her 26th birthday and realized that she’d survived exactly 26 failed romantic entanglements, she reckoned it was high time to dissect this topic that had filled her life with so much . . . angst. With the help of 26 of today’s hottest young female writers, Broussard gets to
Published December 18th 2007 by Three Rivers Press (first published May 27th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Dictionary of Failed Relationships, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dictionary of Failed Relationships

Raquel
I like some of the stories e.g. FAQ, Savage, Threesome, X and Zero.
I did not like others, e.g. Ambivalence, Pain, Yuppie.
Jennifer Day
I absolutely adore this anthology. Some stories are sweet, some are intense, some are uproariously funny, some will make you cry, some will make you angry and some will make you remember parts of your own failed relationship attempts. But all of them make you think. No matter where you are in life; whether you're in love, newly single, in a long term relationship, in a new relationship or even if you've been single and happily so for a long time I promise that you will find at least one story in ...more
Marcella
Some of the stories are over the top. All are dated in technology (lots of reference to answering machines). But more or less its an okay collection covering all sorts of failed relationships - romantic, platonic, familial. I think different stories will resonate with different people. The standout stories for me are below with the rest very take it or leave it. Sadly the whole reason I read the collection was to read the Heidi Julavits story, which was far too pretentious for me.

The Good:
* FAQ
Jackie
Apr 03, 2008 Jackie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every female
I didn't think that I would like this book because I'm not much into the whole "chick literature" scene, but it was very amusing. Each short story focused on a different aspect of relationships and why they usually fail. I particularly liked the "Call Hell" story. I don't think there is a woman out there who can't relate to most of these stories. It's a great book to have when you just break up with someone or are thinking of a past boyfriend/girlfriend. I also particularly enjoyed the stories w ...more
Zarya Rubin
Mar 30, 2007 Zarya Rubin is currently reading it
Despite the unfortunate title, this is a great little collection of short stories written by fabulous contemporary women writers on the subject of relationships and their myriad pitfalls, from A-Z!
From the snippy epithets in "FAQ" to Susan Minot's deft turn in "Green," to the achingly awful "Call Hell" these stories are real, raw, thought provoking, and page-turners all!
Tina
not the greatest book I ever read by far, but it was ok. some stories i enjoyed, some were kinda stupid and others hit really close to home. over all not something i would suggest purchasing, but borrow it if you know someone who has it.
Adam
Jan 02, 2009 Adam marked it as to-read
I mooched (bookmooch.com) this because DFW put one of these stories on the reading list in his last syllabus. When it showed up I realized that I don't (and now can't) know what he was trying to convey or illustrate with it.
Vic
I knew a few of the authors in this anthology, but not all of them. Some of the stories I skipped, but it's kind of a neat conceit and I'd recommend it as a library read.
Janet
Came across this when searching Suzanne Finnamore's name on the library catalog. Since I enjoyed Split so much this might hold some little breakup nuggets as well!
Julia Hilton
This is a collection of short stories; about five of them are worth reading and only two were really enjoyable.
Bveselsky
The second to last chapter, "Yuppie," was definitely my favorite. Hilarious.
Barbara
The stories are uneven, but some are really good.
Nicole
Some were better than others.
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Tracy
Tracy added it
Nov 04, 2014
Andrea Frazier
Andrea Frazier marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Tamra Jacoway
Tamra Jacoway marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014