Start by marking “Trouble For Trumpets” as Want to Read:
Trouble For Trumpets

Trouble For Trumpets

Just as the Trumpets, summer creatures who live in a world of warmth and sunshine, prepare to hibernate, the Grumpets, winter creatures who live in the dark, frozen mountains of the north, prepare to take over their land.
Published June 23rd 1990 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Trouble For Trumpets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trouble For Trumpets

J.G. Keely
Feb 16, 2009 J.G. Keely rated it really liked it
Late in the night, sitting in my little college apartment, paper due in the morning. The mind begins to play tricks. I can't remember the one word I want. I've been stuck on the same sentence for long minutes, plumbing my brain. But what comes up isn't a term meaning 'profiting by use without ownership', oh no. I remember this book.

Not the title, of course, or anything pertinent; nothing that will cause it to show up in my google search. Seared into my brain are little hippo-shaped goblins, depi
Adam S Doyle
May 17, 2013 Adam S Doyle rated it it was amazing
An absolutely stunning book from my childhood, captivating me for hours and hours. Cross' imaginative and detailed illustrations are museum quality.
Hannah
A very strange kids' book about season changes as war, with enormous gorgeous illustrations. As a kid I was fascinated, more by the elaborate borders of the pictures than by anything else in the book - though in retrospect, the battle between the forces of summer and winter (and good and bad moods?) is interestingly weird. Now I own my family's copy, because my parents didn't want it in the house anymore.
Aug 19, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-reads
I don't remember the plot beyond the two warring species (they kind of looked like hippos), but every page was a wonder. I loved the field-guide aspect, where there were corresponding numbers and plants surrounding the art on each page; sort of a sophisticated Where's Waldo...
Jason
Jun 13, 2009 Jason rated it really liked it
Ok, don't want to put many kids books on here.. But this is one of the best! The illustrations are amazing. Someday I will buy it for my collection but it is hard to find because it's out of print and people want like $200 for it.
Johannes
Oct 10, 2007 Johannes rated it it was amazing
This may be the first book I ever loved.
Zoey Haskins
Sep 08, 2013 Zoey Haskins rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents, children
Shelves: children
First off, I'm reviewing this book primarily from a nostalgic perspective. I was given the hardcover edition of Trouble For Trumpets as a child, and spent hours examining the incredibly detailed artwork. Something new jumps out at you every time you look at it; this book is fantastic for inquisitive children and/or families with a love of natural history.
The story is an excusably unsubtle Cold War allegory and as such, fairly unremarkable given the prevailing attitudes of its time. However, the
Hayden
Aug 21, 2014 Hayden rated it it was amazing
The best book the world has ever seen.
Ben Schaffer
Nov 30, 2014 Ben Schaffer rated it liked it
False
Marielle
Mar 25, 2015 Marielle rated it it was amazing
This story is adorably dreamy. The art is completely inspiring in all the details and setting, and overall in how it brings studies of the little worlds you find in a garden to a playful level of wonder and imagination for children and adults as well. It has added to my appreciation for being outside in nature, and definitely inspired me to draw up imagined places and characters. It's a masterpiece, similar to works by Graeme Base and Stephen Biesty.
Max
Aug 11, 2007 Max rated it it was amazing
Hands down the best artwork I've ever seen in a book. Page after page of beautiful, detailed illustrations that kept me busy for hours at a time when I was growing up. The story is sort of a cold war espionage thriller involving tiny little muppety things called trumpets & grumpets. If part of you deep inside wants to see tiny pea-shooter machine guns strapped to the backs of sparrows, this is the book for you!
Jenny
Apr 09, 2009 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle
The Trumpets are peaceful creatures, but the mean Grumpets are planning an attack on them! The Trumpets must find out about the Grumpets' plot and prepare for a battle. Fantasy; great and involved illustrations.
joel
Mar 20, 2007 joel rated it it was amazing
I read the 1st edition, sometime in the 80s! A beautiful big hardcover with beautiful artwork inside! A treasure for any child, and now at the colects prices, a treasure for anyone! ...more
Rebecca
Jul 22, 2010 Rebecca rated it liked it
Don't know why I wrote this down, but I did. Large scale book with detailed illustrations of an entire civilization of Trumpet creatures.
Christine
Jan 28, 2008 Christine rated it it was amazing
Such a cool book that they no longer print. If you ever find one buy it. And then give it to me.
Jen
Mar 08, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing
This is the book I remember most fondly from when I was little. Amazingly detailed artwork.
Carolyn
Jul 13, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
My all-time favorite book when I was a kid
Melissa
Sep 16, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of my favorite children's books of all times
Mckinley
Aug 06, 2013 Mckinley rated it really liked it
This is a book to read for the illustrations.
Christina
Steve Palmer
Jul 28, 2013 Steve Palmer rated it it was amazing
favorite book growing up
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Darian
Darian rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Chris Gray
Chris Gray rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Tain
Tain marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Richard Allen
Richard Allen rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Siskiyou-Suzy
Siskiyou-Suzy marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Bstep
Bstep rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016