Start by marking “Recalled To Life (Dalziel & Pascoe, #13)” as Want to Read:
Recalled To Life (Dalziel & Pascoe, #13)

Recalled To Life (Dalziel & Pascoe #13)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  896 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
It was a crime of passion in onc of England's great houses, an open-and-shut case. But thirty years later, when the convicted nanny is freed, then spirited off to America before she can talk, Yorkshire's Superintendent Dalziel retums to the scene of the crime with Inspector Pascoe, determined to dig up the corpus delecti he investigated a generation before. Did the wrong a ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 551 pages
Published January 1st 1993 by Thorndike Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Recalled To Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Recalled To Life

Larraine
Mar 21, 2016 Larraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reginald Hill died in 2012, and even though there are plenty of wonderful authors, I find that I truly miss his Dalziel & Pascoe series. Andy is everyone's favorite curmudgeon. Warren Clarke, the actor who played Andy Dalziel in the British television series, died in 2014. He did a masterful job. I'm hoping to find the series and start at the beginning since it played intermittently on PBS.

This book dates from 1992 and reopens a 1963 case when Andy was still in uniform. A local member of th
Claudette
May 18, 2009 Claudette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dalziel in America--this one is laugh out loud funny. The plot is straight forward but complicated by a fairly large cast of characters spanning more time than is usual in a Dalziel/Pascoe book.
Kirsty Darbyshire

Writing up notes on each book in this series is getting a bit pointless and probably pretty tedious for anyone reading. Hill's a master storyteller and surprises me everytime with the inventiveness of not just his plots but of the way he narrates these stories.

I think this book draws a lot on Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities but I'm not qualified to comment on that angle. Pascoe stays in Mid-Yorkshire looking into a 1963 murder case. The surviving murderer has just been released from prison. Dalzi

Welwyn Katz
Sep 09, 2010 Welwyn Katz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This really is a great one, if you love Dalziel and Pascoe. I truly enjoyed seeing the Fat Man trying to adjust to New York, and I think Hill must have had some fun with the alternating viewpoints, moving between Britain and USA, and deciding exactly how much of a Crocodile Dalziel he could make out of the Fat Man. The mystery is a very solid one. I didn't guess. Usually I do, so this pleased me very much. Good characterization, problems in the Pascoe household that must have happened after an e ...more
Jon
Jun 08, 2016 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not often I mark a mystery down because it's too complicated, but that's where I am with this one. An already complex traditional locked-room, country-house mystery gets mixed up with the CIA, MI-5, characters whose names change, and characters with multiple sleeping partners and jealousies. Add to this parallel investigations by Dalziel and Pascoe in alternating chapters, life stories of the characters before the event, and descriptions of their lives for 15 years after the event, and it all ge ...more
FM
I took this out of the library and then realized I had read it before years ago, but I couldn't remember the details. I'm glad I re-read this one. It's a complicated story and I had to go back several times to make sure I got all the characters straight.
I always enjoy the characters in Reginald Hill's series and I love the way he writes. I was so sorry when he died in 2012 that he wouldn't be writing any more of the Dalziel & Pascoe books.
If you like British mysteries, give these a try. Th
Felicity
It took me a while to get in to this one and I would have given it 3.5 stars.

In 1963 Ralph Micklewaite was hung for murdering Pam Westropp and the nanny he had an affair with was put in jail. 40 years later she is released from prison and an inquiry begins to determine if the wrong person was hung. Meanwhile Dalziel secretly does his own investigation and ends up in America.

The basic idea was good but I felt it rambled a bit and that the solution was obvious by the end. The characters were well
Therese B
Mar 13, 2016 Therese B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england
I read this book at the invitation of The Mystery Club. It was the author of the month of May. Good reading. Brittish and funny. Story involves a detective and his assistang....Dalziel and Pascoe......It is full of humor and also a lot of suspense. It is a story of a previous inspector that Dalziel wants to vidicate on an old case....It involves the wealthy and the nobility and an American Nanny that was imprisoned for a crime she did not commit. Dalziel got to the USA to speak to her and really ...more
Chrystyna
Jan 24, 2016 Chrystyna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recalled to Life by Reginald Hill - very good

I always forget just how good Reginal Hill's writing is until I pick up one of his novels.

This is the 12th Dalziel & Pascoe book (I haven't read them all, but those I do are read in order) and they improve as you go. The first couple I read, I really didn't like. They were set in the 1970s and in accordance with the time, they were horribly sexist.

This one brings us to the 1990s, but also looks back to 1963, the height of the Profumo Scandal and a
Balthazar Lawson
With most crime series there is inevitably the book that looks back at an old case and Recalled To Life is the history case in the Dalziel & Pascoe series. I'm familiar with the series but this is the first I've read. It was OK and that was about it.

The writing was confusing and all over the place, making it difficult to follow the story. One had to go back and read parts to understand what was happening. In the end there were many unanswered questions. So much so as to make it not an enjoya
Kate
Jan 26, 2013 Kate rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"It was a crime of passion in one of England's great houses, an open-and-shut case. But thirty years later, when the convicted nanny is freed, then spirited off to America before she can talk, Yorkshire's Superintendent Dalziel returns to the scene of the crime with Inspector Pascoe, determined to dig up the corpus delicti he investigated a generation before. Did the wrong aristocrat hang? Dalzieland Pascoe find decades-old clues that implicate a member of the royal family. When one of their pri ...more
Diana
Jun 03, 2015 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2015
I'd forgotten what a pleasure it is to read one of these Dalziel and Pascoe mysteries. I found this one, tucked up unread on the shelf, like an unexpected gift.

