Start by marking “The Four Temperaments” as Want to Read:
The Four Temperaments

The Four Temperaments

The spellbinding story of a father and son, both married, who fall in love with the same alluring ballerina.
Oscar Kornblatt has been a first violinist with the New York City Ballet for so many years that he scarcely notices the throngs of eager young dancers who fill the ranks of the corps de ballet. But Ginny Valentine catches his eye, and when he comes to know her he be
Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Four Temperaments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Four Temperaments

Mar 16, 2010 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So it was an interesting read, full of a weird series of illicit affairs and twists in the plot that I didn't see coming. In a bizarre way this book was kind of beautiful, the writing and story were like a ballet with a good gentle flow that included a crescendo in the story that finally broke into a wild moment where everything changed and slowly ending in an almost sad and haunting conclusion.

So overall its was weirdly good.
Jan 12, 2010 Liss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kelsey
Again and again as I read this heart-wrenching tale I thought of Anna Karenina. The authoress might not quite have Tolstoy's finesse with words but her story is flawless. An adulteress affair where two and two don't so much make four as they do five, or six, or even eight.

An excerpt from the review by Adriana Trigiani on the back states, "Ginny Valentine is a love object you won't soon forget, every good woman's nightmare, and every man's fantasy." I'm not certain of the truth of the latter - bu
Sue Corbett
Gradually built to compelling plot then fizzled out again as if the author wasn't sure how or when to finish, eventually wound it up satisfactorily but had by then lost momentum
Mary Jo
Jan 15, 2016 Mary Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gritty book with realistic (not necessarily likeable) characters caught up in a situation that affects an entire family. Liked the ballet/music references.
Jun 18, 2012 Trisha rated it it was ok
Shelves: family-drama
I thought this book was rather ordinary. There wasn't anything about it that would make me recommend it to anyone. So um, I guess that means I wasn't a big fan? Hehe. I cannot ever imagine returning to it for a second read, so that says something too!

It was about a middle-aged guy who can't accept he's getting older, and develops this sort of infatuation with a young dancer his orchestra plays for. It's kind of a depressing story, I guess, but I wouldn't call it fundamentally passionate or tragi
Dec 14, 2014 Dawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A racy little story, with an easy to follow plot line. If you like ballet you will love this book.
May 03, 2008 Coral rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If we could give ratings in half-star increments, this would be a 3.5 instead of a 4. I really liked how the novel's focus kept going back and forth among the main characters...But Ruth's actions late in the novel seemed out of character for her and didn't feel true.
Oct 27, 2008 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A mildly engaging, light beach-read about a family caught up in an illicit relationship with a young dancer. Attempts at symbolic meaning made it a slightly more interesting read than your average beach book.
Gin Tadvick
May 28, 2013 Gin Tadvick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story - loved the connection to the Balanchine Ballet. Could almost picture Ginny Valentine - dancing through life without concern for the lives left in her wake!
Mar 15, 2007 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2003
Named after Balanchine's ballet. A ballet dancer has a relationship with the first violist of the orchestra then falls in love with his son.
Marianna Monaco
Nov 23, 2011 Marianna Monaco rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
A family saga - the impact of a tempestuous young ballerina on the lives of an orchestral musician and his family. Quite a ride!
Jessica Hineman
Oct 22, 2012 Jessica Hineman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this before and liked it very much. I am reading again for a refresher.
Jun 25, 2011 Susan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Colchester Library Book Sale - June 25, 2011
Feb 13, 2013 Kaylan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
pretty easy read.
Gretchen rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Brenda added it
Oct 04, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Joy added it
Sep 10, 2016
Sherri added it
Jul 26, 2016
Jennifer Stolzenberg
Jennifer Stolzenberg marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Joy Gilfillan
Joy Gilfillan rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Corey Klauder
Corey Klauder marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Katie marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Mary Rolando
Mary Rolando rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
M rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2016
K. Welch
K. Welch rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Heidi rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Adeniran Temitope
Adeniran Temitope marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Amy added it
Feb 24, 2016
Amy Linquist
Amy Linquist marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
I live in Park Slope, Brooklyn and many of my novels take place here. But my new novel takes place in New Hampshire, and I have woven into it a historical component: the tragic story of Ruth Blay, who in 1768 was the last woman hanged in the state. When I read about Ruth, I was fascinated and horrified in equal measure, and I knew I had to write about her.
I was educated at Vassar College and Col
More about Yona Zeldis McDonough...