Start by marking “Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories, #3)” as Want to Read:
Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories, #3)

Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories #3)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,465 Ratings  ·  277 Reviews
Storytellers know — just as they have for hundreds and hundreds of years — that everyone enjoys a good, scary story!

Alvin Schwartz's Scary Stories 3 joins his other popular collections of scary folklore, Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark and More Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark, to give readers spooky, funny and fantastic tales guaranteed to raise goose bumps.

Who is the
Published 1991 by Scholastic, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Scary Stories 3, please sign up.

Raven It depends on your age Abigail and how much you like to be creeped out or scared. If you are younger and do not like horror very much you will likely…moreIt depends on your age Abigail and how much you like to be creeped out or scared. If you are younger and do not like horror very much you will likely be scared by some of the stories. If you are older and love horror, these stories are creepy and funny. (less)
Raven There are three. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark #1, #2 and #3.

Anna  Gibson
Jun 18, 2011 Anna Gibson rated it it was amazing
The "Scary Stories" trio was one of the more infamous books at my elementary school's library - everyone wanted to read them, and for good reason - they're fun, spooky, and the illustrations are both beautiful and downright terrifying! The stories are a collection of folktales, ghost stories, and campfire stories, meant to be read aloud with a group of friends. However, they're perfectly scary even if you're just reading them to yourself on a rainy afternoon. The stories within these three books ...more
Kristi
Feb 05, 2009 Kristi rated it it was amazing
One of the most memorable series of books from my childhood. The stories in the books aren't particularly scary; some are humorous, some are eerie, some will give a kid chills...some are not even original to Mr. Schwartz, and are the sort of urban-legend stories you hear around the campfire growing up.

No, what makes these spectacular books stand out as fine examples of kindertrauma is Stephen Gammell's most excellent illustrations.

Some of them still give me heart palpitations, even as an adult.

I
Emm ☿ Synklaire
May 25, 2016 Emm ☿ Synklaire rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes weird, creepy books, older kids 10+ who like horror
The year is 1991. The editor to the third installment of traumatic childrens' series, Scary Stories, is out to find the illustrator. They walk deep into the bog, past the trees on which grow the faces of lost souls. And then...
The Editor - "Hello?! Who's there!? Oh, it's you! We've got another book for you to illustrate!"

The Illustrator - *rises from the bog in a haze of blood and seaweed* "Tsk. Again? Ugh... haven't we already created a generation of insomniacs?"

The Editor - "Well... yeah. But
PurplyCookie
A poltergeist that specializes in unscrewing bottle-caps...a couple who bring home a strange-looking little dog from Mexico, only to be told that it's a sewer rat...suddenly vanishing friends, relatives, and animals...a Texas girl raised by wolves- -yes, it's a new collection of horribilia: chillers, ghost stories, and urban legends, retold in an appropriately matter-of- fact way.

Schwartz gives most of the tales a modern setting, provides hints for storytellers, discusses variants, and--as in tw
Sean Torres
Apr 15, 2016 Sean Torres rated it it was amazing
This book is THE BEST SCARY BOOK. i was scared of turning the page and see whats gonna pop up. i got scared a few times and by a few i mean 5 times. I think its a good book to read in the night because u can scare ur siblings, there is parts where it says *yell*.
Samantha Pedroza
Aug 18, 2015 Samantha Pedroza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
This will never not be one of my favorite series! I may not be as spooked like I was as a child but they are classic! Also the mention of my hometown is pretty cool too! I love the old illustrations but Brett Heloquist is one of my favorite illustrators ever and I can't complain if he did the new art!
K.C.
Jul 16, 2012 K.C. rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Schwartz, Alvin. (1991). Scary stories 3: More tales to chill your bones. New York: Harper Collins.

Categories: Controversial books, supernatural stories, folklore and legends, short stories, series

26 traditional and modern-day scary stories are presented in this book. The gruesome topics - death, ghosts, eating body parts from a dead person, dying from fear, nightmares - have made this book and the others in the series targets for frequent challenges. In the back of the book are notes about the
Josiah
Jun 11, 2009 Josiah rated it liked it
Alvin Schwartz has done an excellent job of maintaining the quality of his scary stories in this third volume to the series.
In each of these books, there are some funny stories, some folklore songs, some stories that are just more interesting than truly frightening, but in each book there are also one or two or three tales that really ARE very scary, and make my flesh run cold. In this particular collection, "Harold" and "The Red Spot" give me chills, but it is the haunting "Maybe You Will Rem
Dolly
This is a collection of strange, scary, shocking, gross and funny stories for older children. The tales presented are an interesting mix of old and new and our girls loved them. I was less enthused about the collection, although a good storyteller could have a lot of fun with these stories.

