Gardenias for Breakfast

Gardenias for Breakfast

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  644 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Her Grand Lady spoke these words when Abby was just a girl, spending the summer in rural Louisiana, surrounded by an extended, loving family. She's been listening carefully ever since.
Now Abby is raising her own family thousands of miles away. And even though Hawaii might seem...more
Published January 14th 2005 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Gardenias for Breakfast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gardenias for Breakfast

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversThe Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta JacksonAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversThe Master's Plan A Novel About Purpose by Stephany Tullis
Christian Chick Lit
90th out of 412 books — 412 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Giver by Lois LowryTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
LDS Book Club Reads
317th out of 339 books — 193 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
If only I had the option to give zero stars. Trite, sentimental, predictable plot.
Kim
I could relate to this one due to my relationship with my grandmother so that is why I rated this one as I did. I liked seeing how Abby slowly realizes that the memories we've built up in our minds about people and places often turn out to be very much glorified. I think that is a very natural response when we're trying to hold onto good memories and block out bad ones, and this book portrayed that well. I loved the fiery, independent attitude of the grandmother one minute with the apologetic, l...more
Leah
Mother and daughter bonding story.

Abby has the great opportunity to drive her brother's expensive SUV across the US from Washington to Georgia (his family's going on a business trip to Europe and when they get back to the States they want to drive up the east coast). She's excited for living in Hawaii has given her a bout of homesickness for the mainland and her Grand Lady. She brings along her 12 year old daughter, Hannah, so she can meet Grand Lady and have the experience Abby had when she was...more
Candace
This was an interesting read for me. I was buoyed by Gunn's Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen series in adolescent and teen years so to read something of hers that wasn't affiliated with those characters was odd at first. I feel like the description is a little misleading. I didn't feel that Grand Lady crushed Hannah's spirit, even though the incident ended really well and was what Abby was hoping for all along. I thought there was going to be a more revealing secret when Grand Lady was talking t...more
JoAnn
I was asked to read this book by some women at church. I hold Christian fiction to a higher standard.
Unlike some people I was not pulled in by the first sentence, but by the mention at the end of the prologue that Grand Lady had said something to crush Hannah's spirit and that that was the day the storyteller, Abby, had found her story.
The misunderstanding that crushed Hannah's spirit was such a ridiculous issue that I can only ascribe it to the fact that Hannah is in the throes of puberty. And...more
Fonda
How can I resist a story that begins with the quote..."Everybody has a story. You listen to that story, Honeygirl, and your story will come find you."?

Wonderful book that took me less than 24 hours to read and yet is taking me days to digest. I can't stop thinking about how mothers and daughters and their stories affect each other so deeply. Even our fears are born of some 'life event' that we may not even remember without the Lord's prompting.

A story of the everyday happenings in a family that...more
Mindy
Abby's childhood summer in the south with Grand Lady was a blessing and a fairytale - one that she so wanted her daughter, Hannah, to experience. But the trip from Maui to Louisiana was expensive, and there was no way they could afford it. But she could dream and pray and wish. When her prayer is answered, Abby and Hannah take a trip of a lifetime - not just a road trip but a relationship journey. Not everything is as you remember from when you are little, and sometimes it can give you insight a...more
I loved this book.

..."Everybody has a story. You listen to that story, Honeygirl, and your story will come find you."? And so the book begins.

A mother and daughter fly to the states from Hawaii and set off on a cross country drive to visit their "Grand Lady" in Louisana. The trip brings guardian angels, self awareness, realizations, and long kept secrets to life. Heart issues are dealt with and the bond between them is strengthened as a result of the trip. The book represents the strong bond t...more
Heather Milburn
I grew up reading Robin Jones Gunn's Christy Miller series. I always LOVED those books and remember waiting with baited breath for each one to be released.
When she converted to writing adult novels, I was very excited and enjoyed several of the books she wrote. This one, however, was so slow and uninteresting. I forced myself to stick it out, which I generally don't do if I feel it's not worth the time. It also had a ton of grammatical errors that the editor failed to catch, which distracted me...more
TJ
This is a good book for moms of daughters, especially those who have mother-daughter struggles in their families and want to break the cycle. I'm lucky and blessed that my mom and I have overcome that problem in our family, and my own experience with forgiveness, seeking to understand and be understood, and finding the magic while overlooking the clay feet of our relatives (uh, including my own!) was similar to what Robin writes about.

Good book for those gals who want to 'put on their big girl b...more
Julie Barrett
gardenias for breakfast by robin jones gunn
a daughter and her mom on vacation from Hawaii, come to Seattle and with her brothers van head to see the US, on their way to have the daughter meet
the grandmother in Louisiana for the first time. they get to experience a lot of new things, snow, birth of a llama, death of a dog, getting her brothers car
to Louisiana, desert and other terrains, car problems,
they also get to bond while on this trip staying with other family members for a night as well.
Anna
I loved this book! I love Gunn's descriptive language and felt as if I were a fly on the wall throughout the entire mother-daughter adventure. I laughed, I cried, I made mental notes for my future...haha. I totally recommend this to anyone who loves reading about travel, family ties, and relationships! Even though there wasn't any romance, it wasn't missed because of the intriguing plot and interesting characters!
Melissa
This is an easy read with a powerful message if you are ready to hear it! Talks about the interesting relationships between mothers and daughters and how it affects you as an individual as well as your relationship with your children. Powerful message is inferred through out! Thought provoking in the context of a fiction story.
Julie

