Start by marking “Tell Me a Scary Story... But Not Too Scary! (Book & Audio CD)” as Want to Read:
Tell Me a Scary Story... But Not Too Scary! (Book & Audio CD)

Tell Me a Scary Story... But Not Too Scary! (Book & Audio CD)

Stated First Edition and First Printing. Fine book, with the notation that the CD envelope at rear pastedown has been opened and the CD presumably has been played. Both are, of course, present. See scans. Lacks the dustjacket. New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2003. Square quarto, glossy boards illustrated by James Bennett, who did the interior work as well. Fine book, ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me a Scary Story... But Not Too Scary!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Me a Scary Story... But Not Too Scary!

Nicolas Saldana
Oct 28, 2009 Nicolas Saldana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny-horror

I thought this book was HILARIOUS!I mean when are sub read it I was about to FALL OVER.
Christen
A pretty good spooky (but not too spooky) story, I liked the parts where it stops to ask if he should keep going. I just wish the story itself was more clever.
Joolissa
Jan 02, 2015 Joolissa rated it liked it
A nice book and read along CD. I actually wish there was an audio version without the parts asking if it was too scary to continue and a description of the frightening masks as the narrator's performance is quite entertaining and I'd like to listen to it separately from the book. However, wishes and fishes and all that, overall it's an interesting little fright of a book that would be appropriate for budding spooky story readers. It breaks the tension quite often by asking the reader if it's too ...more
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Interest Level: 3-5
Grade level Equivalent: 3.3
Lexile Measure: 560L
Guided Reading: O

The book starts off with a father telling his son a story about when he was younger and a scary new neighbor. The man drops a marble that looks like an eye and this makes the young boy go to the neighbors house to return it, but he falls into the basement and sees scary masks, finding out that the neighbor makes scary Hallow
Mrs. C
Nov 03, 2007 Mrs. C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holidays
Third graders were scared (but not too scared!) by this spooky Halloween tale. Listening to the CD while looking at the pictures made it much more fun. We talked about how the background music, voices, pictures and text all combined to make the story scary. Then at the end, we felt just like the main character -- a little silly and a little relieved to find out that our imaginations got the better of us!
Skylar Burris
Sep 23, 2009 Skylar Burris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
We've listened to this one on CD in the car going on 47 times now. Is it strange that my three-year-old son wanders off by himself several times a day and performs dramatic readings of this story, which he has virtually memorized line by line? I'm not sure what fascinates them so much, but both of my children love this tale. It is very well read, and the illustrations are bold and interesting. It's scary...but not TOO scary.

Caroline Petty
Oct 09, 2010 Caroline Petty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: seasons-weather
This book is a must have for Halloween. It's fun and scary but not too scary so that children can't enjoy themselves. I loved the fact that on every few pages the author asks questions such as "Is it too scary for you" or "should i keep going"? It really gets children into the suspenseful Halloween spirit of the season. It also teaches children that good authors draw their readers in and make them not want to stop reading. It's a good lesson in the craft of writing.
Sarah Adamson
Oct 28, 2014 Sarah Adamson rated it it was ok
Apparently this was too scary for me. I skimmed it after my daughter chose to read it at bedtime and I couldn't face reading it! I'll try again with the cd in the daytime and see if it might work for her though as she has no fear!
ZZ
Jan 27, 2008 ZZ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All boys and girls.
My mother bought me this book today - we have not read it yet, but I think I will like it. I will report back soon with my review and rating!

My friend Morrigan read this to me the other night - it was only a little scary. I did like it.
Lesley
Dec 08, 2015 Lesley rated it it was amazing
The title really says it - it hits that sweet spot for little kids who love scary stories but are probably too young and nightmare-prone for most of them. The page with all the eyeballs on it is a huge hit. I've read this to 5 and 6 year olds and they love it. Have't listened to the CD.
Tara Blue
We really really did not dig this book.
Then there is the wonky issue of... sure lets teach kids to follow a stranger home, and if there are massive red flags its probably just them having fun, no need to run o.O
Beth
Sep 03, 2011 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, halloween
The new neighbor, Mr. Neewallah, drops a marble that looks like an eye. The boy tries to find out what is going on. There are lots of scary costumes and he learns that his neighbor scares people for a living.
Angie
Sep 22, 2008 Angie rated it it was amazing
Scary, but not too scary book! Extra fun when you look at the book while the cd plays. Carl Reiner does an excellent job narrating. My boys were a little scared, but couldn't wait to turn the page!
Dani
Oct 28, 2009 Dani rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I thought it was fantasy because if you were walking and you saw a eye on the ground that would be fantasy it should have blood
Meghan
Jul 10, 2009 Meghan rated it it was amazing
As far as good kid books go, my kids loved this one. We got it with the audio CD and we turn off all the lights and listen to it in the dark. Very well done and like it says... not too scary!
Kari
Oct 30, 2012 Kari rated it really liked it
This a fun Halloween book I read to my 3rd - 5th grade students almost every year. They enjoy it, even though most have heard it several times.
Vj
Jun 12, 2013 Vj rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Halloween read-aloud. Better yet, have the children listen to the CD with Carl Reiner reading it. It's much more effective.
Marilyn
It is a good story. I keep it in my high school classroom for the big kids to read when done with their work.
Becca
Oct 23, 2013 Becca rated it it was ok
Fun to read out loud, but it just doesn't work for me. It feels too contrived, especially the last page.
Beronica
Oct 26, 2014 Beronica rated it it was amazing
We enjoyed it! I especially liked the audio of the story because he narrated well as the grandfather/ boy and neighbor.
Lisa Delacruz
Lisa Delacruz rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2012
Michelle Tempted By Books
Oct 12, 2014 Michelle Tempted By Books rated it really liked it
The pictures are oddly cute, funny, and frightening all at once.
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2016
Annmarie
Annmarie rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Misty Gonzales
Misty Gonzales rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
MrsMalone_emmie
MrsMalone_emmie rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2011
Mandy Leblanc
Mandy Leblanc rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2013
Jaime
Jaime rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2014
Literacy Tweets
Literacy Tweets rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2014
  • Todd's TV
  • Pumpkin Heads
  • Mortimer's First Garden
  • The Halloween Play
  • Marsupial Sue Presents "The Runaway Pancake": Marsupial Sue Presents "The Runaway Pancake"
  • The Monsterator
  • How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum
  • I Need My Monster
  • While Mama Had a Quick Little Chat
Carl Reiner is an American actor, film director, producer, writer and comedian. He has won nine Emmy Awards and one Grammy Award during this career. He has the distinction of being the only person to appear on all five incarnations of The Tonight Show. He is best known for his work in Ocean's Eleven, Ocean's Twelve, and Ocean's Thirteen.
More about Carl Reiner...