The illustrations were scarier than the tales, in my opinion, but overall it was an interesting compilation. We've also read Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.
Victoria Rios
Jan 03, 2016 Victoria Rios rated it liked it
Want a story to chill your bones this would be perfect. Who knows if they are real or fake. But you will have nightmares reading this . I was scared when I read this but if I like it you will too. Scary stories has a twist to it because you will never hear the end to the story . This book is one of the many made. This book is great and I recommend this book to people who like horror.
Tiffany Apan
May 01, 2014 Tiffany Apan rated it it was amazing
Those of us born in the 1980s I think had it pretty good. We got all the good Nickelodeon shows (You Can't Do That On Television, Are You Afraid of the Dark, All That, Roundhouse, all the cool Euro-anime-esque cartoon shows like Spartakus), Ninja Turtles, My Little Pony, Rainbow Brite, books like Wait Til Helen Comes and Dollhouse Murders. All those were awesome and at the risk of sounding uber condescending, I feel for the kids who grew up without all that we 80s and 90s kids got. But what real ...more
Lizbeth Cruz
Jun 16, 2011 Lizbeth Cruz rated it it was amazing
l think that they are oson because they tell scary storesm and they you tell them at the night and you see scary stores you never hured off.abd you see l the cryer and you see a big store about the women with a death screaming for money:)and ther is a store about a voice in the adect ther are to childring in the atect and ther are traying to help.:)and ther is a store about clinkity clink.and that is a store about a pearson clink-clink.:).thert is a store aboust the bed the winbow.these store is ...more
Dahlia
Feb 24, 2015 Dahlia rated it really liked it
Some of these are all right, others are just marvellous. My favourite was always Harold.
Jason
Oct 10, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it
and more more scary shit from my boy scouts yrs
Taylor Baldwin
Oct 09, 2014 Taylor Baldwin rated it it was amazing
scary stories 3

Rosemary and her mom are in Paris.Her mothers head hurts so they look for a hotel.
They find a nice hotel with yellow walls blue carpet and white furniture. Her mother un packs
And lays down for nap but the are trying to get out of there.They have gone through much craziness but Rosemary said it's not good to travel sick.

Rosemarys mother complains and complains that her head hurts.So Rosemary goes to the hotels docter. To check on her mother while he is checking on her Rosemary is t
Katy Jane
Sep 08, 2014 Katy Jane rated it really liked it
1. At 28, these are no where near as scary as when I was 8, 9, 10 years old. I would stay up at night thinking about these stories and freak myself out.
2. I am reading them again because this month is banned books month and this is a book that is challenged almost ever year. Reasons being: insensitivity, Satanism/occult, unsuited for age group, violence, religious viewpoint.
3. These being banned make little sense to me because they are a collection of folklore that have been around for forever.
Kayla
Apr 24, 2013 Kayla rated it really liked it
I started reading this book to my cousin and my sister. They both really enjoyed the book and retold stories to my family. My personal favorite story was "The Bus Stop" I've heard the story told in a variety of different ways, so it was nice to read this version. I was surprised to learn that a similar story was told in ancient Rome. I look forward to reading the rest of the Scary Stories series during the summer on a camping trip.
Pk Devan
Feb 28, 2014 Pk Devan rated it it was amazing
Sometimes when you think everything is ok, it can change within a second! Scary Stories 3 is a collaboration of bone chilling short horror stories. After reading this book you will want to always have a light on! My favorite short story in the book was Harold. It's a story about two farmers who build a creepy scarecrow made to look like a human. After weeks Harold starts to move things and it gets to the point where he is walks around behind their backs! It is a creepy story that will make you ...more
Melanie
Nov 17, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading these stories. I really liked how there was more than one short story. I thought it was an easy book but I liked being surprised at the end of each story. I also liked the way there were a variety of stories and not just the same. I would recommend this book to any one who likes scary stories.
Matthew W
May 29, 2009 Matthew W rated it it was amazing
This book (and the other books in the "Scary Stories" series) had a huge influence on me as a child. May future generations of children also be influenced by the "Scary Stories" books!!
Grayson Peterselli
im nine years old i read i didnt sleep for days but it is one of the best books to tell in the dark i love it and is terrified by it enjoy it!!!!!!!!!
Chuck Engelhardt
Apr 01, 2014 Chuck Engelhardt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I like to read juvenile books and this was one. I really enjoyed this book; mostly because it was filled with nostalgia, stories I'd heard and told in my youth. It's not particularly scary, but then neither were the stories when we shared them around a campfire with other 13-year-olds those years ago. Still, they were fun. I especially liked the reminder of the hearse song in the end. Man, had that been a long time. Words varied slightly, but they all came back.