Travel and relationships. :) I do, however, agree with other reviews that say Hannah's voice is too young for a twelve year old. I'd put her more as a sheltered nine year old. My daughter was sheltered as a homeschooler, but still knew those things at nine.
Danielle
This book was a great tribute to families and the intricacies of relationships over the years. We are all shaped by what has come before but it doesn't necessarily define who we are now... it's just part of who we are.
Michele
This was a sweet, gentle book that explored the multi-generational relationships of three women. I found myself in its pages. I am so glad I discovered it. Wonderful little book. I read it in 3 hours.
Kim
My mom loaned me this book - interesting that it was about mothers/daughter relationships. Basically about forgiveness - a very good lesson to learn.
Suzanne
Good, clean, not fun. Nothing great ever happens. Just a story of a mom and daughter taking a road trip to go see "Grand Lady." Lame.
Heather
This book is a beautiful story about the intracacies of relationships, especially between mothers and daughters.
Anne
Very good book; gained some real family insight while travelling cross-country with a mom and daughter.
Doreen
Great work of fiction, involving a woman's relationship with her daughter, and mother, and healing.
Joan
Gardenias for Breakfast is a novel that takes a mother and daughter (Charlotte and Hannah) on a road trip to Louisiana. They live in Hawaii but are given the chance to do a favor for Charlotte's brother by driving his SUV to Louisiana for him. She decides it would be an opportune time to introduce her daughter to extended family and to experience the same passion she had for the south and for her Grandmother with whom she spent much time as a young girl. Charlotte has many memories of being with...more
Steph
I enjoyed the light fluff of this novel about love and grudges between generations of women in a family spread across the US. Lovely images and characters make bearable a book with trite plotting and a 12-year-old daughter who is unbelievable at best.

No 12-year-old, no matter how sheltered, thinks "apparatus" is a curse word that means donkey, and no reader buys that scene as the soul-crushing dilemma of her character arc, or her mother's. In the end, the themes of forgiveness and identity are...more
Kelly
I liked the basic story, but there were several things that bothered me. The daughter who was supposedly 12 seemed awfully young in her speech and thoughts sometimes. I really didn't buy the whole confusing of the word apparatus. I don't think my seven year old would do that. The whole starting her period storyline I could do without too. I think this book would have been better if it had fleshed out the problems between Abby and her mother, Her mother and her grandmother and so on. We didn't fi...more
Becky
Mar 25, 2010 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jamie West, Rachelle
This is another Great book by Robin Jones Gunn. The friendship that is shared in these books is so awesome, it makes me miss my really good friends. I want a million $$$$$$$ So I can take y'all on an awesome vacation like they do I these books. If you enjoy ready books about good times with good friends and ready about god you will really like these books.
Brandy
I liked this book buttoo many religious references for me. THat what kind of writer she is but sometimes it's a little overwhelming. This book wasn't as bad as some of the others though. The story was a good story though. The one thing that bothers me about her is how she takes so few risks with her story and characters.
Jessica
While this book was slow in the sense that it didn't compel me to turn the pages because the story line was incredibly gripping, it was a nice book, and quick read. It was a sweet story about the generational bonds that connect grandmothers, mothers, and their daughters throughout the generations. I quite enjoyed it.
Tara
I read this book a while ago. I did enjoy it much more than I anticipated but I thought that the blurb and it's attempt at hooking you was over ambitious. What happened as compared to how it was described left me disappointed. But overall, I enjoyed it- particularly the mother-daughter aspect.
Kimberly Panhorst
Got as free ebook...I did read through the whole thing, but must say it was a little challenging to get into the story. I think the idea(s) in the story line weren't bad, but it just could have made for a much more powerful story. I thought this was a pretty boring read, and wouldn't recommend.
Joelle
if you're looking for an easy quick read this was a nice book. My sister had read it and passed the title along to me. We discussed that it might have more of an impact on the mother of a daughter rather than myself, a mother with sons. I would say this is true.
  • The Debt
  • Covenant Child: A Story of Promises Kept
  • Embrace Me
  • Reconstructing Natalie
  • On This Day
  • Midnight Sea (The Aloha Reef Series #4)
  • The Marriage Wish
  • Broken Things: Two Women. Two Pasts. One Future (Faded Photograph #1)
  • A Song I Knew By Heart: A Novel
  • Presumed Guilty
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Tough
41954
ROBIN JONES GUNN is the much loved author of over 85 books. With nearly 5 million copies of her titles sold worldwide, her popular Christy Miller series now continues in Christy & Todd: The Married Years. Her novels and non-fiction works have received multiple awards and are a favorite with book clubs and study groups. Robin and her husband have a grown son and daughter and live in Hawaii.
More about Robin Jones Gunn...
Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 1 (Christy Miller, #1-3) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 2 (Christy Miller, #4-6) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 3 (Christy Miller, #7-9) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 4 (Christy Miller, #10-12) Until Tomorrow (Christy and Todd: College Years #1)

“It's funny whom we end up choosing to love and who ends up choosing to love us. It's rarely the people we think it should be.” 77 likes
“There are 365 "fear nots" in the Bible. One for every day of the year. Today I will fear not.” 6 likes