Hill's characters have depth, his plotting is intricate, and he provides many twists and turns not to mention somersaults and backflips on the way to solving the mystery. This one involves a murder from 1963 which is being reinvestigated officially by the police, and off the books by Dalziel. It kept me guessing until the very end.
Colin Mitchell
A old case were Dalzeil had been a young detective in 1963 at Mickledore Hall. Two are convicted of murder and one is hung but did they do it? Why are the secret services both in England and the USA interested. It transpire on of the convicted had been having an affair with another who was a double agent for GB and the soviets. Good story and Dalzeil is out of his comfort zone with a trip to New York and Virginia. The perp dies of cancer and the woman leaves prison after 27 years.
Harry
Mar 13, 2016 Harry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was more like a 3.5 stars. A well written mystery and well crafted plot that keeps you guessing to the end. The characters are interesting, gritty, and smart. One negative is the sex scene with the fat detective which doesn't seem to fit at all. It's like the editors made him put it in and a short reprise at the end, like in a Bond film. I guess when you write that many books you have to have some formulaic content.
Janet
Sep 24, 2012 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This audio book was read by Brian Glover, who plays Dalziel in the television series. While Glover does Dalziel's and Pascoe's voices (and the other males) well, his women's voices leave a lot to be desired. Also, Glover rushes through the non-dialogue parts so that they come out as matter-of-fact. This is not the first audio Dalziel and Pascoe I have listened to and the pattern has been the same.

It's a complicated story, one that I found difficult to follow at times, but my favorite part was An
Jules Jones
[2006-12-31] A woman convicted of murder thirty years ago is released from prison, amid suggestions that she was unjustly convicted. Dalziell was involved in the case as a very young detective, and is convinced of her guilt -- but even more concerned that his now-dead boss is about to be stitched up as the villain of the piece. He sets about investigating both the past and the present, in a case that some would rather see disappear quietly... Highly enjoyable, even if it's so convoluted it's dif ...more
Lisa Stammers
Jul 07, 2015 Lisa Stammers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous instalment in this wonderful detective series. The mystery is interesting,the characters are well drawn and the Fat Man is laugh-out loud funny. Bring on the next one!!!
Stacey
Mar 02, 2014 Stacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am going to miss Reginald Hill sooooo much.
Ned Thacker
“For any true-born Yorkshireman, after Sheffield it was Africa. Alright, there was the cordon sanitaire of the White Peak, whose open acres might cushion the shock for a while, but in no time at all you were unmistakably into that nowhere place called the Midlands, through whose squeezed-out diphthongs the Cockney cacophony could be clearly heard.” Confusing plot, unravelling an old locked room mystery, but who cares with writing as comic and non-PC as this?
Richard
Jan 21, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it
Dalziel's first case is brought back as the perp gets released from prison and threatens to 'tell all' to the media. The solution takes Dalziel to Colonial Williamsburg (!) which added greatly to my enjoyment. A complicated and involved plot, however, the resolution is satisfying.
Susan
Feb 16, 2014 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, library
An old, politically sensitive murder case is re-opened, and Dalziel revisits the past in defense of his former boss and mentor. Dalziel's side trip to New York and Williamsburg Va, was particularly amusing.
Susie
Jul 21, 2009 Susie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thirty years after a crime, one of the accused is freed because there is now some doubt as to whether she wss guilty. She returns to the US where she is followed by Dalziel.
Some parts were not clear to me.
Rog Harrison
Dec 05, 2008 Rog Harrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this was the third time I had read this and I enjoyed it much more than his more recent novels which I have re-read this year.
Mimi
Oct 27, 2008 Mimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with all other Dalziel & Pascoe books I've read, I am surprised with the whodunit, and I laugh at Dalziel.
Patricia
Jul 08, 2009 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hill has insights about how we return from tragedies in which we think we bear some blame.
Judie Holliday
Not his best - a bit of a fairy tale and very complicated by the end.
Joan
Aug 09, 2008 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three is the top mark I give to mysteries. Love the Pascoe and Dalziel series.
Donald
Apr 13, 2016 Donald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Damn, it had been too long. Forgot how good these get
Vera Steine
The end is still too drawn out, but the plot is fantastic.
Julie
May 27, 2011 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Overly complicated. Parts remain a complete mystery to me!
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • A Sleeping Life (Inspector Wexford, #10)
  • A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul (Inspector Singh Investigates #2)
  • A Whiff of Death
  • Beggars Banquet
  • The Glimpses of the Moon (Gervase Fen, #10)
  • The Only Game
  • Cold is the Grave (Inspector Banks, #11)
  • The Brading Collection (Miss Silver, #17)
  • Winter Frost (Inspector Frost, #5)
  • A Blunt Instrument (Inspector Hannasyde, #4)
Reginald Charles Hill is a contemporary English crime writer, and the winner in 1995 of the Crime Writers' Association Cartier Diamond Dagger for Lifetime Achievement.

After National Service (1955-57) and studying English at St Catherine's College, Oxford University (1957-60) he worked as a teacher for many years, rising to Senior Lecturer at Doncaster College of Education. In 1980 he retired from
More about Reginald Hill...

Dalziel & Pascoe (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • A Clubbable Woman (Dalziel & Pascoe, #1)
  • An Advancement of Learning (Dalziel & Pascoe, #2)
  • Ruling Passion (Dalziel & Pascoe, #3)
  • An April Shroud (Dalziel & Pascoe, #4)
  • A Pinch of Snuff (Dalziel & Pascoe, #5)
  • A Killing Kindness (Dalziel & Pascoe, #6)
  • Deadheads (Dalziel & Pascoe, #7)
  • Exit Lines (Dalziel & Pascoe, #8)
  • Child's Play (Dalziel & Pascoe, #9)
  • Under World (Dalziel & Pascoe, #10)