It was also a wonderful
Ella
Nov 17, 2014 Ella rated it really liked it
This book is a great family book. I will be talking about one
story called "head lights".

-THE SETTING-
the setting is mainly a road on the way to a girls house and a high school parking lot.

-THE MAIN CHARACTER-
The main character is a high school girl that seems to be around 16 or 17

-THE PROBLEM-
The problem is how a man follows this girl home and is flashing his lights every two minutes because
he sees a man in the back of her car with a knife.

-THE THEME-
I learned that you need to be extremely safe
Erica
I just love these books so much!
Kevin Lucia
Dec 19, 2011 Kevin Lucia rated it it was amazing
I have the first two. Someday will have to grab this one, the third...
Alix Estrada
Apr 06, 2015 Alix Estrada rated it it was amazing
The 3rd book is just as good as the 1st book.Although I havnet read the 2nd book I know the book is just as good as both.It has so many short stories that actually scare you when you read it.If you want to get even more scared you should read it in your room alone and with the lights turned off,with only a flashlight.Although some stories may sound stupid they actually turn out to be a little terrifying.This book will make you want to never put the book down.I recommend to everyone who likes hor ...more
Raven
This review is for all three volumes of Alvin Schwartz's Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. I read all the books together, one right after another. This is also how I read them when I was a little girl. I loved these books now just as much as I did then. Half of the horror in the books come from the writings, and the other half come from the beautifully horrifying illustrations.

These are the horror stories that kept me up all night and that I loved very very much. Sadly, on the 30th anniversary
G.B. Lindsey
Jul 17, 2014 G.B. Lindsey rated it really liked it
Wow, talk about trauma.

One appalling day about two-odd years ago, my sister and I stood utterly frozen in the bookstore in a godawful hive-minded fury (i.e., what my sister defines not as angry but as "shangry plus") when we saw that they had dared to re-release this trilogy WITHOUT THE ORIGINAL STEPHEN GAMMELL ILLUSTRATIONS. Unspeakable is the rage that resulted, the high-pitched squeaks and the flailing that nearly knocked books from their shelves, and oh god, the SPUTTERING. We clung to each
Matt
Oct 22, 2014 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 14-1
I recently started scouring amazon, looking for these books read religiously as a kid: scary stories to tell in the dark. whenever possible - assuming some fiend hadn't already stripped the library clean of them - I would take them out for weeks and share them with friends. this one in particular was always a delight.

what's the big deal? simply, the illustrations. they are the creepiest, strangest drawings. the stuff nightmares are made out of. back in those elementary days the writings were th
Nono Qiu
Jan 29, 2013 Nono Qiu is currently reading it
I read Scary Stories 3. This book is about a lot of little scary stories that are been made up. Alvin Schwartz and Stephen Gammel wrote it. There are many little scary stories that can chill your bones. I like one of the stories called Such Things Happen. It was about a witch taking a revenge for her dead cat that was killed by a man who lived nearby. The witch kept causing trouble for the guy, but the witch died at last. My favorite part of the story was the part that the guy killed the witch. ...more
"The Trouble" True? 3 27 Dec 06, 2012 09:56AM
Halloween, horror lovers... 2 18 Dec 06, 2012 09:45AM
  • More Bones
  • Short & Shivery: Thirty Chilling Tales
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Nightmares: Tales to Make You Scream
  • Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories
  • Bony-legs
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • Scary Stories
Alvin Schwartz was the author of more than fifty books dedicated to and dealing with topics such as folklore and word play, many of which were intended for young readers. He is often confused with another Alvin Schwartz, who wrote Superman and Batman daily comics strips and a novel titled The Blowtop.
More about Alvin Schwartz...

Scary Stories (3 books)
  • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories #1)
  • More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #2)