Start by marking “The West Wing Script Book” as Want to Read:
The West Wing Script Book

The West Wing Script Book

This volume contains six scripts from the hit NBC show The West Wing - winner of 17 Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Drama Series. The show has won the Producers Guild Award, Directors Guild Award, Writers Guild Award, Screen Actors Guild Award, Golden Globe, Humanitas Prize and the Peabody.
Published July 16th 2002 by Newmarket Press (first published June 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The West Wing Script Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The West Wing Script Book

Rachel C.
Loved, LOVED The West Wing (the Sorkin years). Besides being smart entertainment, it really helped me hold on to my political idealism through the soul-destroying Bush administration.

Aaron Sorkin is my god. "Two Cathedrals" just gives me chills. You can tell how much his writing drove the show - even in this bare bones form, the personalities and the action come blazing through. While I don't generally condone recreational drug use, if that's what Sorkin needs to write like this, I say let him h
Graham Milne
Mar 22, 2013 Graham Milne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aaron Sorkin has famously remarked that a writer's job is to captivate you for however long he (or she) has asked for your attention. Consider us captivated, sir. The West Wing Script Book is a selection of the best teleplays from the series' first two seasons (including the masterful "Two Cathedrals," which James Lipton once described without too much hyperbole as "the finest hour of television ever produced"). These then are the polished, elegant drafts of those hours - the crisp, perfectly pa ...more
Runa
Great book. Seen all the episodes, but it was still great to read Aaron's short-but-witty little intros to each script. Also loved his dedication, especially, "And Tommy did some things". Great snippet of a conversation he had with Martin Sheen, haha XD
I dunno, it was a good read, but I do wish we'd had more background info, you know, random trivia, what was going through his mind as he wrote it.
I also noticed some errors, so I take it these weren't the edited scripts? (Seeing as Charlie appea
T
i feel like i'm in a minority of people who enjoy reading scripts for recreation.

i loved the show & figured that there was no reason i wouldn't enjoy reading the shooting scripts themselves & i was right. it's like watching the tv show when you don't have a tv; you can hear the episodes play out as you read each meticulously crafted line. there are also chapters where sorking explains rather candidly, what was going on during the writing & production of the episodes contained in the
Pauline
Mar 04, 2016 Pauline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pour les fans de la série seulement.
Le livre comprend les scénarios de 6 épisodes emblématiques des saisons 1 & 2, avec quelques commentaires de Sorkins en début de page.
J'ai beaucoup aimé lire ces scénarios, et même si Sorkin dit au début du livre que finalement ses mots ne valent rien sans la réalisation, les acteurs et les décors, on se rend quand même compte de la puissance de ses mots et de ses dialogues !

Ann
Jan 22, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love, love The West Wing. So when I got the two script books for Christmas, they were immediately on my to-be-read pile. I've seen the episodes so many times I could hear the voices in my head, which I guess is a little scary. But an amazing book of scripts.
Adih Respati
Jul 30, 2007 Adih Respati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 02-fiction
Gift from my friend Raymond and Evie. Contains eight episode from Season 1 and 2 --Pilot (Season 1) and In The Shadow of Two Gunmen (2 parts, Season 2). The introduction slipped in a short conversation between Sorkin and Sheen --funny conversation.
Jack
Aug 12, 2010 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That Sorkin can write! I read these scripts and watch this show over and over again. I hope one day to be able to write this well, but for now all I can do is imitate, and poorly at that.
George
Jul 27, 2011 George rated it really liked it
Sorkin at his best vol. 1
Reece Roberts
Apr 19, 2014 Reece Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great red for all TV lovers and want to be writers.
Anthony
Jul 14, 2009 Anthony rated it it was amazing
This book is a collection of scripts. A great read, shows how good the writing to this series was.
Carmen
Carmen rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2012
Bill Collopy
Bill Collopy rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2012
Melissa Betterly-Sherman
Melissa Betterly-Sherman rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2015
Celestial
Celestial rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2013
Urvi
Urvi rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2012
Annie Kelly
Annie Kelly rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2015
Greg Chung-Yan
Greg Chung-Yan rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Keith
Keith rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2015
John Goode
John Goode rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2011
Keaton Anderson
Keaton Anderson rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015
Samantha Cole
Samantha Cole rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Craig
Craig rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2008
Cindi
Cindi rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2008
Debbie Thurman
Debbie Thurman rated it liked it
May 15, 2011
Robyn
Robyn rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2012
Shane
Shane rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2008
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
Travis
Travis rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
  • The Black Book of Hollywood Beauty Secrets
  • Coffee at Luke's: An Unauthorized Gilmore Girls Gabfest
  • Neptune Noir: Unauthorized Investigations into Veronica Mars
  • The Kennedy Wit: The Humor and Wisdom of John F. Kennedy
  • What's a Christian to Do with Harry Potter?
  • Serenity Found: More Unauthorized Essays on Joss Whedon's Firefly Universe
  • Real Lives: Eleven Teenagers Who Don't Go to School Tell Their Own Stories
  • How to Write About Music: Excerpts from the 33 1/3 Series, Magazines, Books and Blogs with Advice from Industry-leading Writers
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Script Book Season One Vol. 1
  • The Things That Matter: What Seven Classic Novels Have to Say About the Stages of Life
  • Dogma
  • The New Joys of Yiddish: Completely Updated
  • The Seinfeld Scripts: The First and Second Seasons
  • Kosher Nation: Why More and More of America's Food Answers to a Higher Authority
  • Pooh and the Psychologists
  • Author Unknown: Tales of a Literary Detective
  • The Nature of the Book: Print and Knowledge in the Making
  • Queer Eye for the Straight Guy : The Fab 5's Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better
Aaron Benjamin Sorkin is an American screenwriter, producer and playwright, whose works include A Few Good Men, The American President, The West Wing, Sports Night and The Farnsworth Invention.

After graduating from Syracuse University with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Musical Theatre in 1983, Sorkin spent much of the 1980s in New York as a struggling, largely unemployed actor. He found his pa
More about Aaron Sorkin...

“President Josiah Bartlet: Good. I like your show. I like how you call homosexuality an abomination.

Dr. Jenna Jacobs: I don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President. The Bible does.

President Josiah Bartlet: Yes, it does. Leviticus.

Dr. Jenna Jacobs: 18:22.

President Josiah Bartlet: Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I had you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Chief of Staff Leo McGarry insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important 'cause we've got a lot of sports fans in this town: Touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you? One last thing: While you may be mistaking this for your monthly meeting of the Ignorant Tight-Ass Club, in this building, when the President stands, nobody sits.”
8 likes